Black Eye Peas

by Meghann on January 18, 2012

On Christmas Day, Derek’s brother’s baby’s mama’s mama (say that 5 times fast!) sent me home with their ham bone. It. Was. Huge. I managed to break it in half and made a big batch of 15-bean soup the week following Christmas with one half and froze the rest for another batch of soup down the road.

This morning I pulled the other half of the bone out of the freezer for round two.

The ham froze and defrosted beautifully. I had a few nibbles of meat off of the bone and it tasted just as good as when I put the bone in the freezer. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I bought a package of black eye peas for New Years and, of course, they’ve sat in my pantry ever since. Who says black eye peas are only lucky during New Years? I’m sure that luck carries year around. πŸ˜‰

I followed the directions on the back of the bag and brought the dried beans + six cups of water to a boil, then turned the heat off and let them soak for 90 minutes.

Pre-soaked and ready to cook!

First the veggies (sweet potato, carrot, onion, and garlic) cooked in the pan.

Then the beans + ham bone + 2 cups of vegetable broth + 4 cups of water

Everything came to a boil for 20 minutes, then to a simmer for another 90 minutes.

I served the black eyed peas with a side of brussels sprouts.

It was missing some spice, but I thought the peas came out really well. πŸ™‚

For dessert I had a chocolate muffin crown.

An earlier snack of apple and honey peanut butter.

Yum.

Who watched Gossip Girl on Monday? Is it just me or are they just running out of excused to keep Blair and Chuck apart?!

However, Glee? Loved it! πŸ™‚

In other good news, my little brother is getting married exactly one month from today!!!! Man, time flies! πŸ™‚

1 Rachel January 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I loved Gossip Girl, for the Charlie plot line! I can’t wait to see what happens there! I admit the whole ‘Chuck Blair’ thing was a bit of a stretch.

Ah Glee. It is always so good!
Rachel recently posted..Motivation

2 jana @ newly wife healthy life January 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm

So exciting for your brother! I love weddings!! I watched the new Gossip Girl episode Monday, but was a little confused by the beginning. We were left with a huge cliff hanger in the last episode, but I felt like there was not much suspense in the new episode’s plot. I agree though, I think the producers need to decide if Blair and Chuck will or will not be together. They have quite the exhausting relationship for the viewers, it can only go one of two ways!! lol
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..A Fishy Situation

3 Lauren @ HealthyHungry January 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Mmm that looks good! I have an obsession with brussel sprouts!

I’ve never tried black eyed peas before, but I’m a huge fan of most other beans… gotta try them sometime!
Lauren @ HealthyHungry recently posted..New Plan + Weekend

4 Army Amy* January 18, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I love black eyed peas! This looks like a fun new way to cook ’em!*
Army Amy* recently posted..It’s a Virtue

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I used to watch Gossip Girl religiously but stopped after Season 5. They just put Chuck/Blair through way too much. And I get too attached to my ships. lol I loved Glee, though!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..The Beginning of the End

6 Maureen January 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Just watched Glee tonight…it was amazing! My favorite episode of the season for sure!
Maureen recently posted..An Open Letter to My Parents & A Recipe

7 Jane January 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’ve always wanted to make Black Eye Peas. Thanks for the inspiration!
Jane recently posted..Fancy Food Show.

8 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 18, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Loved Glee this week – it was one of those episodes that reminded me why I fell in love with the show in the first place!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..river bank run 25K registrant

9 Jessica January 19, 2012 at 1:26 am

I was wondering where all the spices were… then you mentioned it πŸ˜€

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 19, 2012 at 7:11 am

Glee takes an extra week on hulu to be available (it’s on hulu+ now…) but I can’t wait to watch! and I had black eyed peas on New Years Day, so good! I’m sure they’re still lucky! haha
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Workout Plan

11 Hillary January 19, 2012 at 7:12 am

This week’s Glee episode was probably the best one I’ve seen in recent memory—maybe even since the Britney episode? And the Michael Jackson tribute they’re doing in two weeks? To say I’m already excited would be an understatement.
Hillary recently posted..Going The Distance

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 19, 2012 at 8:03 am

I totally agree with you on Gossip Girl! I want Chuck and Blaire to be together already! I don’t like Louie! I have a feeling something will happen at their wedding.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Favorite Wedding Movies…

13 Reenie January 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

I cook my beans/peas in chicken broth…… the flavor is wonderful πŸ™‚

14 Kristin @ FoodFash January 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

Seriously on the Blair and Chuck… I haven’t watched it yet, but I can only imagine!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..It Really Is Perfect

15 Corey @ Learning Patience January 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

Ah…thanks for the GG reminder – cannot believe I forgot to watch it…
i don’t know why i can’t stop watching that show…for reals…

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Turkey Stuffed Zucchini and Working Out

16 sarah January 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

I remember when you blogged about them getting engaged! I cannot believe its almost wedding day!

17 Cait's Plate January 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

You must’ve REALLY been able to relate to this week’s Glee episode!! πŸ™‚

18 Kath January 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

YES – running out of excuses. This new religion thing really bothered me. Get over it Blair!
Kath recently posted..You Can Do That On Television

19 Emily January 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh my gosh! GREAT episode of Glee.
Emily recently posted..A Brick (and I’m drowning slowly)…