Protein Packed Dip

by Meghann on January 24, 2012

Rise and shine! It’s running time!

My legs were itching to run this morning. It’s always so much easier to get up and get out the door when I know I’m literally just walking out the door to run. When there’s driving involved and the need to go from point A to point B, it’s always a tad bit harder to motivate myself to start moving.

I have a confession. Ever since my holiday down in Key West at the beginning of the month, I’ve been failing miserably at sticking to my training plan for the St. Pete half marathon. I’ve been running and attempting some speed work, but haven’t looked at my plan once. I’m not sure why (I love sticking to plans!) I just think that maybe I’m scared I can’t hit the goals I’ve attached to it and I would rather not know. Worst logic ever, I know.

I’m hoping that will change. I’m recommitting myself to the plan and seeing it through to the end. My goal is at the very least to PR. A 1:45 half marathon would simply be icing on the cake at this point, if I don’t reach it I’m not going to beat myself up over it.

Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 9.29.34 AM.png

And by recommitting, I mean starting tomorrow. I made the pact with myself after I already ran 5 miles with some intervals instead of the 4 miles at an 8:30 pace like the plan asked for. The good news is that the 1/2 mile intervals averaged a 7:45-ish pace and I finished the 5 miles in just over 41 minutes totals for a 8:17 min/mi overall pace. πŸ˜‰

Breakfast

The star of the plate was a protein-packed dip I created with 1/3 cup plain Chobani, 2 spoonfuls of PB2, a couple splashes of milk, chia seeds, and pumpkin butter.

The addition of the pumpkin butter gave the dip some sweetness, honey would have worked too.

Paired with apple slices for dipping. πŸ™‚

Side of toast with pumpkin butter and walnuts.

The toast ended up in the dip too, as did my tongue as I licked the bowl clean. πŸ˜‰ You can’t beat the mix of peanut butter and pumpkin butter. I was also attempted to add chocolate protein powder for even more of a protein kick. Maybe next time. πŸ˜‰

What’s you favorite homemade dip for apples or fruit? Nothing beats good old fashion peanut butter, but it’s also fun to experiment with new ones. πŸ™‚

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

That dip sounds like a great idea! Reminds me that I forgot to buy yogurt yesterday….hmmm..
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Statin’ & Updatin’

2 Lindsey January 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

Mixing plain Greek yogurt and peanut butter πŸ™‚ It is my newest obsession.

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 24, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love melting chocolate and pb together. Half snack, half dessert. πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Crispy curry roasted broccoflower

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yum! My favourite homemade dip is Greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon, vanilla, and sometimes a bit of stevia. It goes well with everything, pancakes included!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Food from Home: Shawarmas!

5 Sara January 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

Today is National Peanut Butter Day!

6 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

I mix peanut flour (basically PB2 with no salt or sugar) with greek yogurt, a pinch of salt, and truvia all the time. I would say it’s my favorite fruit dip, but I eat it with a spoon. Every time.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cranberry Bark: Two Types of Chocolate and Two Types of Cranberry

7 Rachel January 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

Sometimes I think I’m the only person in the blogworld who doesn’t LOVE peanut butter!

My favorite food to dip apples in? Honey. It’s amazing!
Rachel recently posted..10 Questions

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 24, 2012 at 10:12 am

I also love mixing PB2 with greek yogurt! I add some stevia for sweetness! I’ve also done just cocoa powder with greek yogurt!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Half Marathon Training Plan

9 Shannon @ Mon Amour January 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

I can never stick to a training plan because of being in college and a lot of things come up. Instead I set weekly mileage goals and long run goals and just add in the other stuff whenever possible. I also know what types of runs I want to do but the freedom of choosing which day you do them is really nice.
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Tackling the Upcoming Semester

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’ve never ventured outside of the plain old peanut butter or almond butter. I think I may have to start experimenting… πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..On the hunt

11 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep January 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

Where do you buy PB2? I’ve only seen it online.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Holy Race Schedule, Batman!

12 Meghann January 24, 2012 at 11:37 am
13 Vikki January 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

I mix Greek yogurt with powdered ranch dressing. (Great for veggies and chicken, not fruit.)

Good luck on the plan. Anything is more fun with a goal.

14 Life's a Bowl January 24, 2012 at 10:44 am

The other night we were out of fro-yo so I opted to make my own concoction and it turned out surprisingly good! cottage cheese + cocoa powder + stevia + PB puffins + chocolate chips πŸ™‚ I was tempted to add some chunky PB but decided to save that for another day…

15 Jen @ Whittle My Middle January 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

Anything with PB in it makes a dip tastier. I’ve been adding peanut butter to my homemade hummus since I ran out of tahini. I’m not sure if it’s really hummus any more since it’s really just chickpeas and PB, but it is delicious.

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

cream cheese + honey+yogurt+vanilla and chia. MMMMMMM. Try it, it’s amazeballs.

or you know, dark chocolate.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Oscar is Awarded to The Unicorn.

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

Yummy looking breakfast! My favorite dip is greek yogurt, pumpkin, peanut flour, and a little maple syrup. It’s so good on its own too!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..I’m an Outdoor Runner

18 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

I am a peanut butter girl through and through when it comes to apple dipping!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Saucy in the Kitchen

19 Faith @ For the Health of It January 24, 2012 at 11:34 am

My grandma always made a sour cream + brown sugar dip for raw strawberries – I’ve remade it on occasion with Greek yogurt and it’s delish! Not exactly healthy with all the sugar but hey, the yogurt swap makes up for it πŸ˜‰
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Comment on My Inner Megatron by Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

mmmmm that dip sounds awesome!!

21 Emily January 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Okay, twist my arm, I’m going out and getting me some pumpkin butter now!
Emily recently posted..Post-Baby Fitness Bandwagon

22 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I like to mix plain greek yogurt, peanut butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract together as a dip for apples, bananas, or (if I’m feeling a bit naughty) chocolate graham crackers!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Why I blog

23 Corey @ Learning Patience January 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I stick to PB too…. Your dip sounds interesting though….
I have been sticking to my training plan for my 1st half and I am shocked that by week 5 I am already running much faster than before…I hate tempo/speed days but they are paying off bigtime.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.
xoxo from Calgary this week
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Calgary Blate and Red Leg Warmers

24 Jane January 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm

That dip sounds like something I could get behind. I love dipping my foods. Strange but true!
Jane recently posted..Monday Musings.

25 Emily January 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Dip looks great. And good work upping your protein intake with it! Definitely add the protein powder next time. Its really good used for stuff like this!
Emily recently posted..Lunch to Chill

26 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny January 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

That dip looks GOOD! Mmm … Pumpkin butter!
Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny recently posted..1000 in 2012 – 2 Weeks in Review

27 Doc (The Healthy Ph.D) January 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I am literally the opposite of you: when i have to drive somewhere, my workout is always better. I think I don’t give myself enough time to wake up for at home workouts.

Oh well, my job starts so early right now that I can only workout in the late afternoon/evening anyway.

28 sarah January 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I will have to try out that dip!
sarah recently posted..greeen detox