Alterations and Burgers

by Meghann on January 4, 2012

We are exactly one month and fourteen days away from Ben and Ashley’s wedding!

(psstt.. if you’re new, check out the story of how my brother proposed. it’s a happy tear jerker πŸ™‚ )

You know what that means, right?

Bridesmaid dress alteration time!

IMG_4853.jpg

When I ordered my bridesmaid dress back in October, I measured in between two different sizes. The sales lady suggested going with the larger size since it’s easier to take a dress in rather than having to let it out, so I handed over my card and ordered the larger dress.

Big mistake. The dress that came in was huge when it arrived at the beginning of November and felt even bigger when I tried it on today. It was one of those don’t-lift-your-arms-or-you’ll-flash-your-friends-and-family sort of moments. It was a dress made for a very tall person with very large boobs (I am neither).

I knew alterations were definitely going to be needed and by the time the sweet old lady at the alteration shop down the street from me (which came highly recommended by one of Derek’s friends) was done pinning me up, the dress looked like a shiny blue pin cushion.

I think this look works for the dress, no?

I can understand why the price of alterations run as high as they do (I mean, you’re basically pulling an entire dress apart and putting it together again), but, man, the total they gave me at the end definitely made me catch my breath. When you’re paying about 60% of the original dress price to alter a dress you’ve already paid for, it makes you hurt a little bit inside. I did a little googling and found that final figure was a competitive amount, but still, ouch.

The good news is, on February 8th (my birthday!) I should have a dress that I can ‘Shout!’ in without worries. At least that’s the plan! πŸ™‚

Other good news: I spent the afternoon performing secret bridesmaid missions in preparation for Ashley’s bachelorette party at the end of the month! Penis crowns and blow-up dolls galore! Just kidding, Ashley! You know we’re classier than that. πŸ˜‰

My lunch today was a repeat of yesterday. Leftover Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup topped with avocado and plain Chobani and paired with a slice of toast.

Dear soup weather, Please do not leave. xoxo Meghann

A handful of almonds served their place as a snack this afternoon

And I pulled out our Christmas griddle (thanks again Tyler and Rachel – we really do LOVE it!) for dinner.

Derek and I decided on black bean burgers for dinner, but I’m sort of bored with the way I usually make them (basically beans, onion, and spices in a food processor). After a quick google search for a little inspiration, I came across this recipe for Beet and Bean Burgers that had an ingredient list consisting of items we already had on hand and looked just interesting enough to pull us out of our bean burger boredom.

I added a little too much rice, which meant the burger didn’t stick together like it should, but the flavor was all there. I loved the beets, I loved the spices, and I loved the change-up to my normal bean burger. I WILL be attempting (and tweaking!) this one again and again.

I served the bean burgers with a heaping serving of roasted cauliflower, parsnips, and sweet potato with bbq sauce.

Yum. πŸ™‚

Is a bowl really necessary when you’re down to the last serving of ice cream in the container?

Nope. Not at all. However, dark chocolate chips? Totally necessary. πŸ˜‰

Oh, and a spoon! Can’t forget the spoon! πŸ˜‰

Time for bed!

Good Night!

1 Madeline@FoodFitnessandFamily January 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Being a bridesmaid is never cheap. Somehow I always forget about alerations. Lol. For my cousins wedding though they took my dress in too much and I could barely breathe haha.

2 diana@mymarblerye January 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm

i went to the damn grocery store to stock up on pumpkin pie ice-cream and they took ’em all off the shelf!!!!!!! Okay, I’m way too worked up.
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..All Gone

3 Kate January 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I’m really looking forward to my friends getting married so I can throw them bachelorette parties and buy obscene decorations. I also really want an excuse to bake a cake shaped like a penis…
Kate recently posted..WIAW (When I Was Upping My Protein)

4 Cheryl January 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm

There’s a tub of almost-gone pumpkin ice cream in my freezer that I kind of forgot about til right now when I suddenly hear it calling my name!

I love beets. My favourite way to use them is on a salad (preferably with goat cheese)…but I always make a mess so I usually eat them when someone else will prep them for me! Laziness is delicious.
Cheryl recently posted..Curry in anything but a hurry

5 Sana January 4, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I can’t wait to see the dress on youu
Sana recently posted..Zebra Power

6 Danielle January 4, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I suggest not altering your dress in the bridal shop and take it to a small business/no name place. The bridal shop charges double than what it should cost!!

7 Meghann January 5, 2012 at 8:48 am

I didn’t alter it at the bridal shop, I went to a local alterations place near where I live.

8 Susie January 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

What a delicious day! Those burgers look yummy. Hope you love the dress when the alterations have been completed πŸ™‚
Susie recently posted..Breton stripes – honeymoon style

9 Christine @ BookishlyB January 5, 2012 at 12:57 am

That was my fro-yo fav this fall- pumpkin with chocolate chips on top! Until next October…. πŸ™
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Sir Mix-a-Lot Style

10 Dori January 5, 2012 at 5:55 am

You still made the right choice. It is pretty rare that a bridesmaid dress fits anyone perfectly as is, you probably would have need alterations anyway and it’s always safer to get the bigger size.
Dori recently posted..2011 DSB Year in Review

11 Erin January 5, 2012 at 6:32 am

I really like this recipe for black bean burgers, although I find that it sometimes needs extra binder (like bread crumbs) to help hold it together.

12 Hillary January 5, 2012 at 7:21 am

I was a bridesmaid in my best friend’s wedding back in October, and I had the exact same problem. They told me to order a dress that was about two sizes too big, and when I put it on, it wouldn’t even stay up—which, like you, meant that I essentially had to have an entirely new dress made. So frustrating—and expensive!
Hillary recently posted..A Good Start

13 Cait's Plate January 5, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’ve heard nightmare stories about how expensive being a bridesmaid can be! Luckily I’ve only been one and it was for my sister’s wedding and my parents paid for everything! I’m dreading the moment when all my friends start getting married!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Laughter is…

14 Jana January 5, 2012 at 8:25 am

I know exactly what you mean about alterations. My wedding dress cost $240 to alter and my bridesmaids’ alterations cost close to $80. Luckily, one of my bridesmaid’s mom was awesome and did all the girls’ hem’s and shoulder straps adjustment for free!
Jana recently posted..Puppy Love

15 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 5, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thankfully I had a seamstress friend who did my wedding dress alterations – changed the neckline and the bustle – $35! David’s Bridal was going to charge $250 for the same thing. WHAT?! Find a local seamstress you know/love, that’s my advice!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..It’s time to be a better me…

16 Jessica January 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

I LOVE to put chocolate chips in my ice cream, no matter the kind of ice cream!
Your burgers looks delicious!

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

I did not need too many alterations on my wedding dress-thank goodness. Those are SO expensive!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..The Female Athlete Triad

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m with you on that one.. I can’t stop shoveling soup into my mouth these days.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..How to Beat the Resolutioners

19 Jessica January 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm

If it makes you feel any better, one of my bridesmaids emailed me last night to tell me they were super distraught because their dress wouldn’t zip up about three inches in the back. She had tried on a small dress, then there was a middle size one they didn’t have in store, and a larger size dress. The small was too small, the large was too large, so the woman said to go with the middle size and low and behold, it fits her hips/butt perfectly, but not her chest. We’re scrambling to figure out what she can wear over the dress to hide the back now with only 9 days left. I feel so bad for her, it was not a cheap dress and now she’s going to be pretty uncomfy all day long πŸ™
Jessica recently posted..2011 Reflection

20 Maureen January 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm

In the world of weddings…ALWAYS go with the bigger dress! It’s amazing how someone can be so talented to take a huge tent and turn it into a form fitting piece of art.

Your dinner looks delicious!
Maureen recently posted..Liposuction Voucher To A 7-year Old??

21 Maureen January 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Your dinner looks delicious!
Maureen recently posted..Liposuction Voucher To A 7-year Old??

22 Emily January 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Ugh. It was the same way for my wedding dress. granted, my dress was not expensive at all, but the alterations were 85% of the cost. I had the same thing. The girl encouraged me to get the larger size, and then of course I worked out like crazy and ended up getting super lean and it pretty much was falling off. And it was a SUPER fitted dress.

Good luck!
Emily recently posted..Am I OLD?

23 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

That happened to me with my bridesmaid dress for my brother’s wedding. I had to order it a year in advance and then lost 18lbs that year…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..One Day in Charleston

24 Abby January 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

I totally feel ya with the cost of alterations. My wedding dress cost $500 (I know, it was on sale and I had a coupon lol), but my alterations cost another $500. Pretty ridiculous, but you get what you pay for. I think most people’s alterations don’t cost that much, but I’m really short and actually opted for a dress one size bigger than what I actually wear so it had a dropped waist instead of hitting at my actual waist. It was so worth it in the end!

25 larissa August 16, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Wonderful post as always! There are two things I think are essential to looking great on a shoestring budget: 1) learn what styles and colors really look good on you, and 2) get in the habit of cruising your local thrift stores whenever you’re in town and have a few bucks to spare. Alterations can be so costly but finding a tailor who has wonderful prices and an experienced hand is so worth the trouble of trial and error! THanks so much for sharing!