From Pin to Hair

by Meghann on January 25, 2012

Yes, it’s another Pinterest inspired post. Please forgive me. After resisting for so long, I’ve fallen hard into the land of Pinterest and can’t find my way out. I’m sure it’s a phase that will pass. You know, just like that whole Facebook and Twitter thing. πŸ˜‰ <- ha!

There are a handful of themes you see play themselves out constantly on Pinterest: Food, Weddings, Home, DIY, Fashion, Hair, etc. I tend to mainly focus on weddings and food (two of my favorite things at the moment), but every once in a while a hair tutorial pin will pop up and have me thinking ‘hmmm…that looks easy.’ I’ll pin it and that will be it.

Katy is a great hair inspiration. She’s had success attempting some of the hair tutorials on her end, so I wanted to give one a whirl too. Really the only thing I know how to do with my hair is curl it, straighten it, braid it, or put it in a ponytail. Besides that I’m useless.

We all have to start somewhere right? Enter today’s inspiration pin courtesy of TheBeautyDepartment.com

t

Source: thebeautydepartment.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Looks easy enough, right? Braid, weave, pin, done. I could do that. Maybe. Let’s give it a try and see how it goes!

(You know, without the fancy lights, fancy camera, and super-adorable-but-I-could-never-pull-off-in-a-million-years-and-trust-me-I’ve-tried bangs. πŸ˜‰ Oh! and excuse the dirty mirror. Must. Clean. Soon.)

IMG_6303.jpg

I started out with a natural wave to my hair, so I skipped step one and jumped straight to the rest.

Two buns on top, three braids on the bottom (that are then gently loosened).

IMG_6305.JPG IMG_6317.jpg

The braids on the bottom are pinned in a ‘weaving’ pattern.

IMG_6319.jpg IMG_6321.JPG

I did a french braid to the top two buns and finished by pinning them in place.

IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6328.JPG

Not exactly like the original photo, but it’s a start! The tricky part was pinning the braids and messing with the excess hair at the bottom of the hair tie. Mine ended up being more of a messier bun than what was presented in the photo, but I would say that’s not a bad thing – I kind of like the mess and it’s fun to have something different than just a ponytail. I might try this next time we go to the theme parks or have to be outside in the sun for extended periods of time, it’s so much cooler on the head than a long pony tail. πŸ™‚

Have you ever attempted a hair tutorial you found online? How did it go?

I enjoyed my new Pinterest inspired ‘do while eating my Pinterest inspired leftovers.

I layered the leftover lentil meatballs on some balsamic marinated grilled portobello mushrooms and covered them with ricotta cheese and the spinach basil pesto.

For how amused I was by how the ‘broken balls’ looked last night, I still standby how tasty they were. Especially reheated and served today with the ricotta and the pesto. The whole ones also held up nicely in the tupperware container, I guess I shouldn’t let a few ‘broken balls’ spoil the bunch. πŸ˜‰

The recipe made a TON of them, so I’ll be enjoying these babies for a while. Luckily I heard they freeze well too. Freezer = my best friend πŸ™‚

Peace out!

1 Rebecca January 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I LOVE the hairdo! I wish I could braid (tt took me years to master the ponytail)!

2 Christina January 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That is a cute hair idea! I might try it too.

Pinterest is dangerous! I can lose hours.. hours!.. on there!
Christina recently posted..Not What I Imagined…

3 AlisonJ January 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I followed an online tutorial for curling my hair with a curling iron (never had done it by myself before!). It wasn an instant success, but gave me a better visual that eventually I got it (well, sort of…still need to practice!!)

4 Poptartyogini January 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

You did great with your hair!! I’m impressed. I’ve got a pixie so there’s only so much you can do there. And you’re right. Never let a few broken balls spoil the bunch.
Poptartyogini recently posted..yoga: tuesday’s practice

5 diana@mymarblerye January 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

omg your meal looks like a spider! I’m scared! Nice job on the hair! I have way toooo straight hair (asian!) so there is no way I can get my hair to look like that without tons of products!
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Hi Fun

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

CUTE hairdo!! I love me some Pinterest–gotta start working on the ideas I pin though, hah.

7 Jordan@almondjay January 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’m impressed! You’re even wearing yellow like the tutorial haha. I tried the sock bun to create curls but sadly my hair is not long enough yet so it just looked like I was wearing a sock in my hair πŸ™‚
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..Can I have a do-over morning please?

8 Kathy January 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm

funny…I may have to try that “do” too. πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..Finally made an appointment

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Are you KIDDING me!? I can’t even do a simple side braid in the front of my head. I’m seriously impressed. I seem to have not gotten that girly “I can do my hair” gene. It’s either down or in a ponytail over here.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cheeze, please

10 abbi January 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Yours looks pretty good! I’ve seen lots of these on Pinterest and think so many look pretty. I’m pretty sure they’d be disasters if I tried but some day when I’m bored (and alone, my husband would definitely make fun of me trying), I’ll attempt some!
abbi recently posted..I Don’t Play By the Rules

11 Faith @ For the Health of It January 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ooh, that bun looks adorable! I have zero hair-doing talents so mine would just look like a huge lump in the back of my head, im sure, but yours looks really close to the picture!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Comment on Cheater, Cheater, Tofu Eater by Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog

12 Courtney January 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Yay for jumping on the pinterest bandwagon! It is such a fun site! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Art and Breakfast

13 Katie G @ Just Roll With It January 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Wow, this is really good! I am hair challenged, even with a tutorial, I can never seem to do anything with my hair! Great job and love the pictures of the whole process. Also, cute outfit!
PS: I’m obsessed with Pinterest too! Especially dangerous while planning a wedding, my fiance probably gets tired looking at wedding pictures every night, but it has also given us some great ideas that we are using for the reception!
Katie G @ Just Roll With It recently posted..Flowers Galore

14 NJ January 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm

OK I didn’t click the link to this just going off the picture… Questions…

1) Why do you have to curl your hair for this one?
2) What does she want you to do with the top two buns if you can’t french braid?

I might be slightly challenged when it comes to hair but I wanna try. And you did a great job on yours.

PS – I think you have to have a certain type of look to have blunt bangs like that. I can’t do it either.

15 Meghann January 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

The site suggests curling it so the extra hair at the end is easier to hide, I guess stick straight it a little harder to hide in the braids? And if you can’t french braid, the site just recommends braiding as you did the first three.

16 NJ January 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Sorry I should have clickied!

Meh, I won’t curl mine either and I think it will work. Thanks for pinning.

17 Jen @ Whittle My Middle January 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I like the end result! I like how you broke it down. I was confused looking at the original pin but I’m fancy-hair challenged.

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Haha I actually never do anything with my hair… but this has definitely inspired me to try a little more!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–A Day of Repeats

19 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

FABULOUS braids (on you)!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Foggy Bottom

20 Kristen January 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Super cute! I love that website but haven’t tried any of their hairstyles because I’m hair challenged (in a pony or down are basically the only option when I do my own hair) …good inspiration to try this for myself!
Kristen recently posted..Prep for #23

21 Meg at runridelove.com January 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I love the hair! I wish I could do things like that. But my hair is stick straight and baby fine, very hard to work with. Pair that with zero skill or patience, and you have a ponytail. Every day.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Base Training: Week 3

22 Cait's Plate January 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Wow – I’m impressed! I don’t know that I could do that on myself!

(Also? I LOVE your outfit!)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Top 5: Breakfast Edition

23 deva at deva by definition January 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I love the hair! I have extremely fine, thin hair that right now is relatively short. I wish that I could wear hairstyles like yours, but shorter hair looks so much better with my hair texture.

Right now, I’m just trying to learn how to French braid my own hair!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Late to the Party

24 emily January 25, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Your end ‘do is gorgeous!! I’m seriously impressed by anyone who can multi-braid their own hair; I don’t have the arm strength for more than a simple single one!

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

That looks fairly simple…I kind of want to give it a try. I have a feeling my attempt will be a major fail. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Zucchini Muffins

26 Army Amy* January 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm

It came out so cute! I can’t even braid, so I couldn’t even attempt that look.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Outrunning the Rain

27 Hillary January 25, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Really cute! I want to try this. I wonder if I have the patience.

28 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

That’s so cute! I might have to try this sometime. How long did it take you?
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Hitting the Barre For Some Fun

29 Anne P January 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Wow I am SUPER impressed by that hair! It came out so cute πŸ™‚
Anne P recently posted..Track Workouts Are Back!

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I did the no heat headband curler last week – IT’S AWESOME!!! Probably the coolest thing ever.

I tried doing the sock bun and it did NOT work for me!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..new chobani flavors giveaway!

31 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

So cute!! I’m addicted to pinterest as well.. I’m a server and I’ve experimented with several different hair do’s that put your hair out of your face (a must for my job) and they’ve all been super cute!

32 Tara January 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

LOVE the ‘do! I’m not good at doing my own hair but MM (mini-me) likes to try new stuff so she usually finds things online and has me try them on her. It’s so fun, especially when it turns out right. πŸ™‚

33 Milan January 26, 2012 at 1:46 am

I have a question- how did you weave your hair? Sorry I’m a little blur on that hehehe. Your hair looks awesome!!

34 Katy Widrick January 26, 2012 at 9:40 am

ADORABLE. Let’s get together and braid sometime soon!
Katy Widrick recently posted..Willpower is a Muscle?

35 Jo January 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Why does your hair grow so fast?! any tips?

36 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

My nails grow really fast too, I think it’s just in my genes. I’m sorry – I wish I had tips!

37 ashley January 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

Love your outfit!! Can we see the whole thing?!

38 Meghann January 26, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks! I’ve already tossed it in the hamper, but it’s just an olive green dress from Old Navy and a yellow cardigan also from Old Navy. πŸ™‚

39 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner January 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

The Small Things blog taught me how to curl my hair (found her blog thru Pinterest). I can’t get enough of her tutorials – hair + makeup! Now that my hair is long I might have to try this one!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..eating for fuel

40 Grace January 29, 2012 at 10:18 am

Cute hair!!

41 sarah January 29, 2012 at 11:22 am

I may just try this TODAY!
sarah recently posted..Live Fit Trainer Phase 1 Recap