Running Motivation

by Meghann on January 14, 2012

What motivates me to run so early on the weekends?

The heat!

I get up and get my butt out the door before the sun rises because I know once the sun does rise, that run is going to blow. The heat and humidity in Florida can be pretty bad year around and anything you can do to avoid being caught in it, the better.

However, every once in a while, we are blessed with cool mornings around these parts. Cool mornings that have you pressing the snooze button multiple times with the reasoning that there isn’t any rush – it’s going to be a cool day, all day, so your run can wait.

That’s the trap I fell into this morning.

I had 10 miles on deck. My alarm went off at 6:00am. Brrr…. What’s the rush? Snooze. This continued for 40 more minutes. Then I got up and took my time taking Maddie out, getting dressed, and playing on the computer. I had lost all of the motivation to get out and get running.

To be honest, it was kind of nice not having to rush out the door. It was actually refreshing. I could get used to this casual approach to getting out the door. 🙂

I had a rice cake with peanut butter and pumpkin butter and started my run around 7:30 with clear skies, cool temps, and (still) quiet streets.

The cool temps hovered around 40 degrees the whole run and felt great. There was a slight headwind that I felt like I was constantly fighting, but I’ll just claim that as an added training bonus to my run.

I gave myself 90 minutes and ended up finishing just a minute shy of that with a sub-9:00 pace. My legs have finally recovered from Wednesday’s lunge set. Whoop. Whoop.

Oh, and on another note, I had my ring resized a couple of days ago and this was my first run with it on. Fun fact: my fingers swell when I run. Did not know that before, but I definitely know now. That sucker isn’t coming off anytime soon. 😉

Run – Shower – Breakfast

Our fridge is empty. We did a very small grocery run when we returned from the Key on Tuesday because we knew we would be going out of town again at the end of the week (our friends are getting married in Orlando tonight!) and didn’t want to leave a fridge full of food.

I dug in the cupboard and came up with a classic bowl of oats (with only water since we’re out of milk) and a mish mosh of yummy toppings.

In the mix

• 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1 cup Water
  • Pinch of salt
  • Chia seeds
  • Flax
  • Cinnamon
  • Raisins

On top:

• 1/2 Apple
  • Graham cracker
  • Cacao nibs
  • Honey peanut butter
  • Cinnamon

Derek had toast with peanut butter and jam. Who says you need a full stocked fridge to have a great breakfast? 😉

Maddie is on pins and needles with excitement!

She get’s to spend the weekend with her Uncle Scooby at my parents’ house. I’m sure she can’t wait.

Time to head out! Jessica and Ryan are getting married today! Yay!!!!!

1 Amy January 14, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yep! My fingers swell when I run too. It’s crazy!
Amy recently posted..clutter and procrastination: baby edition

2 carissa January 14, 2012 at 11:26 am

Isn’t the cooler weather beautiful! I love not having to rush out the door as I’m a sleepy, lazy morning person!
carissa recently posted..Room Service

3 Hillary January 14, 2012 at 11:28 am

I had the same running motivation problem today. It’s nineteen degrees here in Maryland, and I knew the later I went out, the (slightly!) warmer it would be. Note: there is not a big difference between 19 and 21 degrees. Lesson learned!
Hillary recently posted..Pumped

4 Army Amy* January 14, 2012 at 11:42 am

I agree that sleeping in before a run is a nice treat when the weather cooperates! Have fun at the wedding!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Things My Hairdresser Taught Me

5 Krystina (Organically Me) January 14, 2012 at 11:48 am

Have fun at the wedding in Orlando! It’s going to be a nice, chilly day here. 🙂 Maybe it’ll give you some ideas for your own! 😉

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 14, 2012 at 11:48 am

I never thought of having a rice cake pre-run. I’m going to have to try that! Bread can be a bit heavy for me.

I also get stuck in the same trap when it gets colder out. I have a short run on my schedule today but have yet to change out of my pjs. It just feels so good to be lazy sometimes!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Date Night Recap {Hopleaf}

7 Kath January 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm

It’s so interesting how Florida and the rest of the world are so different! I LOVE running in the summer first thing in the morning, but I pretty much hate it all winter long
Kath recently posted..A Brown Breakfast

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I would always get up early in the summer to run, in order to avoid the heat. Now that it’s winter here, I either wait under afternoon to run outdoors in the cold OR I just go to the gym and hop on a treadmill. No more 6am runs for me!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whatcha Reading Weekend: The Hunger Games

9 Christine @ BookishlyB January 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

My motivation is all the junk I plan to eat this weekend 🙂 15 miles… later….
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Marathon Fueled by Books- Update

10 Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Definitely agree! Running in the heat and humidity makes it feel so much longer and daunting. It’s always nice to get your day started early with a morning run too!
Kelly @ Vegolosophy recently posted..The Hubby’s Post

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I guess the great thing about chicago winters is you can run anytime? 🙂

My fingers swell when I run too!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm

haha except when there’s ice everywhere!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Snow Day!

13 Sneakers2sandals January 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Have fun at your first wedding as fiancé and fiancé!!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Run fast for your Mother…

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Oh have SO much fun at the wedding! Nice job on the run!

I just re-launched a brand NEW release for BodyPUMP and it was awesome! I am on a fitness high too 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Overhead Press

15 Emily @LivingLongfellow January 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Way to be resourceful on that brekkie! I can’t imagine waking up in January to high temperatures and humidity.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Olympic Trials & Leisure

16 Jena January 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

It was pretty chilly this morning in St. Pete! The wind was killer!

I don’t run w/ my ring on – my fingers don’t swell & i’m always afraid it will slide off. It fits, but it slips around a little bit, so I usually leave it at home. (plus, i’m an idiot & don’t have insurance on it so if something happened to it, i’m screwed.)
Jena recently posted..Ragnar MIA–KW : tights butts & sweaty nutts on the move

17 jana @ newly wife healthy life January 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I sleep in my rings sometimes (even though my jeweler told me not to because it’s easy to scratch the diamond on the bed headboard or wall) and my fingers swell so much! Sometimes it is pretty painful, but I love my rings and hate taking them off!
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..Have it Your Way

18 jodie January 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I wish it was warm here. I am trying to get my running mojo back. Have a great weekend.
jodie recently posted..Short Intense Sweatfest

19 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! January 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Ha, my fingers do that with my ring as well! Though I’m now in a habit of taking my ring off when I work out–because I’m almost always lifting weights when I got to the gym and I don’t want the gold to get even more nicked up.
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..My New Gym—OrangeTheory Fitness

20 Mary January 15, 2012 at 12:35 am

I gave up trying to run with my rings on. Although it sounds unthinkable, you may want to consider taking it off when you run. Your finger will thank you for it!
Mary recently posted..Tundra Challenge Review

21 Irina G January 15, 2012 at 1:16 am

Yea, I find it really hard not to hit that snooze button… though for me it’s actually kind of a good thing since winter mornings in NYC can get pretty cold.

22 Marty January 15, 2012 at 7:13 am

Living in Miami I can relate to those cooler days. We’re so used to the heat that once the temps are below 50 it’s like I don’t function! I was proud of myself today, however…I got my butt out of bed and did my 10 miler…wind and all. Thank goodness for chapstick.
Marty recently posted..Hot & Healthy Quinoa Breakfast

23 Cait's Plate January 15, 2012 at 7:52 am

Haha oh no! I never would have even thought about that with running + an engagement ring. That’s a good thing to keep in mind!

Glad you had a good strong run and your legs felt good. For no food in the fridge I’d say you pulled together a pretty darn good breakfast!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Eddie’s Place

24 Allison January 15, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love coming up with random meals using whatever we’ve got in the fridge- it’s fun to create random combos that I most likely wouldn’t make!
Allison recently posted..Powerful Quotes

25 BroccoliHut January 15, 2012 at 9:23 am

Interesting factoid about fingers swelling during your run. I haven’t been wearing my ring during exercise, but now I want to try just to see if mine swell too!

26 Courtney January 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

I fell into the sleep trap today. I slept in until 8:30 (yikes!) and it was glorious to know that I was fine to run 12 miles, despite the late wake up. 🙂
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Ups: When Life is Good, Blogging Isn’t

27 Kate @Pastafreerunner January 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

I need to give up and move to Florida. This 9 degree weather in Boston is killing the running!! I wish it was a get up before its too warm vs. a don’t go running because it’s dangerously cold!
Kate @Pastafreerunner recently posted..Puppy news!

28 emily January 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm

My fingers swell also. I NEVER wear my rings when running or lifting. I actually asked other people what they did, and that helped me to make that decision. Like holding weights, I might do something to metal, etc, I mean, probably not, because its tough stuff, but I am still afraid of it.
emily recently posted..A Little Emotional?

29 Alaina January 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I definitely can’t run with my ring on. I don’t even sleep with it on because sometimes my fingers swell at night too.