Sandwiched

by Meghann on January 26, 2012

If you were to look back and dissect my 3+ years worth of lunches on this blog, you would come to two conclusions.

#1 – I eat a LOT of leftovers for lunch. Waste not, want not – right?

#2 – my favorite way to eat those leftovers is in sandwich form.

Particularly all grilled together in one big happy sandwich of leftovers.

Just like today’s lunch, which featured Tuesday night’s lentil ‘meatballs’ and Wednesday night’s mashed rutabaga sandwiched between two sliced on honey oat bread and grilled to perfection.

I should have added cheese. It was definitely missing cheese. 😉

You’ll probably also discover that I eat a lot of carrot sticks on the side of these sandwiches.

Carrot sticks from whole carrots that I peel and cut with one of my favorite knives. It takes about 2 minutes and tastes sooooo much better than baby carrot sticks.

Typically when I discuss the focus of my blog with friends, family, or random strangers off the street, they usually shake their head and say something along the lines of “people would get so bored of my food – I eat the same thing everyday!” Well, the truth is, I feel like I eat the same thing too – just slightly different versions of the same thing. When it all boils down to it, we are all creatures of routine and comfort – especially when it comes to food! 🙂

FYI: The new Skinny Caffe Mocha at Starbucks tastes just like a hot chocolate.

IMG_6415.jpg

I had a free coupon (my second free coupon in three months <-proof I come to Starbucks wayyyyy too much) and wanted to try it. Eh. I think I prefer just a plain ole non-fat latte. This one was a tad too sweet for my taste. I think hot chocolates should be reserved for Christmas time and ski vacations.

Need to feel inspired? Watch this.

Love the message behind this video. It’s about being fit and healthy, not skinny.

And now I want to try CrossFit. There was a great article in Runner’s World last month on the benefits of CrossFit when incorporated into marathon training. I bought a Groupon deal for the local CrossFit gym months ago and I think it’s about time I put it to use. 🙂

1 Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I recall Starbucks having skinny mochas a few years back, then discontinuing the syrup (and thus the drink) – I wonder if it tastes the same?

I also eat a lot of leftovers for lunch – but usually just re-heated. Definitely makes things easier!
Grace @ What Grace Cooked recently posted..Our Windowsill Garden

2 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I think it’s the same. They brought back the syrup over the holidays and are keeping it on for now at least

3 Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Good to know!!

4 michaela January 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Actually the skinny mocha is made from a powder now. Before it was a syrup and people didn’t think it tasted right (a barista told me this recently). I think both are gross. The current version tastes way too fake to me.

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Great video!! I agree on the baby carrots – those taste NOTHING like the real deal!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thursday notes… and some exciting news!

6 Marie January 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

How is that possible? Baby carrots are regular carrots that are just basically pre-cut.

7 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Agree about carrots!!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..When bad things happen to good people.

8 Carissa January 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am ironically not a traditional sandwich fan at all. I used to order them with “half meat”. Basically I like bread! Since discovering the joy of leftovers my lunches are much more healthy and filling!

I haven’t converted to sandwich form leftovers yet….maybe wrap form?

9 MrsSwan January 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I wanna know what this favorite knife is. LOL
I almost asked about the carrots last week but didn’t. I am glad that you mentioned it on your own so now I don’t have to wonder. 🙂

10 Krista January 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Oh please don’t do Corssfit, I’m so sick of hearing about it on Carrots n cake blog!! Only kidding, sort of 😉

11 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

oh, that’s mean! The funny thing is that when I googled ‘ Runner’s World Crossfit Article’ Tina’s blog popped up. It’s something I’ve been thinking about trying for a while. I’m sure people are just as annoyed on hearing about NROLFW on my blog. I only have about a month and a half left on that program and after I was finished with that, I was planning on using my month of Crossfit I purchased on Groupon last fall. We’ll see…

12 Teri January 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I second that! I stopped reading CNC because of the NONSTOP crossfit talk.

13 MelanieF January 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I agree with Meghann, that was a mean comment! No need to put down Tina’s blog on another blog.

14 Reenie January 26, 2012 at 9:54 pm

ITA…..I mean it is “her” blog!!

And Meghann ~ I enjoy hearing about NROLW….I bought the book….just haven’t put it to use. HA!

15 Ali @ahatfield08 January 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I think that doing cross training (cross fit/boot camp) during training makes a HUGE difference. I PR’ed in my half when I was running and cross training.

16 Megs January 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Take the strength and body composition gains you see from NROLFW and x 10 from waht you will see in Crossfit. Its the community aspect that will leave the biggest imapct though.

Its also a great place to make friends when you move to a new city! 🙂

17 Cait's Plate January 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh my – that looks ABSOLUTELY delicious. I really need to make more paninis in my life.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Feels So Good

18 Heather January 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

i spy a mizfit look alike in that video!
Heather recently posted..More Letters!

19 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I saw her too!

20 Poptartyogini January 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love carrots with lunch too. I don’t mind the babies though
Poptartyogini recently posted..mood: crabby appleton

21 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Your sandwiches always look so delicious, even if they are just recycled leftovers 🙂

And bummer about the skinny mocha but I agree that most of Starbucks mocha flavors are very sweet!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Overnight Oats in an Apple Pie Preserves Jar {OOIAAPPJ}

22 Lindsey January 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I agree the mocha was too sweet for me too!
Lindsey recently posted..A New Favorite Cookie Recipe

23 Fallon January 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Great video. I love it, strong and sexy!
Fallon recently posted..Dangerous Chocolate Bars

24 jennyv January 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I LOVE the philosophy of CrossFit. I attend a gym that is “CrossFit’esque” if you will. (The owner of my gym also is a co-owner of a CrossFit gym).

I grew up playing team sports, then ran a couple halfs and a full marathon and am now enjoying my bootcamp classes. I have NEVER been so challenged both mentally and physically and my strength comes from within… and at the same time I have a room of people cheering me on to finish too.

You will not be disappointed in CrossFit!

25 Angela January 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I am a crossfitter (CROSSFIT603 REPRESENT!) and I was already so unbelieveably proud of what we do and what we promote and that video really capture the essense of why I love it. I have always struggled with weight. and after losing 94lbs I was sure that the gym was not the place for what I wanted any more..

Crossfit teaches you to step of the scale and ignore the numbers…feel strong…be strong…its not about muscles or size..its about pulling that strength from inside. Its amazing and you WILL NOT be disappoint.

26 Erin January 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I never think to put my leftovers into a sandwich. Not sure why! Also, I quit buying baby carrots once I read that most of them are really just regular carrots cut up.

I did a month of CrossFit in 2011 and loved the beginner class I took. I’m still a little intimidated by the idea of doing the “regular” classes, though. I currently have a month-long pass I need to use but keep putting it off.
Erin recently posted..A Tail of Two Trainers

27 Michelle @ The Cooking Life January 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m not a CrossFit-er but I know quite a few people who are. And one of the girls in the video, the girl in the blue shirt with the guy’s arm around her, I know them! I am not able to do CrossFit right now b/c I’m 29 weeks pregnant and have had to stop exercising (I still walk though) but I have so much respect for people who do it. It’s neat to see so many strong women who are doing this! A lot of them are my friends and I’m proud of them. I’m a size 6 (and growing, haha, b/c of my baby) and it’s crazy to think that that is considered plus-size. WHATEVER to that 🙂 After I deliver my baby, I plan on getting back into my running routine and kettlebells for strength-training. I have to be honest and say it’d be nice if I could go back to my pre-pregnancy weight (or college weight) but we’ll see! As long as I am healthy and fit and can take care of my family and stay active, I will be thankful.
Michelle @ The Cooking Life recently posted..recipe: orange chicken.

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Agreed on the carrots thing—-taste SO much better as real carrots sliced up!!

I love lifting weights (doesn’t need to be CF necessarily) and it makes me feel strong, confident, and I could care less what the media or models say about any size. It’s dumb to base stuff off of a silly number.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Weights + Cardio Circuit Workout

29 Brie January 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

LOVE it. I shared with my box!
CrossFit is amazing. You need to do it, for real! I have a post on my blog about CrossFit tips for newbies, you should check it out before you go: http://www.brie-fit.com/2011/09/on-being-a-crossfit-newbie/
Brie recently posted..Javier

30 Cher January 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Just because you’re a size 0, 2, 4, whatever, doesn’t mean you can’t be healthy and strong! Not a very inspiring video in my opinion!

31 Lauren January 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I agree. Just as it’s not right to demonize someone for being heavier – or assuming they’re not healthy, strong, and fit – it’s also not right to demonize someone for being thin. The ‘skinny is unhealthy’ mantra is equally destructive to women.

Additionally, I also don’t feel right about showing footage of women who are *visibly* sick just to elicit a reaction. There’s a difference between being naturally thin, and being anorexic/bulimic/otherwise eating-disordered. In my mind, videos like this don’t necessarily draw attention to the plight of women suffering from a very real, all-consuming illness – they ostracize them.

32 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I LOVED that video!!! I’ve also really been wanting to try CrossFit, it’s just so expensive! I’m always on the hunt for a groupon so I can try it out, and after that video, I want to even more!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Running is Like Dancing

33 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I feel like all the bloggers I follow tend to eat similar things, and I don’t mind – I love seeing little ways they mix it up! And I totally eat the same thing all the time.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sleeping Beauty… Or Not.

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Wow, awesome video. I’ve really been wanting to try out crossfit lately and this just amplifies that. Too bad it’s so far away from me. 🙁
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Roasted cabbage with a lime peanut sauce

35 Jen @ Whittle My Middle January 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I loved that video! So inspirational. My favorite line was about feeling good in your own skin rather than a number on the scale.
I’ve been doing Cross fit for a few months now and I love it and would totally recommend it!
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Metabolic Training

36 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 26, 2012 at 3:32 pm

My lunches are usually mixes of leftovers, too. It’s kind of the odd-meal-out in that way. I like new things for dinner and most of my leftovers would be way wacky for breakfast!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Quinoa with Eggplant and Peppers

37 Alexia January 26, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I don’t blame you for wanting to try Crossfit – it looks like an awesome experience! It is just so tough reading these blogs lately…I know Crossfit is good for you, but it is a heck of paycheck that you lose just to belong. I think it is kind of ridiculous how much they charge, when most of the equipment is just in some old warehouse. I would love to try it, but will never be able to afford it, and I’m ok with that. I can run for free every day, and use my body weight for strength. I think Crossfit is kind of going against its nature in charging so much – they say that anyone can get fit anyone can do it, but not anyone can – you have to pay a pretty penny to do so. If you got a groupon, awesome!! It would be cool to try! But, I have to admit, when I have seen blogs just talk and talk and talk about Crossfit, it becomes hard to relate, because it is something that is hard to imagine paying for. If only groupons were endless!!

38 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I agree with you, but I find that’s true with most fitness stuff, which is why I think it’s fun to try the stuff out through Groupons. I bought the deal because I wanted to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. People have to go crazy over it for a reason, but I’m sure it’s quite possible to get the same workout at home for free using your own bodyweight. I know my gym posts ‘WODs’ on the community board everyday for people to try that have a Crossfit feel to them. We’ll see what happens.

39 Emily January 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I read the blog http://yesiwantcake.com/ and she does CrossFit in her garage with home equipment. I think it is possible to do CrossFit w/o the expenses. Maybe take a series of classes first, then incorporate the exercises in your home routine?
Emily recently posted..What I learned on my summer vacation

40 Julie January 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

My biggest problem with CrossFit is that it’s so expensive! I mean $200 a month for 13 classes… I’d love for someone to create a CrossFit gym that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!
Julie recently posted..True Story.

41 Laura January 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

CrossFit CrossFit CrossFit.

I’m obsessed.
Laura recently posted..What I’m Reading

42 Megan January 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

The NEW in front of the Skinny Caffe Mocha pulled me in the last time I was in SB, but I was also less than impressed. I like coffee, don’t need it to be chocolated up! I love the strong is sexy idea that crossfit is bringing to the world. I agree that a size six is not a plus size, but in discussing that the people in the video seem to hate on thin people…they’re all anorexic or they’re all obsessed with the number and not their health. As a strong size zero…can’t we all just get along?!
Megan recently posted..Mental Grit

43 Corey @ Learning Patience January 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

you and your pannni machine…you are slowly making me want one – a couple more months reading this blog and ill have to get one!

xoxo from Lake Louise…
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Off to Lake Louise

44 Kathy January 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Great little video….I hope everyone’s thinking and image of one’s self can change to the fit/healthy image. And know how individual it really is…some one may be healthy and fit at a size 12 while the next is the size 4/6.

😉
Kathy recently posted..WHEW!

45 Jessica January 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’ve been really wanting to try crossfit also!
Jessica recently posted..It’s Official – and Cancer is Still a Bitch!

46 Laura January 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm

DO CROSSFIT! seriously, it was the best decision i ever made. i love it! the community and support you get in the box is like no other.

47 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I actually read an article highlighting how scarybad cross fit is. But I’ve also read other that have me intrigued. So I’ll let you be the guinea pig! Let us know all about it!

48 Maren January 26, 2012 at 6:03 pm

You do make the best sandwiches!! I always look to this blog for inspiration. I need a panini press though to take my sandwiches to the next level.
Maren recently posted..HolyI’mInTroubleNow

49 Max January 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I agree that sandwichs are the best form to eat leftovers – especially Thanksgiving leftovers. I’m sure the Sandwich King would also agree (food network junkies)
Max recently posted..3D Conversion

50 Emily January 26, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I find all the flavored drinks at Starbucks too sweet. If I’m interested in adding syrup to a drink I always ask for half the number of pumps of syrup. Then I get a drink with added flavor that isn’t so sweet I can’t taste the coffee.
Emily recently posted..What I learned on my summer vacation

51 Army Amy* January 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Aw man! Sounds like I need to switch to regular carrots to see if they really do taste better than the baby carrots I’ve been eating.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Where Have the Role Models Gone?

52 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness January 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm

My Starbucks fav is a Misto. It’s on the menu, but I never hear anyone order it. All it is is steamed milk and coffee (similar to a latte) but because they add coffee in instead of a shot of espresso there is less milk which = less calories. I think a skim grande is only 60 or so. Try it!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..From Sickness to Healthy Eats: Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi

53 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I agree with you on the carrot sticks, they taste so much better when I peel and cut them from whole carrots than the baby carrots in a bag…those are too slimy for me.
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Feeling {that} Burn

54 Courtney January 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

You’re going to LOVE Crossfit! EPIC!
Courtney recently posted..Fillin’ Up My Buggy

55 Cammy @ LazyHealthy January 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Cross Fit sounds quite appealing, but I’m not really a group fitness kind of girl. I like to zone out in the gym or on a trail. It’s that, and the fact that I already pay for a YMCA membership that holds me back.

56 Corrie @ Blurb Column January 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

My hubby told me not too long ago that he really preferred whole cut-up carrots to baby carrots, so that is what we have been doing. I admit: whole cut-up carrots retain the sweet carrot flavor way better!
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..Where have you been?

57 Victoria Runs January 27, 2012 at 7:27 am

Size 6 plus size? Silly.

I really want to try CrossFit too! Everyone seems to be doing it… let me drink some of that koolaid
Victoria Runs recently posted..Do YOU Karaoke at Spin Class?

58 Margaret January 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

I try to convince everyone that big carrots cut down into small pieces are WAYYYYY better than baby carrots! So much sweeter 🙂
Definitely going to have to try the Skinny Cafe Mocha….sounds delicious!

59 Ezrah January 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

It is also my habit to cook leftovers to make an usual dish or snack. The taste doesn’t really count that much for me when using leftovers as long as it is still edible and doesn’t taste gross or something similar. I do not want to waste good food. You can always experiment. That’s the beauty of cooking.
Ezrah recently posted..how to get a girlfriend