Super Mom

by Meghann on January 16, 2012

Go Mom, Go!

IMAG1205.jpg IMAG1206.jpg IMAG1207.jpg IMAG1208.jpg

A couple of weeks ago my Mom called to let me know she had just downloaded New Rules of Lifting for Women to her iPad. She has enjoyed following my own progress with the program on the blog and wanted to try it out for herself. She read it cover to cover and was excited to get started – only the actual plan layout confused her. She’s not the only, I’ve received more than one email and tweet from confused readers who weren’t quite sure how to interpret the plan with how it’s presented in the book.

It’s complicated because the paper you print and fill out looks different than the one that displays the workout in the book. It took me a while to get it too. I attempt to explain it in my first NROLFW post, but I’m pretty sure I fail miserably too.

Anyways, when my Mom was telling me how confused she was, I just offered to take her to the gym to show her how it’s done. I’m a visual learner, my mom’s a visual learner, and she was going to the gym anyways. Perfect.

We each started with a 10 minute warm-up on the treadmill, then got to business. My Mom was a tad intimidated at first at having to go in the free weight section where all the boys hang out, but she held her own. In fact, she rocked it. She was had some choice words to say about the step-ups and the prone jacknives (I’m not a big fan of those either – ouch), but she’s already excited about trying 1B on her own on Wednesday. Yay! Go Mom!

Since I was there, I just did the sets of 1A with her. It was a fun flashback to the beginning stage and reminded me how much I hate step-ups too. You’re not alone Mom. Trust me.

Backing up…

I managed to snag one last free meal from my sister before I headed to my parents’ place in the afternoon.

She had some leftover pad thai that was just enough for one person, but was kind enough to bulk it up by adding some steamed broccoli and chickpeas to stretch it out to two. Thanks Sis!

I ran a couple of errands and had a mid-afternoon apple for a snack.

My Dad played the leftover card this evening as well, but he did it in the form of soup.

His inspiration came from the leftover rotisserie chicken he had picked up for lunch on Saturday. Half the chicken was still left and was begging to be turned into chicken soup. I helped him peel and chop that potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, zucchini, and bok choy that he then heated up in a big pot with the chicken and two cans of broth. Everything came t a boil, then back to a simmer where he thickened the soup up with a little corn starch mix.

Served with a shared roll (there was only one left).

The soup was perfect for the slightly cooler weather we’ve been enjoying. Nice and hot and hearty. 🙂

I stole a couple of pieces of chocolate from my parents’ leftover Christmas stash for dessert.

After dinner my brother and I met our friends Rachel and Eric at The Pub for a drink.

I had a black and tan, something I rarely order out, but really do enjoy. I used to get black and blues in college all the time. LOVED those too.

IMG_5704.jpg

I have a follow up appointment for the routine blood work I had done last month in the morning. I’m crossing my fingers for a clean bill of health. 🙂

Good Night!

1 Jen January 17, 2012 at 12:32 am

Regarding your previous post: how long did it take to start seeing changes? I gained a few with marathon training and am so discouraged that I’m not seeing results from more strength training and healthier eating (and cutting back the calories).

2 Meghann January 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

It’s hard to say because I know everyone is different with seeing changes. It took me a good month or two before I noticed any differences and three months until I started to fit in my pants again. I say just be patient and work on the little stuff. Good luck.

3 Pickynikki January 17, 2012 at 2:36 am

Good luck at the Doctor’s appointment tomorrow! I hope all is well…
Pickynikki recently posted..Day 16: Meatless Monday Quinoa Pasta

4 Hillary January 17, 2012 at 7:09 am

Ok, if your mom is doing NRLFW, then I really need to just bite the bullet and get on the bandwagon at this point!
Hillary recently posted..Going The Distance

5 Chelsea January 17, 2012 at 7:09 am

Way to go mom haha! I love parents that get inspired to get fit as well 🙂
Chelsea recently posted..Waking up at 5am and not being able to fall asleep

6 Tami January 17, 2012 at 7:28 am

Way to go for your mom!!!!

I love step ups, it would be interesting to see what people’s favorite weight lifting moves are…steps with a knee up and squats for me…shoulder presses too

7 Sneakers2Sandals January 17, 2012 at 7:29 am

Haha love those Mom pictures. Especially because my mom would NEVER let me post pics of her working out. She’s a good sport 🙂
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Wedding Wrap-Up

8 Hope January 17, 2012 at 7:53 am

Way to go for your mom! 🙂 Good luck at the doctor!
Hope recently posted..A Look At Some January Favorites…

9 Lindsay@FuelMyFamily January 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

That’s awesome your mom lifts weights! I have been trying to get my mom to start but I don’t want to be too pushy. She is thin so she thinks she doesn’t need it, but o try to tell her how important it is especially for an aging woman.
The leftovers look great, unlike most people I actually prefer leftovers!
Lindsay@FuelMyFamily recently posted..Am I Too “Old”?

10 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’m starting NRWL as well!! Yay for your mom!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Protein Party!

11 Kristin @ FoodFash January 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

I think you’ve motivated me to check out the NROLFW too! Good luck today 🙂
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..My Black & Bleu

12 Sarah January 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good for your mom for starting New Rules! So awesome.
Sarah recently posted..Meals and Miles

13 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 17, 2012 at 9:02 am

I really miss working out with my mom. She was a hard core gym rat.

14 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 17, 2012 at 9:09 am

This is great Meghann! I love how your healthy lifestyle and workouts make such an impact on your family. I am sure the strength training will help your mom feel extra beautiful and confident at yours and your siblings upcoming weddings! 🙂
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 2

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Good luck with your blood work!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Hazy Weather and Running with Colds

16 Emily January 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

Nice job to your mom (who added me as a facebook friend, by the way! :)) Its always intimidating (as you learned in the beginning) to get in the weight room with the boys at first. But I think eventually, when they see that you know what you are doing, they are silently impressed. 🙂
Emily recently posted..Rainy morning- blarg

17 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

Mmmmm black & tan is one of my faves! In fact, it was what I was drinking the night I met my husband – and it was his one of his “in’s” for a conversation starter – commenting on how rare it was to see a girl drinking such a fine choice!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Cabin Fever 5k Recap + Girls’ Night Out #1 of 2012!

18 Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I wish I could get my mom to do this kind of thing since her ankle prevents her from walking!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Completely Vegan….Soon? by Melissa

19 Rachel January 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It was good to see you and Ben last night. Thanks for giving us a ride back. 🙂

20 Alaina January 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I just got the book too and I am confused as all getout. I’ll have to put the worksheets side by side with the actual workouts and hope that makes sense! I’m such a visual learner too. 🙂
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons Training–Week 7 (And Dinner in the North End)

21 sarah January 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm

i LOVE that your mom is doing the program! SO great!! I also found it SO confusing it took me a half hour of staring at it to figure out how the plan actually worked!
sarah recently posted..Live Fit Day 16