Carrots and Applesauce

by Meghann on January 18, 2012

Thank you for all the sweet comments on this morning’s post. πŸ™‚

I just wanted to clarify that I found a photo of the napkin with the phone number on it in the folder of photos I have on my computer. I’ve skimmed through the photos in that folder at least a dozen times over the past three years, but this was the first time I noticed the photo of the napkin. I semi-remember taking the photo because we spilled a drink on it and I didn’t want to lose the phone number. I’m not even sure if that napkin made it home with us, but the photo I captured definitely survived. πŸ™‚

Derek and I plan to call them when we really do set a date. I hope it still works!

Lunch today was fabulous thank to my freshly stocked fridge I had the pleasure of filling last night.

I purchased a loaf of Honey Oat Wheat Bread at Sunrise Bakery yesterday morning and couldn’t wait to make a sandwich with it today. I toasted one side of the bread under the broiler for a couple of minutes, then flipped them over and added some carved sliced chicken, arugula, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese to one side before returning it under the broiler. Once the cheese was melted, I mushed the two sides together and made a sandwich.

The flavors were perfect. The buffalo sauce gave just the right amount of spice without overpowering the entire sandwich. Delicious.

On the side I had a thing of applesauce and carrots.

When I first added the two items to my plate I thought ‘oh, no. they’re going to think I dipped the carrots in the applesauce.‘ I laughed about it and just made a mental note to clarify that I didn’t on the blog. Of course, then the idea stuck in my head and I couldn’t help but try it. You know what? Carrot sticks dipped in applesauce actually isn’t that bad.In fact, I ditched the spoon and just ate the rest of the applesauce via carrot sticks. Don’t knock it until you try it. πŸ˜‰

I am completely convinced that carrots can be dipped in anything. Ranch? Hummus? Peanut butter? Applesauce? check. check. check. check.

Had you ever accidentally discovered an oddly delicious combination? What was it?

1 Jordan@almondjay January 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Don’t forget carrots and salsa!

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I used to really dislike carrots as a kid, but since ‘growing up’ I like them a lot more! I have never tried carrots & applesauce, but carrots are good with hummus, I agree!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

3 Mallory @ Have your cake January 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm

at first i thought it would be gross, but i love dipping roasted veggies in ketchup now. im sure most would find it disgusting!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Forever 21 Shopping Trip

4 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Not gross! I do that all the time πŸ™‚

5 Marty January 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Sweet pickles dipped in hummus were my accidental discovery. I still get crap from my fiancΓ© about it. Whatever, it’s yummy!!!
Marty recently posted..Chick Pea (Garbanzo) Snickerdoodle Blondies

6 Lindsey January 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

When I was younger I used to eat fries with ice cream… haha.
Lindsey recently posted..Glee-ful

7 Michelle in Michigan January 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I was just going to post that one!!! Mine was McDonalds french fries and vanilla milk shake!!!

8 Emily January 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Its obviously french fries and a Wendy’s frosty! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..A Brick (and I’m drowning slowly)…

9 Kimberly January 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My college roommate LOVES carrots dipped in BBQ sauce. Not sure where she came up with that combo in the first place, but she ate it all the time in college. I think she thought the BBQ sauce was healthier than ranch or other creamy dressing.

10 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wendy’s French Fries dipped in Wendy’s Frosty. Yep, delicious.
Oh, and jelly + eggs.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..It’s What I Ate Wednesday!

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Buffalo sauce is so delicious. Your sandwich sounds right up my alley! My favorite odd combination is fried eggs on top of pretty much ANYTHING.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Hawkers

12 Carly January 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Pro tip I learned in college: Just because Dominos uses the same dough for the pizza and the super sugary cinnamon sticks does not mean dipping the pizza directly into the cinnamon stick icing is a good idea.

It will, however, cure you of the urge to eat Dominos, at least for a while.

13 Cait's Plate January 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I learned from your orange + peanut butter combo way back when never to knock your food combos until I try it! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Peanut Butter and Milk Chocolate M&M Cookies

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Back in the day, pre-healthy living, I used to dip fries in Wendy’s frosties. I don’t know why but it was so good!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Pb & J Yoatgurt

15 Heather January 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Tomato slices dipped in BBQ Sauce was my accidental discovery this summer.

16 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I just had applesauce with my breakfast this morning! I seriously think it’s the first time since I was about 12.. πŸ™‚ I am hooked now though, so good! I have to say though I had the unsweetened kind, and I can’t even imagine how sweet the regular kind with added sugar was! Wow how tastes change!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Inspiration on a Rainy Day

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

When I was little, my older brother and I always ate Cheez-Its and grapes together. I actually tried it again this summer (best to use one grape in between two cheez its) and it was delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Back to School!

18 Margaret January 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love eating those together!

19 Coco January 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I actually can’t stand the texture of apple sauce.. something about the way it looks and feels in my mouth, I know it’s a bit silly- but when I purchased some baby apple/berry sauce I actually discovered that i DO like that.. the texture is much different πŸ™‚

20 Heather January 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm

What kind of buffalo sauce do you use?

21 Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine January 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I discovered I LOVE this combo in high school, my husband thought I was nuts, but I told him to try it and now he is a convert πŸ™‚
Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine recently posted..Best of the Best N’ Some of the Rest Pt. 2…2011 Year in Review

22 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh my word, that sandwich looks perfect. Buffalo chicken is one of my favorite combinations.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..The Beginning of the End

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love both those things–so I should try that combo!

I think a panini/toasted sandwich tastes a million times better than just a normal one….no idea why!

Weird combo : egg, jam, cheese, spinach, bread. YUMM
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Need For Speed Treadmill Workout

24 Amanda January 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Ha! I never even thought that you would be dipping your carrots into the applesauce, but now that you mention it, I’m sure there are some out there who just might!
Amanda recently posted..DVR from the 80s

25 Dione January 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I can totally see that carrots and applesauce would be good together….both sweet…and carrots are often sweetened with a glaze when cooked. Now I kind of want to try it too:)

26 Jaci January 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Just had to tell you-I live in Des Moines and today it was announced were getting a trampoline fitness complex! I’ve been waiting for it to come ever since you posted b/c we reeeeeaaaly get everything last around here!

27 Meghann January 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Sweet! You’ll have to take a class and let me know how you like it! πŸ™‚

28 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I was going to say dipping french fries in a Wendy’s Frosty but I guess it’s not that weird since so many people said the same thing!

I just saw your morning post and laughed. That’s exactly how things started with my husband(of 10 years in May). We were “just friends” but he wanted more and eventually persuaded me.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..My 10 Favorite Yoga Poses For Runners

29 Mary January 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

That is so funny – I actually thought the applesauce looked like it would be good on the carrot sticks. Confirmed!

30 sarah January 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I really hope the number works i would love to hear what they say!
sarah recently posted..Happy Boy

31 Hannah January 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I really like to dip graham crackers in applesauce! It’s one of my favorite snacks. I get lots of weird looks from my coworkers when I eat it though haha. And I’m also really interested to see if that number works!! That would be such a complete ending to such a cute story πŸ™‚

32 Meghann January 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I don’t think graham crackers in applesauce is weird at all! I used to eat that combo all the time! πŸ™‚

33 Tara January 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm

French fries dipped in mayo. Absolutely, completely, and totally unhealthy but oh so yummy!
Tara recently posted..Whiny Wednesday

34 Meghann January 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I’m not a huge fan of mayo, but I have seen other people eat this combo. My best friend in high school used to eat her fries with a mix of mayo and ketchup.

35 Sara January 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

LOVE fries dipped in mayo. Learned that one when working at Burger Chef years ago.

36 Life's a Bowl January 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Oddly delic dip- tomato sauce [or salsa] + yellow mustard πŸ˜› Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

37 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler January 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I put salsa on almost everything. My favorite is probably on baked potatoes!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Winter Weather Running

38 Lindsay January 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I absolutely love garlic, and when I was younger I got dared to put garlic salt on my peanut butter toast…. Needless to say, I still eat it to this day- I think it’s great, but I know it sounds absolutely gross! πŸ™‚

39 Lisa @ early morning run January 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I can’t wait to show this comment trail to my husband to prove that I wasn’t crazy when I used to dip my fries in my frosty!! As I remember from years ago, it was delicious.
Lisa @ early morning run recently posted..What Happened to Prevention?

40 Christina January 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I’m a member of the fries dipped in frosty club!
Christina recently posted..Not What I Imagined…

41 Monica C. January 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

After all of the crazy things that you have eaten and blogged about, carrots and applesauce is not even a blip on the radar screen! πŸ™‚
Monica C. recently posted..Musings

42 kaily June 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I love dipping carrots in barbecue sauce and sweet corn salsa!!! Its really good and works with the carrots natural sweetness.