Pop Up

by Meghann on January 17, 2012

This month I’ve partnered with Orville Redenbacher’s for their Smart Snacking campaign.

Did you know…

• Just three cups of Orville Redenbacher’s popcorn provides an entire serving of whole grain
  • One serving of SmartPop! has two servings of whole grains
  • Orville Redenbacher’s popcorn provides three times more fiber per 1-ounce serving than other snack foods, such as pretzels or potato chips

True story.

So, yeah. Popcorn is full of whole grains, fiber, and yadda, yadda, ya BUT want to know what’s really cool? Pop Up Bowls!

I’ve seen the commercials for the new Pop Up Bowls and was super excited when Orville Redenbacher’s sent me a couple of boxes to test out. Probably more excited than I should have been. I’m sure Maddie really didn’t care when I opened the package and proudly showed her the cool new find.

I couldn’t wait to put the pop up bowl to the test. There were no special instructions, just place the bag in the microwave and press the popcorn button as usual.

Ding! Popcorn is done!

The Pop Up Bowl was so cool! Obviously I’m easily impressed. Don’t mind me and my stand up bowl.

I do have one teeny tiny complaint. The plastic top wasn’t easy to pull away. I had to take a pair of scissors to it to cut it, which wasn’t a big deal ( scissors were nearby), but not something I was expecting.

The pop up bowl of popcorn was the perfect snack to enjoy while I was working since it stood up so nice next to my computer on the desk. Also, bonus points for not needing to dirty a bowl. πŸ™‚

Are you easily amused too? Please tell me i’m not the only one!

Derek and I kept it light and easy for dinner tonight.

I picked up some pre-seasoned catfish fillets from Publix that cooked under the broiler for 5 minutes per side. The seasoning was in need of salt, but it formed a nice crust under the broiler.

On the side I sauteed zucchini and yellow squash with fresh dill and garlic (LOVE this combo!) and a steam-in-a-bag of brown rice (proof of how lazy I’ve become in the kitchen).

A small bowl of dark chocolate covered edamame with cherries and strawberries for dessert.

Maddie is waiting to snuggle.

Derek is too.

Good Night!

1 Dori January 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm

The fact that you made any of those food items for dinner — much less all of them — shows you are still far less lazy than I am in the kitchen. Have a great night!
Dori recently posted..Ellasport Review & Giveaway

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I guess I’m easily amused too, because that popcorn bag/bowl is SWEET! What a great idea! πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Tuesday Things

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I love popcorn! It’s hilarious when anyone makes it at work. As soon as the aroma hits the air everyone wants to know who made it and if they’re sharing haha! Popcorn is one of those foods that can make you hungry even when you’re not!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Inspiration on a Rainy Day

4 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

Yep! I remember that feeling well. Same thing happens at movie theaters.

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I tried that when I was at home, so cool! I actually didn’t have a problem getting the plastic off, I was confused at first, but if you do exactly what it says then it works pretty well!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Protein Party!

6 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:47 am

I tried pulling it off, but I just didn’t get it. Granted I gave up after 30 seconds and went right for the scissors. That just means I need to make another bag and try again. πŸ˜‰

7 Laura @mypurposefullife January 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Wow! I want popcorn in a bowl! On a completely different note, yesterday, Meghann, you wrote about the changes you made to lose weight and discussed how we have the power to change things in our lives that do not make us happy and can be detrimental to our health. Well, after 11 months in a very stressful job where I was NOT paid for OVER half of it (no, it was not an unpaid internship-I was a full time nanny/cleaning lady/tutor/child psychologist/personal chef), I QUIT TODAY. Yes, it was a long time coming, but something snapped in me when I read you talking about how we have the power to take charge or our own lives, and no one can do this for us. I don’t have a plan, a job, or any money, but I feel like a huge weight is lifted from my shoulders. Now I can finally start looking for something that is meaningful that I want to do! Thanks for inspiring me!
Laura @mypurposefullife recently posted..I Quit

8 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

Wow! Good for you Laura! I can’t imagine the mix of emotions going through your head right now, but it sounds like you made the best decision for you. Good luck and I can’t wait to follow where this new journey takes you. πŸ™‚

9 Laura @mypurposefullife January 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thank you so much, Meghann! That means a lot to me.
Laura @mypurposefullife recently posted..I Quit

10 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I love the idea of a pop up bowl! I love popcorn, but I never make it–probably because I am too lazy to wash a bowl haha. I need some of those!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..The Day After

11 Army Amy* January 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I was just thinking about how I wanted something new to snack on at work. Popcorn might just be it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Races I Won’t Be Running

12 CheezyK January 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Yes, very easily amused – in fact the sight of your pop up bowl excited me and I can guarantee you we’ll never be able to get our hands on them in Aus. In fact the sight of your pre-popped bag reminded me of the other thing that always amuses me about microwave popcorn, or at least the brand that I always used to use (we air pop now), and that is that the first instruction on the back of the bag (i.e. on the inside of the folds) is to remove the plastic … but you have to have already removed the plastic in order to unfold to bag to read the instructions … ! Um, yeah, you’re not the only one who is easily amused πŸ™‚ (excuse me while I sit here red faced wondering why exactly I decided to share that …)
CheezyK recently posted..I’d blame my phone but …

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

That is AWEsome. Guess I’m easily amused too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Protein Breakfast Patties

14 Courtney January 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I am the most easily-amused person in the world. You’re not alone πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Dorm Room Essentials

15 Carissa January 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

MEGHANN!!! I spent all night trying to fight my popcorn craving! It’s good for a snack and has good fiber…but…I’ve had it 3 nights in a row so I was trying to “break the cycle”…. must fight for 20 hours…oh popcorn…I love you!!!
Carissa recently posted..Thinking Tuesday – Paula Deen

16 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

It’s better than a big bowl of ice cream, right? πŸ˜‰

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Oh! That is really cool! Do you know if they come in other flavors (like kettle corn)? I’m not the biggest fan of butter popcorn, but if it’s kettle corn, I’m all in!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Early Bird Special

18 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

Looks like they only have butter at the moment http://www.orville.com/pop-up-bowl.jsp but I’m with you – I’ll take a bowl of kettle corn over butter popcorn any day of the week. πŸ˜‰

19 Jane January 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I have been obsessed with dill lately! So good on so many things. And no, I don’t think you are the only one that is easily amused! The bowl was pretty genius of them if you ask me!
Jane recently posted..Fancy Food Show.

20 Tara January 18, 2012 at 12:14 am

Mini-Me is forever telling me I’m easily amused. I’ve gotta try the pop up bowls!
Tara recently posted..Just keep swimming

21 theswanin.me January 18, 2012 at 12:42 am

Ok that is cool! I have seen the ads but since I have perfectly good popcorn here already I was not planning on buying any. I do appreciate you showing the pictures so now I have a sneak peep. πŸ™‚ I am easily amused as well.
theswanin.me recently posted..Shoes for a penny? YES PLEASE!

22 Dana January 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

Don’t worry, I am definitely easily amused as well. That pop up bowl is pretty cool! annnd now i want popcorn (hopefully it’s not odd that it’s only 7 am right now…)
Dana recently posted..Best part of my day today (January 17, 2012)…

23 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 18, 2012 at 7:50 am

I love popcorn! I really like the pop-up bowls of popcorn. I bought them as soon as I saw them on the shelf at the grocery store. It’s so much easier and like you said, you don’t dirty a bowl! It’s perfect for sharing πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Favorite Wedding Movies…

24 Emily January 18, 2012 at 8:06 am

Steam in a bag rice or not, I do not think that you are lazy in the kitchen AT ALL!
Emily recently posted..Rainy morning- blarg

25 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

There’s nothing like the smell of freshly popped popcorn! Your fish looks really delicious!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Hawkers

26 Ash Bear January 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

I can’t find the pop up bowls in New York but I love the idea! Hopefully I can find them soon or order some online. Do they come in all the flavors?

27 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

Right now they’re only out in the butter ones, but I think they’re releasing more soon. I’m holding out for kettle corn. πŸ™‚

28 Cait's Plate January 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hahah I remember the first time I tried one of those pop up bowls and I was JUST as amused. At least we’re easy to please??
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins

29 Laurin January 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

I had my first pop up bowl experience last weekend and I was just as enamored as you!
Laurin recently posted..My Pinterest Pretties…

30 Life's a Bowl January 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I’ve been eating popcorn as a daily snack for years [of course not every day, but verrry frequently :P]! Such a cool concept- but do the kernels get soggy?! When I put popped popcorn into a bag [to sneak it into a movie haha], it gets kinda soggy…

P.S. Boil-in-bag brown rice is one of my lazy night go-to’s!