Florida in January

by Meghann on January 20, 2012

What a beautiful day!

The sun is shining, the temps are in the mid-50s, and everything is just bright and green outside. Man, I love Florida in January!

It was also perfect running weather for a killer tempo run this morning. I had 6 miles with a 3 mile tempo @ 7:55 on the agenda. I started out feeling great. My legs were moving and naturally fell into an 8:30 pace. Two miles in I started pushing a little harder and maintained (or semi-maintained) the 7:55 pace for the next 3 miles. It was hard, but not as hard as it has been. I’m slowly regaining my speed and I like it. πŸ™‚

I knocked out the 6 miles in 49:50. Boo-yah!

Breakfast was on my mind during my run and the thought of taking advantage of all the berries in my fridge by turning them into a parfait sounded like an excellent idea.

IMG_5901.jpg

The layers:

• Lemon Chobani
  • Kashi Cinnamon Go Lean Crisp
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
  • Walnut
  • Repeat X1.5

I was able to pack a lot in my parfait glass. So many pretty colors and so many delicious flavors and textures all mixed into one – Yum!

I need to make parfaits more often. So much more fun than a plain bowl of yogurt, berries, and cereal. πŸ˜‰

It’s Friday, Friday, Friday! Whoop! Whoop! πŸ™‚

1 Nancy January 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

I am so jealous of your weather!! Need a roommate? Hahah!
Nancy recently posted..Week 2 Recap – Miles of 2012

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’d kill for that weather right now! I woke up to 15 degrees and a dusting of snow outside πŸ™
Nice job on the run!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Let food be thy medicine…

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

Agree! Parfaits are super fun!

Have a wonderful Friday, Meghann!!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Fabulous Friday! (Reblog+)

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

Great job on the run! It’s awesome to see all you hard work with speed sessions and training paying off! The parfait looks great, I love walnuts too! Those and pecans are my favorite!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Whip it Good

5 Adrienne J January 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

I grew up in FL but recently moved to Richmond. I’m missing the 50 degree weather for my runs! Jealous for sure.
Adrienne J recently posted..the job hunt

6 Mallory @ Have your cake January 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

so jealous of your temps……i live in CT and its currently 18 degrees πŸ™
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..The Day I Ate 10 Pancakes for Lunch

7 Caroline January 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

it sounds like you’re having fantastic winter weather! We got snow yesterday with more on the way later today. Not ideal for running:( The parfait looks amazing!
Caroline recently posted..Thankful Thursday

8 Christina January 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

Your parfait looks delicious. Does the Chobani taste better than plain greek yogurt?? I just had my first experience with plain greek yogurt and it didn’t turn out too well…

9 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

I think plain yogurt in general is an acquired taste. Try mixing it with fresh fruit, jam or honey to sweeten it up a bit. I’m obsessed with all of the Chobani’s flavors, but I try to limit myself to only the occasional treat because of the additional sugar in the flavored ones πŸ™‚

10 Cait's Plate January 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’m so jealous! We got snow last night!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..White Blanket

11 Hannah January 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

It’s currently 3 degrees here in Milwaukee with an expected 6 inches of snow later on today! Sadly there’s no outdoors running in my near future haha.

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Awesome run!! And parfaits definitely look like they’d be more fun to eat!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..My Favorite Things…

13 Sneakers2Sandals January 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

Not gonna lie, that looks much better than a zucchini boat πŸ™‚

Also, LOVIN’ today’s weather. Long walk with the dog in store…
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..WompWomp.

14 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am jealous of Florida’s berry season. Totally jealous. I’ll just come down and take yours.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..How Young Is Too Young For Manual Labor?

15 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

There’s a strawberry farm right down the road. How about I take you there and we can steal their’s?

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

that’s probably better.

17 Jen @ Whittle My Middle January 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m so jealous that you can run outside right now. So much better than the treadmill.
The parfait looks fantastic! Definitely must try

18 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Just wait until it’s summer here and it’s too hot and humid for me to even attempt an outdoor run past 8:00am!

19 Jordan@almondjay January 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

That parfait looks yummy – plus everything tastes better when it’s in a pretty glass or fun container. Like drinking plain drinks with a straw – the straw totally makes the drink taste better πŸ˜‰

20 joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

I could def use some FL in January haha winter in D.C. is VERY different. πŸ˜‰
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Long distance relationships

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 20, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love parfaits too—soooo pretty!

Nice job on your run πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Pin Down The Motivation

22 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 20, 2012 at 11:21 am

It’s windy and snowy here in NH – so I’m super jealous of your January! Though it is supposed to be in the high 40’s next week, which will feel like a heat wave.

My parents escaped the snow by going to Vegas til tomorrow and Florida til next Wednesday – lucky ducks!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fiiiinally Friday… and a possible foot fracture?

23 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ahhh! I was in Vegas in December and thought it was so cold! But I guess there also wasn’t any snow. Florida should be much better – the forecast for the weekend looks amazing!

24 Laura January 20, 2012 at 11:34 am

Your parfait makes me think of the 4th of July. And summer. And warmth!
Laura recently posted..Should have said no

25 Casey @ OatsAndNanners January 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

When you normally do your tempo runs, do you start off slower – increase your speed for the middle miles – and then return to your start pace?? I always end on my speedy miles and I feel like I’m not giving my body enough time to recover
Casey @ OatsAndNanners recently posted..Sick

26 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I usually start out slower and pick up the speed for the middle miles and allow my last mile as a cool down. That’s the way I’ve always read/ been taught to do it. I would suggest giving it a shot, your body might appreciate the cool down mile at the end. πŸ™‚

27 Grace January 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Do you know of any programs to follow to slowly increase your running speed? I like doing intervals but injured myself in marathon training and have been doing 1/1 which is only a 13 pace. I want to slowly start picking up the speed…

28 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I sort of made my own plan up based on my past experience and Hal Higeons. I would suggest checking Hal Higeons out or the McMillan Method. There’s also a great book out there called ‘Run Less, Run Faster’ that I’ve heard good things about. I keep meaning to read it, but have yet to pick it up. It’s suppose to be a great plan for runners who are constantly re-injuring themselves from running too many miles a week. Good luck!

29 Grace January 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I’ll be sure to check them out!
Grace recently posted..My Journey to the Marathon Part 1: Training.

30 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Note to self: Find the husband a job in Florida.
I’m beyond done with freezing my ass off for the better part of the year! Parfaits are so much fun, I need to start making them again!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Admitting Defeat

31 Life's a Bowl January 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm

LOVE parfaits! IDK if it’s because they pack so many flavors or because my fiance had no idea how to say it the first time and so it’s become a joke whenever we have par-fats πŸ˜›
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..C Land

32 Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian January 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm

mid-50’s?! So jealous! Boston got snow today – looks like my 5 miles tomorrow will be on a treadmill instead of the pavement πŸ™
Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..My Favorite Things

33 Emily January 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm

So pretty…
Emily recently posted..Rest Day Guilt?

34 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Your parfait is sooooo pretty!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Trusting of Naive?

35 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex.com January 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Great job on the run! I’m stuck at a 10 min mile pace…more a mental thing than a physical! I usually go for the plain Greek yogurt, but he lemon, strawberry, blueberry combination here sounds DELISH!
Shaun @ snackasaurusrex.com recently posted..Power Cakes Recipe

36 Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy January 22, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’m heading to Miami at the end of next week for work – so glad I’ll get to be in some warmer weather in the middle of our Milan winter πŸ™‚ If you come to Miami from the 29th-4th, let me know!
Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy recently posted..Paula Deen & Diabetes leaves a bad taste in my pre-diabetes mouth