more ยป" />

Wet and Dreary

by Meghann on January 27, 2012

‘Twas a wet and dreary morning around these parts.

Kelly and I actually got very lucky on our 12 mile run this morning. There was 84% humidity, grey clouds, and a light mist that caught up with us every once in a while, but that was it. We missed the huge downpour that took over the Tampa Bay area in the wee hours of the morning and instead of dodging rain, we just had to dodge big puddles. No biggie.

We were up before the sun and each had a rice cake with almond butter, pumpkin butter, and chocolate covered edamame before hitting the road.

I was excited to introduce Kelly to one of my favorite running loops in Tampa this morning. We’ve run together plenty of times in Orlando, not only a couple in Tampa. Unfortunately the temporary set-ups for the upcoming Gasparilla celebrations this weekend hindered the real beauty of this route.

Barricades, tents, and porta potties as far as the eye could see! The good news was, in case there was an emergency must-potty-now situation, we were covered. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kelly is recovering from a slight injury, so the miles were a little slower than we predicted. We chatted, hobbled, and braced ourselves for rain that never ended up making an appearance.

12 miles done and done.

After our run we met our friend Dee for breakfast at Pinky’s Diner.

Pinky’s is one of those places I’ve been told I’ve had to try since I moved to Tampa last March. They’re famous for their Saturday and Sunday morning brunches, where the wait for a table in the tiny place can take well over an hour. I’m told it’s worth it and the long wait or limited parking hasn’t stop people from coming back yet.

We had a small wait for a table for three, but nothing terrible. Once seated, I immediately ordered a double shot cafe con leche and enjoyed every sip.

Kelly ordered a regular coffee and was invited up to the coffee counter where she selected her cup and her brew of choice.

Go Dolphins! (that one’s for Anthony ;))

The menu was full of breakfast classics and everything everyone dined on around us looked amazing. Dee informed me that her co-workers rave about the oatmeal pancakes, which are their regular buttermilk pancakes with a hearty dose of oats added to the batter. I heard pancakes and was sold. An order of the short stack pancakes with strawberries and a side of scrambled egg please.

The pancakes were dense, yet fluffy and extremely filling thanks to the extra oats. The strawberries were really my favorite part. You could tell they were fresh slices that were added to the pancakes on the griddle and not simply mixed in the batch. Pancake perfection.

I loved the cute, funky vibe Pinky’s had to offer and I loved the food. I’ll definitely be back. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our fingers are crossed that the sky clears up before we head out for the bachelorette festivities this afternoon. Until then Kelly and I are catching on work stuff and piecing together last minute party favors. Penis straws anyone?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm

That’s so cool that you get to pick out your cup there. And those pancakes look divine!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Quinoa with Eggplant and Peppers

2 Chelsea January 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

pink lululemon jacket! I want that one SOOOO bad! I just can’t bring myself to spend that money ๐Ÿ™

3 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Those pancakes look so good ๐Ÿ˜‰ and don’t you love Trader Joe’s dark chocolate covered edamame?

I hope the weather clears up!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..#nerdproblems

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Chocolate covered edamame?!!? I never would have thought of that one!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fit Bit Friday 28

5 Brie January 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Kelly looks so much like your mom in that last picture!
Brie recently posted..Javier

6 Katie @ cooklaughmove January 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I thought the same thing!
Katie @ cooklaughmove recently posted..New Years Eve 2011

7 Sneakers2Sandals January 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Ah, I still need to try Pinky’s! The Brunchery is close to that area and also really delish!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Dairy Details

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm

oh gosh, those pancakes look so good. I had some oatmeal and apple ones once in Flagstaff, AZ and they were amazing. And good run! I actually ran 11 this morning, my personal PDR! Question: do you use fuel during your runs?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Who Loves New Stuff?

9 Meghann January 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yes, I usually have fuel for runs that are 12+ miles. I stole a couple of Kelly’s honey stingers around mile 12 and we shared a bottle of powerade along the way as well.

10 Cait's Plate January 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm

It’s wet and dreary here too – it must be like this all up and down the east coast! Congrats on the 12 miles! Such a great way to kick off the weekend.

And that breakfast?! Oh. my. goodness. Makes me want to be eating breakfast all over again!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..What Iโ€™m Loving: Baked Goods Edition

11 Hillary January 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Bachelorette party?! Make it count!
Hillary recently posted..Five

12 Jean January 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Kind of a random question-do you know where your sister’s shirt is from? I’m a huge fan of shirts that are tight up top but get looser around the midsection (empire waist? Is that a thing?). I’d love to get a similar one!

13 Meghann January 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

It’s Champion from Target. I have it in four different colors – LOVE it for running!

14 Poptartyogini January 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Your dedication never fails to amaze me. I’m impressed. Enjoy your penis straws. They’re fabulously Necessary! Wow. With a capital ‘n’. I guess I feel strongly about my male genetalia paraphernalia!
Poptartyogini recently posted..recipe: crock pot pork fajitas

15 christine @ BookishlyB January 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Gah! 12 miles should not be written in the near vicinity of the word “slow.”
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on You Back- Watch Out!

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

OH that pink Lululemon jacket….SO cute!

THat b-fast looks awesome. Holy yumm!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..11 Things Survey

17 Kalee January 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Pinky’s looks like so much fun!! I love the choose your own mug–too funny!

18 Ricole Runs January 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Strawberry pancakes sound delicious! I need to try that next time we have some. Nice run!

19 Courtney January 27, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Great job on your run and what a cute little breakfast restaurant! Have fun tonight… but not TOO much fun! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Courtney recently posted..Wordless Pinterest Wednesday!

20 corey @ learning patience January 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm

OMG those pancakes look incredible – wowsa!!!!
way to get those 12 miles done girl!
xoxo from Calgary
corey @ learning patience recently posted..Family and Friend Fun

21 Jackie @ Nutrition Success January 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I’m going to try to make similar pancakes tomorrow. They look great…

22 Becca January 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I have a penis straw and condoms from strangers in my purse from a bachelorette party last weekend! Hope you girls have as much fun as we did!

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 28, 2012 at 12:32 am

chocolate covered edamame?! WHAT?! How do I not know about this? ๐Ÿ˜€
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Week 2

24 Life's a Bowl January 28, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’ve never had strawberries in my pancakes but that sounds like an awesome idea topped with some PB!

P.S. That’s totes cool that you can choose your coffee cup!

25 Emily January 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

Nice job on your long run!

I love oats in my pancakes. It took getting used to initially, but now that is my favorite way to have them!
Emily recently posted..Mexican food + Fitness = ???