more ยป" />

Take Five

by Meghann on January 16, 2012

The perk of staying at my sister’s place for the night?

Automatic running buddy in the morning. Score! ๐Ÿ™‚

We ran a quiet 5 miles around her neighborhood. The weather was ideal (in the mid-40s when we started) with a few clouds in the sky and a big beautiful sun begging to peek through. It’s going to be another gorgeous day.

Kelly and I are both training for the Flying Pig Marathon in May. Kelly started her official training plan a couple of weeks ago and I’m sort of working my marathon training in with my half marathon training. This is the first marathon we’ll run together where we won’t be able to do the majority of our long runs together. Which kind of blows.

Running a 15 miler or a 20 miler alone is fine – and something I recommend all marathoners do at least once in training because you never know how the race day is going to work out – but too many solo long runs can become a little boring. Without support, we knew we’d start dreading long runs instead of looking forward to them.

Kelly and I made a pact to do at least one or two long runs together (it just so happens that her bridal shower is planned for April 21st – the ideal weekend for a 20 miler ๐Ÿ˜‰ ), but she’s also looking into meeting up with a local running club on the weekends. I’m looking to do the same thing. I also have no shame in talking some of my local Tampa friends into running at least half the distance with me on some runs. I hope you’re ready ladies. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After our run, my sister got to work in the kitchen making waffles.

Not just any waffles – blueberry and almond waffles!

The Cracker Barrel Pancake Mix was a random gift exchange Christmas gift that she went home with on Christmas eve. The present came with the mix, syrup, a waffle iron, and a gift card to Cracker Barrel. Obviously it was an awesome gift that put all of our gifts to shame.

The mix was easy to make – just add water – and came out pretty good. I wouldn’t say the waffles up to par with Cracker Barrel’s waffles (or pancakes), but I’m pretty sure any pancakes/waffles always taste better when someone else is making them, right?

I had one hot off the waffle iron with pecan syrup, fresh blueberries, and almond slivers.

Blueberries are so good right now. So sweet and so fresh straight out of the container. Yay for the start of Florida’s berry season! ๐Ÿ™‚

What’s the best random gift you’ve taken home from a gift exchange? My favorites are always the gift cards, you can’t go wrong when winning a gift card. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

Because of my coaching schedule, I had to do a lot of marathon training long runs alone. I took the opportunity to write a manifesto in my head, I highly recommend this approach.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cranberry Bark: Two Types of Chocolate and Two Types of Cranberry

2 Lindsey January 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

A automatic wine bottle opener!
Lindsey recently posted..Weekend Review

3 Dana January 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

The best gift I ever received at a gift exchange had to be a prayer box!

4 Katie @ cooklaughmove January 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

My secret Santa at work got me a waffle iron, waffle mix and blueberry syrup, it was a great gift!
Katie @ cooklaughmove recently posted..New Years Eve 2011

5 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

I would agree with you that the best gifts at exchanges are usually gift cards! Once I got a great bottle of wine and four gorgeous wine glasses (the big bubbly ones!) so that definitely wasn’t too shabby either! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 1

6 Michelle January 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

For Kelly – I HIGHLY recommend Track Shack’s MarathonFest training group. WinterFest starts next weekend. I had such a good experience with them. I’m not officially training with them – but my group leader is keeping me the loop for long runs.
Michelle recently posted..Jam Packed Weekend

7 Meg at runridelove.com January 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

That’s a great gift for an exchange! Everyone loves waffles! We actually gave the bf’s brother and sister-in-law a fancy waffle maker for their wedding this year and they love it.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Sunday is Yumday: (Mostly) Homemade Spinach & Caramelized Onion Pizza

8 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’ve heard about the Flying Pig marathon and a lot of people want to do it.
What’s the appeal of it?

9 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 17, 2012 at 9:04 am

Is it the hills?

10 Meghann January 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

I just think it looks like a fun marathon. It’s suppose to be very spirited with a lot of crowd support – sometimes that’s all you need for a kick ass marathon. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

Oh that’s true for sure. I think that the energy from the crowd really gives you so much motivation.

12 Corey @ Learning Patience January 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Yum….I love waffles….. ๐Ÿ™‚
I think the most random thing I have ever recieved was a giant stuffed bear. Really? I was kinda like…are we 30 or 6…
Oh well. I donated it to the childrens hospital…they loved it!

xoxo from Trinidad

13 Vikki January 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

Are you still aiming for a personal best at the half marathon? I remember you talking about it.

14 Meghann January 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

I am! This past week has been a little crazy for training, but I plan to recommit myself this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Corrie @ Blurb Column January 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

The *funniest* gift I received at a gift exchange was my own slippers. My office was always freezing cold so I brought these bright yellow slippers with huge purple and red giant flowers on them to work to slip my feet into under my desk. Unbeknownst to me my co-worker “stole” them to wrap up and give to me at our office gift exchange. It was hilarious! I don’t know why.
I don’t think I’m enough of a runner to train by myself for longer than a few miles. I need the companionship and motivation to keep me going.
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..Why Southern Oregon Is Awesome

16 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I LOVE waffles!! those look so good. i might have to break out my waffle iron on my day off today!!!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It recently posted..Iโ€™m Getting Faster

17 Christine @ BookishlyB January 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Once I won a bottle of tequila, coincidentally it was the one I actually bought for the thing. Workin’ the system ๐Ÿ˜‰
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Twofer

18 Cait's Plate January 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m so jealous berries are getting to be in season there! We’re not even close here! Those waffles look absolutely delicious though ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Early Morning Brussels

19 Mary January 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I remember when I trained for Chicago in 2010 I did all of my long runs by myself and dreaded ALL of them! I’m doing most of my long runs with some of my friends in my running group (they’re all training for halves in the spring) and while we’re only up to 10 mi or so, I fear that once I start going over 13.1 they’ll back out on me.

Do you want to come to North Carolina for a couple weekends so that we can do some Flying pig training runs together? You and Kelly will have a place to stay! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

20 Sara January 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I ran Flying Pig last year as my first full marathon… all I can say is try to do some hill training! There is a consistent climb from about mile 4 to mile 8 that doesn’t really wear you out (at that moment) but will come back to getcha at the end. Here’s my recap if you want to read a bit about it – http://lifeinbeantownusa.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-flying-pig-marathon-race-recap.html.

I wish you the best with your training!
Sara recently posted..This one’s for the kidd-o’s… [Oreo Rice Krispy Treats]

21 Allison January 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Sounds like an awesome gift- even when the waffle mix is gone, she’s still got the waffle iron! The best gift I got at an exchange was a bottle of Bellini and two Lily Pulitzer plastic wine cups ๐Ÿ˜›
Allison recently posted..Giving is Good, Recieving is Flattering

22 Erin@Just Breathe January 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Flying Pig!!! Yay Cincy!!! Run LOTS of hills…. its a tough marathon
Erin@Just Breathe recently posted..Identity Crisis.

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm

What a great gift!

I once got a quesadilla maker—an awesome present! I love Mexican food healthified ๐Ÿ˜‰

24 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Ahhh I’m so jealous! I wanted to do the Flying Pig Marathon, but I have a 4 hour final on the day before at 1:15 in the afternoon. It would be a bit much to then drive 6 hours to Cincinnati and get up and run a marathon!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sad Tummy

25 wymberley January 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am so apprehensive about doing any runs with a friend. I almost never have a partner. Unless you count the dvd player…which I don’t. Running Tampa must be beautiful!
wymberley recently posted..I Was Feeling Down Till I Saw This…

26 Erica January 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I am thinking about doing a half… May be looking to you for advice! A good running partner totally rocks. Yummy breakfast! I got a few awesome platters at a gift exchange
Erica recently posted..The Main Squeeze

27 Emily January 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

yay flying pig!!!

(I will always cheer on every entry you write about this race. Since I am running it too!)
Emily recently posted..Dog Party!

28 Sneakers2Sandals January 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Let’s run! I hate running alone!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Sunday Smiles ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Olivia January 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm

That actually looks like the best christmas gift exchange ever. I want a waffle maker like that really badly!
Olivia recently posted..A Few Minutes Early

30 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

That waffle gift pack is great — what an awesome gift for an exchange!
This year I lucked out at our work Christmas party exchange and received a night at a very fancy hotel as my gift (it came from one of the bosses). Pretty sweet deal!

31 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Long runs with friends are a must for me! It makes it much more tolerable and goes by so fast. You are so lucky to have your sister for at least some of your runs!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Brrrrrrr!

32 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner January 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm

We do a themed gift exchange with my family every year. This year’s theme was summer. I got the very last gift, but it ended up being the best gift – 2nd row tickets to a Cardinals game this summer! So awesome!

33 sarah January 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I hardly have any running buddys ๐Ÿ™ you two are lucky to have each other even if its only once in a while ๐Ÿ™‚