more ยป" />

Let There Be Light

by Meghann on January 29, 2012

We have light!

Last Thursday Derek and I were watching tv in the living room when we heard a faint ‘pop’ and all three lights in the fan’s light fixture went out above our heads. My first thought was how odd it was that all three lights would choose to go out at the time. What a weird coincidence, right? Wrong.

The next day Derek purchased three brand new light bulbs that he attempted to replace the old ones with. A flip of a switch, a pull of a string, and still no light. Dratz. We both sort of looked at each other with a “now what?” look to our eyes. I went away for the weekend and returned to the same dark cave I left. Where’s that landlord who fixes things when we need him? Oh, yeah – we own the place – this task was all on us.

So, in lieu of a landlord, we called the next best thing – Derek’s dad.

This is why I love living near family. Derek’s dad walked us through all of his trouble shooting steps to figure out what was wrong with the light, before concluding there was a shortage in the fan’s box and we had to replace the whole unit. He then helped us install the new one, while teaching us how each of the wires worked and what to do in case this happens again.

Derek and I aren’t the handiest people, but we’re learning – one broken light fixture at a time.

Success!

Thanks Steve for all the help today! We owe you. Again. ๐Ÿ™‚

Backing up… Derek and I dug into my stash of weekend leftovers for lunch.

He had a sandwich while I made a generous salad with red leaf lettuce, tortilla chips, turkey, blue cheese, salsa, carrots, and walnuts.

It was my take on a taco salad. ๐Ÿ™‚

After we hit the grocery store for enough food to get us through our upcoming short week, I made a new favorite snack.

A bowl of oranges and strawberries drizzled with a PB2 sauce. Looks funny in the photos, but tastes amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dinner was inspired by the bread bowls we stumbled upon at Publix.

Derek fell in love with clam chowder in a sourdough bowl when we were in San Francisco a couple of years ago and has been on the hunt for a perfectly portioned sourdough bread loaf for an at home version of it ever since. When we saw the mini bread bowls, we knew we had to try it.

Sourdough bread is great, but the pumpernickel option was more my cup of tea. Pumpernickel > sourdough :-p

I filled the bowls with a batch of this recipe that I found via FitSugar. I replaced the fish with chicken and it came out just fine.

Not exactly the same as what we had in San Francisco, but I still enjoyed our version. The soup was full of goodies and the bread added a nice carby touch.

A homemade chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

Our plans for the rest of the evening…

Good night!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

PUMPERNICKEL BREAD BOWL?! I want!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..My Dream Board

2 MrsSwan January 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Ahhhh yes- Home ownership! Fun stuff there!! NOT!

Just wait till you get to go out and snake your clean out valve or your toilet. @@

3 Emily January 30, 2012 at 12:03 am

We too are experiencing the marvels of home ownership, and we totally bought a fixer-upper! This weekend was spent tearing up the rotting deck that was covering the french drain which was installed completely backwards. So that’s why there are huge pools of water settled under the house! Super fun!

I don’t know about a pumpernickel bread bowl (can’t take my <3 out of SF) but your soup sure looks yummy!
Emily recently posted..Dine out night! With a baby!

4 JessicaE January 30, 2012 at 12:58 am

I am not very handy but luckily my husband IS. I swear, he can fix anything and that’s one of the may reasons I’m so grateful for him.

5 Kristen January 30, 2012 at 3:25 am

Yumm the soup bread bowl looks delish!!
Kristen recently posted..#4 Do a keg stand

6 Ash Bear January 30, 2012 at 6:58 am

I love the bread bowl idea! I’ll have to tell my mom that Publix carries them so she can make her own version! So excited for this week!
Ash Bear recently posted..Sun Wine Fest ‘12

7 Hillary January 30, 2012 at 7:01 am

I fell in love with bread bowls when they put a Panera in my hometown back in high school. A serving of bread the size of my face? Count me in!
Hillary recently posted..Five

8 Emily January 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

Ooo, breadbowls. I just haven’t eaten one of those in so long!
Emily recently posted..Sunday batch cooking

9 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 30, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love soup in a bread bowl! Especially the broccoli cheddar soup from Panera Bread. So good ๐Ÿ™‚ Was that movie any good?
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Finally An Answerโ€ฆ

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 30, 2012 at 8:09 am

Pumpernickel is better than sourdough!! When I was growing up, we’d have chili in a bread bowl for dinner every so often. I used to love piling on the cheese and letting it melt into the bread. Yum ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..17 Miler Hunger

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

Can’t wait to hear what you thought of the movie! It’s one I’ve been wanting to see because I read the book. Honestly, I thought the book was only so-so. I feel like it could have been more empowering toward working women who are juggling everything.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Youโ€™re so vain

12 Lisa January 30, 2012 at 8:32 am

That bread bowl sounds delicious however oranges and PB is one your creations that I cannot get behind!

13 Corey @ Learning Patience January 30, 2012 at 8:48 am

Soup in a bread bowl is delicious. Not sure about eating all that bread though…lots of carbs…lots! Glad you have light….
xoxo from Trinidad

14 Corey @ Learning Patience January 30, 2012 at 8:49 am

P.S. – How was the movie???
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Some of My Favorite Things

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 30, 2012 at 8:58 am

Oh gosh, I am the least handy person ever!!! I’d have to call my brother for help but I’m not sure how helpful he would be…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Giant Muffins and Miracle Noodles

16 Kathy January 30, 2012 at 9:10 am

I too love the pumpernickel bread bowl….must keep my eyes open for that next time I am shopping. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..12 Wks til the next HALF!

17 Kristin @ FoodFash January 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

It’s funny how landlords are a pain until you own your home. The second something goes wrong you can’t help but miss that former pain!

18 jena January 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Thankfully Chris is pretty handy. I don’t think we’ve ever had to hire anyone to do anything, or call someone to do anything. Chris is an electrician (so helpful!) and if he can’t figure it out, my Dad is a contractor who lives in an apartment in our garage, so that’s super duper handy.

Those bread bowls look delicious, but I’d explode from all that bread. I’d want to eat the bread & skip the soup!

19 Kristi January 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I watched that movie over the weekend. I thought it was good, but still lacking a little something. As a mom who has worked part-time from home while going to graduate school (on-line) I did empathize with the character, but I can NOT imagine working (and traveling) as much as she did!!!!

20 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Mmmmm…pumpernickel! So yummy!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Things

21 sarah January 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

mmm homemade bread bowl is a wonderful idea !!
sarah recently posted..Positivity Streak