Going Under

by Meghann on January 3, 2012

My poor baby is going under today. πŸ™

Maddie had to be at the vet at 7:30 this morning for a teeth cleaning. Did you know they put dogs under anesthesia to have their teeth cleaned? Talk about a scary amount of paperwork that was needed for that! I wasn’t worried before, but after having to initial next to the box stating that I would like them to try and resuscitate her via CPR if anything goes wrong, I’m starting to freak out.

Luckily she’s the first to go in this morning, so I’ll know sooner rather than later that everything went smoothly. Until then I’ll be a worried fur-mommy mess.

I’m also having them do an exam on her while she’s there. The poor pup has been licking her feet raw lately and I’m afraid she’s allergic to something, I just don’t know what. :/

The early appointment meant I didn’t have much time for my run. I was really debating just skipping it and going straight to the vet (especially since the temps dropped overnight), but I made a last minute decision to try and squeeze a short one in anyways.

I pulled my running jacket out of the back of my closet, grabbed a pair of the $1.50 cheap-o gloves I stocked up on at Target after Christmas (50% off!), and thought happy warm thoughts as I took off around the block. The wind was the worst part, but I pushed through – runny, windburned nose and all.

I made it to 3 miles, then ran .1 miles past my house to round it out to an even 5k.

• Distance: 3.1 miles
  • Time: 25:04
  • Pace: 8:05

Not bad. I think I run faster when it’s colder out. πŸ™‚

Last night I prepped a little tupperware container with some Pumpkin Yogurt Schmear (pumpkin + pumpkin butter + peanut butter + greek yogurt + pumpkin spice) for a quick breakfast add-in this week. I made about a cup and a half of the yogurt schmear and used about a third of it for breakfast this morning.

First smeared on a whole wheat Arnold’s Thin (BOGO at Publix this week!) with some pumpkin spice granola.

And as a dipper for some apple slices that were also sprinkled with the last of the bag of pumpkin spice granola (from Trader Joe’s – I should have bought more than one bag of it when I was in LA in November πŸ™ )

Having the pumpkin yogurt schmear ready to go meant the breakfast was really quick to throw together and consume in the 15 minutes I had before I needed to get out the door.

I dropped Maddie off at the vet (so hard to leave that sad little face!) and headed straight to Felicitous (since I was already on that side of town) to get some work done.

I usually just drink tea in the morning and have the occasional iced coffee/ latte in the afternoon, but the large lattes were calling my name when I walked in the door.

Talk about energy boost! Now, that’s how to start the day! πŸ™‚

For everyone returning to work today – just remember it’s only a 4-day work week. Friday will be here before you know it!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 3, 2012 at 9:45 am

Your baby will do great! I’m about to head out the door for a run in this 22 degree Atlanta weather!! A large latte sounds like a great post-run treat!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Group Runs

2 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 3, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hope Maddie does good with her teeth cleaning! Love your coffee mug!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Breakfast, BodyPump, & Books

3 Dori January 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

Good job on the run! I run faster when it’s cold too, to try and warm up. But for the most part I avoid cold weather running. Maddie will be fine! I learned about the teeth cleaning/anesthesia a few months ago when my brother’s dog went in for hers. I was worried too but she was great! And VERY funny after when she was all out of it!
Dori recently posted..2011 DSB Year in Review

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

Aw poor Maddie! Dentist trips don’t upset me much but I know some people get really freaked out about them. Our dogs used to hate going to the vet.. until the end when they were given treats! Hope she gets some too! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Milan Recap: How I spent Christmas

5 Cristina January 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

My puppies get their teeth cleaned every few years. I really freak out with the wording on the paperwork too, but it has always been fine. And their teeth look so nice and clean when they come out. Happy thoughts for Maddie! You’ll get the call to pick her up before you know it πŸ™‚

6 Rachel R. January 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

I also freaked out when I took my dog to have his teeth cleaned for the first time – but he was totally fine! And the it’s so worth it – his breath was SOOOO much better when it was done!

7 Laura S January 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

I trained my dog to lay still so I can scrape her teeth myself with some human grade dental instruments my aunt gave me from the dentist office where she works! My dog has never had to go under to have her teeth cleaned and it has saved us lots of $$$! πŸ™‚

8 Maureen January 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

You’re like the Dog Whisperer! Even my dog, who is so calm and gentle, will not lay still for us to do this!
Maureen recently posted..Hello 2012!

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

Awww hope she does well!!

WAY to get in a fast 3 miler–rock on!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Not-So Obvious Benefits Of Being Fit

10 Cait's Plate January 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Awww – good luck Maddie!! Hopefully it’ll be quick and painless and she’ll be a happier (fresher-breathed!) pup afterward!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Just Breathe

11 Caitlin C. January 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

That cafe looks like my kind of place and that coffee looks so cute and delicious in the mug. Good luck to Maddie!! And nice pace on that 5K!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Today, We Visit Bouchon Bakery and the Europa Cafe

12 Angela January 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

I think I hate the vets more than my cats does. When he had to be put under I was almost in tears leaving him there. Dread to think what I’ll be like if I have kids!

13 joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

That latte looks delicious- I love extra foam!

Sorry about Maddie – she’ll be a-okay.

14 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

So crazy that they put them under for a teeth cleaning, but I guess it makes sense. I hate taking my dog to the vet because he gets so scared πŸ™

15 Jane January 3, 2012 at 10:43 am

Just saw that latte and I am jealous… it looks delicious!
(I’m sure your pup will be just fine πŸ™‚ )
Jane recently posted..2011 Goals Recap/2012 Goals

16 Ashley January 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

My little Yorkie has been licking her feet like crazy lately too! Interested to hear what they say.

17 Jordan January 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Don’t worry about your little pup too much – my dog chews her feet and apparently it has to do with yeast or something. They are’t hurting themselves when they chew on their paws and they normally stop after a little while. I certainly get more choked up and concerned about animals more often than humans hehe
Jordan recently posted..It’s Not Sunday?

18 Amanda January 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

I need to look into teeth cleaning for my 4 year old puggle. We’re pretty good about brushing her teeth, but she still has plaque/tartar that brushing doesn’t seem to help. I’m just so nervous about putting her under. I think the key is just finding a vet that you trust.

I’m sure Maddie will be fine. Hopefully they figure out what’s irritating her little paws too! Poor baby.
Amanda recently posted..Peanut Butter Parsley Dog Treats

19 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

I would be nervous too! I’m sure Maddie will be fine and happy to see you when she’s done!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..January Goals!

20 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets January 3, 2012 at 11:16 am

Aw- poor puppy- I feel ya- my new baby is going under for THE fixing sugery on Sunday and I am filling up with so much anxiety already- but hopefully by now you have heard from your vet already?
Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets recently posted..Strawberry Whatchmacallit

21 Courtney January 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

We had a dog that began chewing her feet raw and it turned out to be the cleaner we were using on our floors. Once we changed back to something less harsh/a steam mop, no more raw paws. Also, we have a puppy that had an issue with fleas, but only on the paws, between the toes. We got a flea treatmeant and it took care of the issue, but it definitely seemed strange!

22 Laurie January 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m sure Maddie will be fine. I had my doxie’s teeth cleaned last year and he did great! I don’t know how it is in your area, but up my way, vets will give discounts in February for teeth cleaning. That is what I did last year (probably again this year because his breath stinks!) because it is so expensive!!

23 Kate January 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I just want to throw something out there for you to consider. I know a lot of people get their dogs teeth cleaned and they put them under with anesthesia to do that but I bring my dog to a holistic vet and they don’t believe in putting a dog through anesthesia JUST to clean their teeth. Anesthesia is a major thing and she believes it’s unnecessary to do so. You should really only have to brush your dogs teeth once a week or so with a holistic toothpaste (no chemicals!) and their teeth will be just fine. Not judging, just figured I would throw it out there if you were interested in looking into it.

24 Jessica January 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm

My vet told me our dog needed to have his teeth cleaned and it kinda freaks me out a bit as well. I don’t really want to put him under for it… I intend to try to keep my little guy’s teeth clean with occasional brushing (by me) and those dentastix they sell (which, I really don’t know if those work.. but he loves them and they take quite a bit of chewing)
Jessica recently posted..New Work: Mayan Calendar Poster

25 candice January 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I always got nervous went I took my puppies in too.. she will be fine and have nice fresh breath!
candice recently posted..Preparing a healthy meal + A Challenge

26 Emily January 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thank you for the 4 day work week reminder. I needed that today!
Emily recently posted..Project Clean: A Day off from Work

27 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 3, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Maddie will be fine. Reading the fine print for the consent form always puts the worst case scenario in my head, too. My lab has never had any problems(except actually getting him to go into the vets office). πŸ™‚

When it’s cold out, I like to throw my running gear in the dryer for a few minutes pre-run. It helps take away the initial cold bite before you get warmed up.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Running with Celebrities and Friends

28 Laura January 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Feet licking can also be nervousness. My dogs do it more when they aren’t getting enough exercise. My parents’ dog does it just because he’s incredibly nervous by nature.
Laura recently posted..My Roadmap

29 Kristin @ FoodFash January 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Poor little pup! I hope she’s satisfied with her pearly whites when she wakes up!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Pretty Little Smoothies

30 Allison January 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hope Maddie’s procedure goes smoothly! We had to do that for our dog a few years ago… I’m always nervous when someone [or an animal] I know has to go under anesthesia- sending y’all my best wishes!

P.S. Pumpkin + yogurt/ cottage cheese + cinnamon/ pumpkin pie spice is one of my fave combos… Adding some PB into the mix sounds like a great idea!
Allison recently posted..Hasta la Vista Winter Break

31 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane January 3, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Wow that place looks so cozy!!! I wish we had something like that here in Jacksonville.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..GymPact and Me

32 Mary January 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

We brought our Husky, Tika to get her teeth cleaned earlier this year. They had to put her down too. Poor dog had the poops like no other the next day πŸ™ Not exactly something to be ecstatic about walking in the door at 8am after working a night shift. Our Lab, Corbin chews nylabones like crazy! he’s had no problems with his teeth or stinky breath yet! (he’s only 2 and tika is 4) but still, tika doesnt chew bones like corbin does.
Mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

33 Hilary January 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I hope everything’s okay with Maddie. I’m going to join you in the worried fur-mommy mess as I’m getting ready to take my cat in this afternoon. He’s been acting like he’s going to cough up a hairball but nothing is coming out. He also hasn’t been acting his crazy self lately. Good luck to you and Maddie!!!!!

34 Sheila January 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Best wishes to your baby!!
Sheila recently posted..What Is Elder Abuse?

35 Jessica January 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

If you feed Maddie food with beef or chicken, try a duck, fish or venison formula. Also try to avoid wheat and corn. Corn is used as a filler in many dogs foods. I have a labrador with food allergies. He will chew on his feet and get ear infections if I feed him anything with wheat. Duck, fish and venison are easier on their digestive systems than beef or chicken.
Jessica recently posted..Runner Comaraderie

36 Nicole January 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Maddie is such a cutie pie!
The coffee house is so warm and inviting. I would love to work from there!
Nicole recently posted..Check off those resolutions

37 Koko @ Koko Likes January 4, 2012 at 1:13 am

We just took our two pups in for teeth cleaning. There is a vet here in LA who does non-anesthetic cleaning, but of course both of ours had rotten teeth so they had to go under! Rotten, we felt HORRIBLE having them live with that, but didn’t know! When they came home we felt even worse since they were so dopey! But the moral- the teeth cleaning is a must even though it’s so hard!
Koko @ Koko Likes recently posted..Tangent Tuesday

38 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep January 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

That place looks so cozy!