Sister, Sister

by Meghann on January 26, 2012

We have a visitor!

IMG_6434.jpg

And she brought beer!

IMG_6436.jpg IMG_6442.jpg

Well, the beer was mine, but Kelly really is here! She’s in town in preparation for Ashley’s bachelorette party this weekend and we have plans to run 12 miles together in the morning. Yay for sister bonding time! We cracked open my bottle of Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin in celebration of her arrival. 🙂

Before Kelly arrived, I had a granola bar snack.

And Derek and I split a bag of popcorn.

He wasn’t a big fan of the pop up bowl, so he dumped half in a regular bowl and I got to keep the rest. Party pooper.

P.S. La Croix is BOGO at Publix this week – stock up while you can!

Dinner was still up in air when Kelly arrived around 7:00pm. We rummaged around the fridge and came up with the idea for a quiche.

First – a layer of stale bread as the base for a crust.

Topped with a mix of:

• 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 crumbled lentil ‘meatballs’
  • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons spinach basil pesto
  • salt & pepper

IMG_6424.JPG IMG_6425.JPG

Baked for 35 minutes at 375

Done!

My favorite bites were the ones with the crusty bread crust on the edge.

Served with brussels sprouts.

We broke out a jar of cookie mix that Derek received as a Christmas gift for dessert.

IMG_6465.JPG IMG_6466.JPG

I had one hot out of the oven.

Yum.

Now Kelly and I are chillin’ in front of the tv watching No Strings Attached on Netflix instant play. We also just got done playing Glee Karaokee (I still haven’t convinced Derek to duet with me yet in that game!) and caught ourselves up on mutual friend gossip. I <3 my sister!

Can’t wait to run in the morning!

Good Night!

1 Mindy-Clueless Nut January 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I love sister time!
Mindy-Clueless Nut recently posted..WIAW

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Looks like such a fun time with your sister! Dinner looks so good, I think Brussels sprouts are my fav vegetable right now and I love quiche too. Can’t wait to hear about the bachelorette party!!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Want to go out to eat with me?

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 26, 2012 at 10:15 pm

you are so ridiculously creative when it comes to making meals! Seriously, I would never think of these things!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sleeping Beauty… Or Not.

4 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect January 26, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Haha, I actually watched No Stings Attached last night on Netflix instant to make my treadmill run more interesting. I thought it was ok, but I don’t know if I was expecting much to being with. Natalie Portman is adorable! 🙂
Leanne @ The Skinny Architect recently posted..Mexican Veggie Salad Beast

5 Ash Bear January 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm

This quiche actually would have been perfect tonight!! I’ll have to remember it in the future. I bet I could make a mini version too.
Ash Bear recently posted..Hills and Trains

6 Tracey January 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Miss Kelly’s blog posts! Maybe she could do a guest post on your blog this weekend while she is visiting? 😉

7 megan January 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

i agree!!

8 Liz January 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I miss her blog, too! She should definitely be a regular guester on your blog 🙂 I saw No Strings Attached at the theater – I prefer Friends with Benefits (similar concept), but that one’s cute, too.

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love Shipyard beer but it is incredibly hard to find in the Chicago area!! Their pumpkin is definitely my favorite!

10 MrsSwan January 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Awwwww what fun!

The cookies look AMAZING!!!

11 Christine @ BookishlyB January 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I watched that last week. It was horrible! And yet mindless and entertaining enough to grade papers to. Someday when they do a roast Natalie is going to get so much crap about the whole period behavior/mix tape schtick in it.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on You Back- Watch Out!

12 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

reading this post makes me miss my sister! sisters are indeed pretty awesome. glad you had a fun evening together!

p.s. i love the idea to put some stale bread as a “crust” for the quiche!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Getting Excited About Your Workouts

13 Ricole Runs January 26, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I love Glee Karaoke! We need to get a 2nd microphone though so we can duet…! Have a great run tomorrow and have fun with your sister!
Ricole Runs recently posted..A Chainsaw Expert & Mazerunner

14 Marissa Elliot January 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Please tell me you eat more than you actually post on your blog. Your portions are so tiny. It doesn’t seem healthy for someone ask active as you.

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

I watched No Strings Attached just the other day. Thank goodness for Netflix sometimes! 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Week 2

16 Kathy January 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

I have eaten brussel sprouts but never cooked them….is it easy?

The beer looks tasty! 😉
Kathy recently posted..WHEW!

17 Meghann January 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I think they’re easy to cook. You can steam them or you can roast them just like any other veggie 🙂

18 Sara January 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

I just came across your blog when Julie over at Peanut Butter Fingers linked to you because you got engaged, congratulations! I got engaged in early December (not nearly as awesomely as you did, so cute!) and am starting wedding planning too. I can’t wait to read about your progress! I love your blog, as a former couch potato turned runner myself. One question, and I’m sure that you’ve posted on this before, but do you usually post your snacks as well as meals? I struggle to balance my diet to fuel me for all the running I do, so I love reading what other runners eat.

19 Meghann January 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Welcome! I usually post my snacks and my meals. Right now I’m training for a half marathon in a couple of weeks, but I’ll start training for the Flying Pig full shortly after. Let me know if you have any questions and CONGRATS on your engagement as well! 🙂

20 Emily January 27, 2012 at 9:10 am

I think that was an AWESOME idea for a quiche. Thanks for sharing. I definitely plan on making this (with my own ingredients!)
Emily recently posted..An Explosion (in the microwave)

21 Poptartyogini January 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

What a great night. I feel so blessed to have a sister too. I always think ‘sisters by chance. Friends by choice’. Happy bonding!
Poptartyogini recently posted..mood: crabby appleton

22 Cait's Plate January 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

Aw so jealous! I need some good sister time soon!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Dinners Lately

23 Christina January 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

Sounds like the beginning of a great time!

Glee karaoke seems like it would be a blast! The only way Ken would even consider doing duet style would be if no one was there and he could get achievements for his xbox. maybe that would do it.

Those chocolate chip cookies look so yum.. i’ve been craving chocolate chips the whole week!
Christina recently posted..Be Thankful Challenge–Completed

24 Aleyta January 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

What a creative meal!

25 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

I miss pumpkin beer! Sooo reminds me of fall. But sadly I have no will power and drank all of mine then :).

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

Ahhhh sister time is THE best! Have fun!

27 Sarah January 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’d call your dinner more of a Strata than a quiche. Quiche is pastry crust, but strata is when you use bread chunks. In face, the Pioneer Woman just did one! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/01/sausage-kale-strata/

28 Emily G. January 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I thought I liked sparkling water and when my grocery store had them on sale for $2.19 I was excited. I also went to LaCroix’s website and printed a coupon for $1.00 off. Each 12-pack was $1.19. Of course, I was NOT fan. Maybe mixed with a splash of vodka it could be sort of like a vodka tonic. Maybe.

29 Life's a Bowl January 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

Casseroles and cookies- sounds like a fun girls night!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Five Things Friday

30 Tiffany January 28, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Meghann! I know in a previous post you were talking about lace ivory dresses for engagement pictures; I was on http://www.delias.com today and saw some pretty cute ones. It made me think of you so if you haven’t bought one yet check them out!