Florida Frost

by Meghann on January 5, 2012

I’m not sure if it was the barre fitness class I took on Tuesday or the squats and lunges I did yesterday, but my quads and hamstrings were not happy with me this morning. Ouch. Maybe I was a tad too ambitious in the days leading up to the Ragnar Relay this weekend?

I warmed up with a few yoga hip openers to help loosen my legs up a bit, then hit the road for a 5 mile run around the neighborhood.

The worst part about running when it’s cold out is the whole getting out the door process. I stalled with my yoga moves, then downed a cup of hot water (the best way I know to warm up) before pulling on my running tights, jacket, and gloves.

Wait, actually, I take that back. The worst part isn’t getting out the door, it’s standing around in the cold waiting for the Garmin to get signal. And, of course, it takes the longest to find signal when I’m outside jumping up and down with my wrist in the air while quietly whispering obscenities under my breath as I try to keep myself from thinking about the cold air. Yeah. That’s the worst.

Once that was over with, the run was nice. A light frost had formed on all of the plants and grass last night that sort of sparkled in the sunlight. It was Florida’s version of running through a winter wonderland. It was also fun seeing how many of my neighbors covered their plants in the front yard with blankets and tarps. Is that just a Florida thing? I’ve mentioned the whole covering-your-plants-when-there’s-a-freeze-warning procedure to a non-native Floridian once before and they kind of giggled and said they had never heard such a thing existed. Maybe Floridians are just weird?

After my run I dined on a breakfast ft for a queen.

A two-egg sandwich with some turkey and pumpkin butter on an arnold’s thin.

And 1/2 an apple and strawberries.

Strawberry season is January – March in Florida and you can definitely tell that the season is upon us. These strawberries were super sweet and juicy. Woo hoo for local strawberries!

Derek took the day off of work today in anticipation of errand running and packing before we leave for Miami at 5:30 am tomorrow morning (!!) for the Ragnar Relay.

We’ve both never done an overnight relay race before and are super excited to kick the race off with We Ran With Your Mom Last Night (Best. Team. Name. Ever. πŸ˜‰ ) in less than 24 hours!

Have you ever done an overnight relay before? Any last minute tips on what to pack before we head down?!

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

For the Garmin signal acquisition, I turn mind on and let mine sit near a window – then I head out. It will have a much better idea of where it is if you do that first.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cranberry Bark: Two Types of Chocolate and Two Types of Cranberry

2 Meghann January 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’ve tried leaving it in the back porch before, but it’s so covered back there that it doesn’t work. I don’t have any other windows besides the sliding glass door πŸ™ I used to leave my Garmin in the stairwell at my old apartment, but then someone stole it and I haven’t left another one outside on it’s own since.

3 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

Stolen Garmin? Dislike. Mine actually sits on the floor next to my sliding glass door before I go out (that’s basically a window in my brain), but I might have better luck with that because I’m on the 12th floor. Hard to say.

Alternatively, you could just cuss in your head as you wait in the freezing cold. That would be my choice.

4 Meghann January 5, 2012 at 10:26 am

Major dislike on the stolen garmin http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/05/05/someone-stole-my-garmin/ and i prefer cursing in my head too.

5 Dori January 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’d say the barre class is responsible for the quad soreness and the squats did it for your hamstrings. Barre class leg workouts are notoriously quad heavy. You’ll be fine by this weekend! Good luck!
Dori recently posted..2011 DSB Year in Review

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

I remember hearing on the radio back when we lived in FL when you should cover plants…because they are just not used to that temperature πŸ™‚

Other places usually have native plants that can withstand the temperatures so it’s not necessary.

But yes, Floridians are weird!!!! I kinda miss the weirdness though!!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Change of Plans

7 SpaceySteph January 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yup we do it here in south Texas too. All those pretty tropical plants that are built to withstand those brutal summers do NOT like the cold.
SpaceySteph recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

8 laura January 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

ditto to this — applies to “seasonal” plants that aren’t cut out for super-cold temps. not just in florida — i covered my tomato plants in utah through the first few snows. πŸ™‚
laura recently posted..bagel time

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

Florida is beyond freezing right now. My mom and I were cursing last night as we walked back to our hotel room!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..just a couple of muggles

10 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete January 5, 2012 at 10:21 am

Whoa. I had no idea you guys were leaving so early. Guess my husband and I should communicate a little more. πŸ™‚
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Goals for 2012

11 Jen January 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

Major dislike on the stolen garmin. I don’t know if you’re comfortable with this, but I used to run outside and stick the garmin on my car (like right down where the windshield wipers sit) and then run back inside for a few minutes. My apartment door was really close to the parking lot, so I don’t know how inconvenient that would be for you or not, but it worked for me. And people are less likely to notice it in an obscure place on your car. At least, that’s my theory πŸ˜‰ I hate doing the “garmin find a signal soon” dance!

12 Lauren January 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

We cover our plants in so cal too, it’s the citrus especially that are sensitive to freezing. So I have my poor husband run out in freezing cold to tuck in the plants for the night ;). As for your your garmin, maybe do a quick warm up inside so the cold air feels refreshing while you wait? Wishful thinking? I envy your weather as it’s been in the upper 80s in Los Angeles the past few days
Lauren recently posted..Flying Solo

13 Lauren January 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

Oh you are going to love love Ragnar! I’ve done the one in my neck of the woods (Washington state) for three years in a row. You are going to want baby wipes for in between cleaning and a pair of comfy clothes and flip flops for when you aren’t running. Otherwise, lots of hydration, snacks and a super outgoing/positive attitude…oh and the expectation that you will get less than 1 hour of sleep! Can’t wait to hear about your experience!
Lauren recently posted..Now it’s 2012

14 Erin January 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

In Illinois you hear about covering your plants in the early/late spring if we have random cold snaps in April & May. So, no, it’s not just a Florida thing πŸ™‚

As for Ragnar, I did my first one this past June from Madison to Chicago. The one thing we learned is that you will want real food at some point. Clif bars and Gatorade will get really old after awhile. Make some plans to find all night diners or something where you can get real, solid food at some point if there isn’t enough for sale at the various exchange points.
Erin recently posted..2011’s Secret Goal

15 Erin January 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’m from Illinois and we don’t cover our plants. They like the snow. πŸ˜‰
My Garmin gets siganl from inside my house so I’m lucky.

16 Laura S January 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

I grew up in NY and we covered our plants up there. It really does save them if it’s a light frost so they don’t die and will live a little longer before the full winter comes!

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 5, 2012 at 11:22 am

I totally agree about the worst part being waiting for your garmin! I don’t get signal in my building (or very well on my street) so sometimes I have to wait a couple of minutes to connect to a satellite… brrrr

Good luck this weekend!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Breakfast Rice Pudding Flop

18 Amanda January 5, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’ve seen some plants covered around Boston, but it’s not too common. It gets so cold here, I think most people stick to plants that can withstand the intense winters. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Simple, Rustic Bread

19 Rachel January 5, 2012 at 11:26 am

You’re going to love Ragnar! I just did my first one this year, and it was a blast. Don’t worry too much about packing. I definitely brought too much stuff and it became more of a hassle to keep it all together in the van than anything else. I do recommend packing each of your running outfits in a large ziplock bag so that everything you need is together (and bonus, you can put your stinky clothes back in the bag when you’re finished). Have lots of fun!

20 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 5, 2012 at 11:30 am

Ugh, I swear the garmin knows when you’re freezing and waiting for it to acquire signal.. and takes twice as long because of it! Good luck at Ragnar!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Today is the day!

21 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals January 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

totally agree about waiting for the garmin to kick in…my dad tells me it’s a tampa thing. i don’t know how legit that is but maybe it’s true!
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..I Can’t WAIT!

22 Jamie January 5, 2012 at 11:59 am

People cover their plants in CO when there is an unexpected cold snap in the spring. We can’t plant a lot of things until May though but every once in a while, there is snow/frost that late in the year.

23 Rachel January 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

We cover in Texas! I didn’t realize other states didn’t do that!
Rachel recently posted..Mesley Half Mile

24 Amy January 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

The best tip I can offer for a relay is to buy some BIG zip lock bags and pack all your clothes for each leg in a bag… that includes socks, undies, sports bra, everything. Then, when you get done with a leg, you just reach in your bag and pull out a bag that has all your stuff together and you go ahead and put all that on (and store your stinky, sweaty clothes in that bag and zip it up and throw it back into your bag) and you’re ready to go. Saves TONS of time rooting around in your bag looking for a random pair of socks or whatever.

Also.. if you have the BIG passenger vans (15 passenger), I strongly suggest taking out the front row of seats. you’ll still have plenty of room for people, but you can use that open space to put food and the stuff you’re going to be needing all the time. And it just makes it easier in with people getting in and out of the van.

And don’t forget to pack a TOWEL!

Have fun and good luck!
Amy recently posted..Week 4 Review

25 jill January 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

We do an overnight relay in New Hampshire in September and it is a blast. Very little sleep but nothing is better than a 3 AM run! Have a great time!

26 Jana January 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Love your team name! πŸ™‚ I have never done an overnight relay, but I feel like it would send my body into shock! I pretty much only run in the morning or early afternoon and don’t think I have ever ran past 6 o’ clock at night! I am an early bird that’s for sure, although I have to say that when you ran Vegas at night it looked like a blast. A race like that would be worth running at night!

27 Emily January 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Agree, the Garmin finding a signal is the worst part. At least it was up to 35 (feels like 25) here instead of the 22 (feels like 10) of the other day. Running was MUCH easier today than Tuesday!

I am sure you’ll update us before that, but enjoy the Ragnar. I love that you can get Derek to do that with you!
Emily recently posted..Am I OLD?

28 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 5, 2012 at 1:05 pm

People sometimes do it here in CO during the summer when hail storms and stuff come along, so nothing crazy in FL! Good luck on your relay!! I also think the worst part of cold runs is waiting for my Garmin.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Save the Tomatoes + Zipfizz Review

29 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Oh FUN–you all are dong Ragnar!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..The Female Athlete Triad

30 Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life January 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am envious that any kind of fresh fruit is in season – winter is a big wasteland for us Chicagoans.
Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life recently posted..Balsamic Salmon RECIPE

31 Maren January 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

It doesn’t get too cold where I live but last week I was at my boyfriend’s parents home and it was freezing. I learned I HATE running in the cold. Luckily my Garmin found satellites from inside……. sorry about that one.
Maren recently posted..Without really knowing it.

32 Kris January 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Our team did the Texas Independence Relay a couple years ago. It was LOTS of fun, but exhausting!! Definitely pack some baby wipes to clean off after running. Also, bring lots of trash bags for empty wrappers, cans, bottles, etc… Any maybe a pillow and blanket in case you are able to get a nap in : ) Have fun!!!

33 Cat January 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Not weird to cover the plants. I grew up in a cold part of Washington state and we always covered the susceptible plants with hay every year. I’d think it’s even more important in Florida for plants that are not at all made to be in the cold!

34 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I hate waiting for my garmin in the cold! If I remember, I try to turn it on and set it on the window sill to let it find a signal
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..One Day in Charleston

35 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm

In New Hampshire, we cover our plants in the Fall when there is a freeze/frost warning. January? Nope, everything is already dead. πŸ™

I hear you on waiting for the Garmin signal. That is one of the least fun parts of a cold run.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Toddlers, Leopard Coats, and Inspirations

36 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

looking forward to hearing about the race!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Crispy duck and noodle salad & nesting

37 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest January 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I live in FL – we def cover plants …. my MIL is from North Carolina, they did it there too. I’m really hating this weather right now – I’m ready for our heat!!! I don’t care if it’s humid or not, I like to sweat when I work out.
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..Butterfinger Pie

38 Melissa @ TryingToHeal January 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Good luck with Ragnar!

and is there a window you can put your garmin near while you get ready to catch satellites? That’s what I do!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Comment on Side Notes: Dysmorphia by Maggie

39 Army Amy* January 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

An overnight relay? Sounds cool! I can’t wait to read the recap, you know, after you run it an all. Good luck!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Three Things Thursday

40 Katy @ A Shot of Life January 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

hahaha I can TOTALLY relate to jumping around in the cold waiting for Garmin. I should really apologize for the nasty names I call it waiting to find a signal. πŸ˜‰ I’d trade you for weather though- yesterday while I was jumping around waiting to run it was 28*….surely Florida can’t be that bad?
Katy @ A Shot of Life recently posted..Motivation via Pinterest, Round 2