Zucchini Boats

by Meghann on January 19, 2012

Let’s file this one under ‘Random Meghann Meals.’ πŸ˜‰ Derek wasn’t a fan (he said the meat didn’t taste right in the zucchini?), but I thought they were pretty good!

Step 1: Have 2 zucchinis on hand.

Step 2: Cut the zucchini in half and carve out the center section to create the zucchini boat base.

Step 3: Bake the zucchini boat shells for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Step 4: While the zucchini boats are baking, start making the filling. I went with finely chopped carrots, onions, radishes, chicken sausage, walnuts, and spinach that I seasoned with salt and pepper, chili powder, and fresh garlic.

Step 5: Some people prefer the cheese on top, but I like to put it on the bottom. It’s cheesier that way! πŸ™‚ I had blue cheese on hand, so blue cheese was what I went with.

Step 6: Add the rest of the filling and bake for 15 minutes at 375

Serve!

I thought they came out pretty good, especially the addition of the walnuts (I’m sort of obsessed with walnuts lately). But I agree with Derek that something was off. I think the mix would have been better in a hollowed sweet potato or maybe with a different cheese? hmm….

I had a jalapeno cheese stick as a snack this afternoon. (There were a new find at the grocery store this weekend – we <3 spicy cheese!)

Berries, cherries, and chocolate covered edamame for dessert.

Confession.. I’ve never seen Footloose.

It’s playing on CMT right now.

Derek is sleeping on the couch.

Guess we’re watching Footloose.

Woo hoo! πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Army Amy* January 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

“You ever get busted for boppin’?” It’s a cute movie! I hope you like it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Couscous got your girl feeling loose

2 Julie @ There and Back Again January 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Footloose is a must-see modern classic! Love me some 80s-era Kevin Bacon – haha hope you enjoy πŸ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Like Mike

3 wymberley January 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

For shame!! You must watch Footloose. and The Breakfast Club, and Grease, and sixteen Candles, and Pretty In Pink. Mandatory.
wymberley recently posted..Crossfit: The New Epic Goal

4 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm

hmmmm, maybe the zucchini are undercooked? I’d user either higher temp (425F) for 20min, or a longer time (3o-40min) at 375F or even pre-broil the zucchini (maybe with the cheese, and only add the meat mixture for 10min?).

Blue cheese is quite strong for a dish like this (might be better for melting over mushrooms and steaks), but cheddar might be great.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Sunburst salad in the middle of winter

5 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 19, 2012 at 11:08 pm

those boats look delish!!!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It recently posted..The Day I Ate 10 Pancakes for Lunch

6 Grace January 20, 2012 at 12:18 am

I’ve never heard of chocolate covered edamame? Sounds yummy! And within a matter of months I’ve seen the new and the old Footloose and it really makes you want to dance around the living room!

7 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona January 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

Footloose is absolutely a must see! There’s nothing like an angsty Kevin Bacon dancing in an abandoned warehouse. Nothing!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Worst Run Ever

8 this fit chick January 20, 2012 at 4:29 am

I love these little boats! and so healthy too πŸ™‚
this fit chick recently posted..Exercise: How to do it Properly- Fat Loss Edition

9 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 20, 2012 at 6:35 am

Awww love Footloose! I make a zucchini boat recipe that involves ground turkey, onions and marinara sauce with Parmesan on top. I love it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..On the calendar

10 Sara@RunningInPinkProject January 20, 2012 at 6:48 am

Footloose is so much fun. (The remake was pretty cute too!)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..It’s Ok to Be Uncomfortable

11 Hillary January 20, 2012 at 7:15 am

I’ve never done zucchini boats with meat, but my best friend in college used to make them with a tomato/cheese filling that was to die for!
Hillary recently posted..Going The Distance

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 20, 2012 at 7:19 am

I love the idea of hollowing out zucchini & filling it! I definitely want to experiment with this!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Unplanned Rest

13 Kathy January 20, 2012 at 7:34 am

My family says I will try and eat almost any thing…I think this looks really good. But, if it needed some thing more maybe feta cheeses crumbles would have given it the kick it needed?

πŸ˜‰

I LOVED Footloose … the original….I never saw the new version.
Kathy recently posted..other years….

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

Those zucchini boats look great! And I don’t think I’ve ever seen Footloose either, I’ll have to check it out πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I Did Thursday ~ 01-19-2012

15 Emily January 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hope you loved footloose. It is one of my all-time favorites!
Emily recently posted..A Brick (and I’m drowning slowly)…

16 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

I have never seen the old Footloose, but I do want to see the new one! I love Julianne Hough, she’s an amazing dancer!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Whip it Good

17 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think the zucchini would be good with feta – then again, I put FERA on everything.
I’ve never seen the 80s Footloose, only the new version.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Frozen Yogurt and Sweat…But Not Together

18 Christy January 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

I make those zucchini boats with pizza toppings. It’s a fun twist on pizza!

19 Life's a Bowl January 20, 2012 at 9:29 am

The new or old version of Footloose?! A few girlfriends and I saw the newer version when it came out in theaters a couple of months ago and immediately after all we wanted to do was go to the bar, grab a drink, and dance the night away πŸ˜€

20 Cait's Plate January 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

Love the zucchini boats idea. I definitely want to try that sometime.

21 cristin January 20, 2012 at 11:16 am

i just saw zucchini boats on pinterest! delish!

22 Rachel January 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Chocolate covered edamame? Interesting! That sounds like one of those ” so bizarre, it’s amazing” kind of things.
Rachel recently posted..January Goals: Push-Ups

23 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

They’re from Trader Joe’s! I’m obsessed! πŸ™‚

24 Corey @ Learning Patience January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Wow…that’s funny. We both blogged about zucchini boats yesterday.
here’s my link.

I like the idea of putting the cheese in the bottom….but the cheese on top – kinda holds it all together.

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Seeing Results and Spicy Black Bean Edamame Burgers

25 Jena January 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’ve cooked zucchini boats before and we weren’t fans. The texture was just..blech. I forget what we put in them, maybe sausage? I don’t know, but that was the one & only time we made them.. I really love zucchini, but the boat didn’t work for us.
Jena recently posted..That’s your emergency, not mine.

26 BroccoliHut January 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

So much good stuff in this post: zucchini boats, spicy cheese, and chocolate covered edamame?! Yum, yum.
I watched Footloose on CMT last night too–Seth protested, but it’s my apartment, so I set the rules πŸ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..Edamame Barley Risotto