Pizza Night = Easy Dinner Night

by Meghann on January 2, 2012

I made the big mistake of grocery shopping hungry this afternoon and brought home the easiest thing I could think of for a quick dinner – whole wheat pizza dough from the Publix bakery.

I stretched the dough to a pizza pan and topped it with pizza sauce, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, apple slices, and ham before putting it in the oven at 450 for 15 minutes.

Pizza perfection.

The apple slices gave the pizza a nice sweet and savory element and the Publix whole wheat crust was surprisingly thick and chewy. Usually their whole wheat crust isn’t as yeasty as their regular crust and falls flat, but this one was just right.

Something was missing. Oh, yes – veggies! I sauteed some zucchini and yellow squash on the side with garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Much better.

Stocking candy for dessert. πŸ™‚

I really enjoy these Real Fruit Bites from Dole, but they’re kind of light on their own. This afternoon I paired them with a handful of almonds for a little lasting power as I ran errands.

Two of my favorite shows return to ABC Family tonight: Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game! If you’re not watching, then you should be – the shows are addicting. Enough said.

The temps started to drop today and I went from wearing a tank top and running shorts this morning without an issue to snuggling up in footie pajamas with a blanket this evening. I love that. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I love snuggling up in my covers at night! Such a great feeling.

P.s. I LOVE pizza (esp homemade). YUMM. Apple is a good idea for topping–thanks!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Recaps and Resolutions

2 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane January 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

yum I think I may try buying some wheat dough from publix after seeing your pics. It looks really thick and chewy!
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..GymPact and Me

3 Sana January 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I think it got cold everywhere this evening, Brrr!
Sana recently posted..Dessert for One

4 Army Amy* January 2, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I’m so excited about PPL! I have to wait to watch it tomorrow bc I’m too much of a chicken to watch it at night. That shizz gets scary!*
Army Amy* recently posted..NYD Day Two Race Recap

5 Christine @ BookishlyB January 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

While some of your food creations may frighten my picky palate, I totally give you credit for taking risks with your meals. Apples on pizza with ham? Definitely inventive. I bet you’d rock the Top Chef Quickfire Challenges.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Book vs. Movie- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

6 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:10 am

Haha I love ham, apple, and brie sandwiches at restaurants, so I figured this was my version of that. I thought it was pretty good and Derek took the leftovers with him to work, so I know he approved. πŸ™‚

7 Cheryl January 3, 2012 at 12:33 am

Apple on pizza–GENIUS! Thanks for the inspiration. And for the TV ideas…I’m in need a new show to get sucked into. πŸ™‚
Cheryl recently posted..My first meatless Monday!

8 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

You can catch up on previous episodes on abcfamily.com too!

9 Dina January 3, 2012 at 6:16 am

It is getting so cold! I have become such a wimp about the weather since moving to Florida.

Yay for The Lying Game! Love that show and last nights episode was so good.
Dina recently posted..2012: The Year I Start Kicking Ass And Taking Names

10 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

It’s amazing how quickly you adapt to Florida weather and your definition for what is ‘cold’ varies, right?!

11 Laura January 3, 2012 at 6:43 am

I’ve never tried apple on pizza. That sounds outstanding!
Laura recently posted..Spiced Pork Chops with Butternut Squash

12 Sara@RunningInPinkProject January 3, 2012 at 7:05 am

So glad IM not the only one who watches Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game. LOVE those shows!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..So Hot, So Cold, So Cozy

13 Cait @ Beyond Bananas January 3, 2012 at 7:38 am

We had homemade pizza last night too! So quick and easy! one of these days I want to make my own whole wheat crust rather than just buying the dough!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Enjoying Time Off

14 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

I would prefer to make my own crust, but the only problem with that is you have to plan ahead to give the dough enough time to rise. That’s where I always fail.

15 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

You just gave me an idea for dinner tonight! Thanks! πŸ™‚

16 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals January 3, 2012 at 8:06 am

Loving that homemade pizza! Grocery shopping while hungry usually results in much worse things than pizza dough for me…we’re talking bags of different kinds of M&Ms πŸ™‚

Publix pizza dough is so good…I love the apple slices idea, I should try that sometime.
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Lazy Dazy

17 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

I did linger by the discounted Christmas candy for longer than I care to admit…

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 3, 2012 at 8:24 am

That pizza looks good! I don’t think I’ve ever had apples on a pizza before!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..January Goals!

19 Cait's Plate January 3, 2012 at 9:15 am

I always love your creative pizza toppings. They look so delicious every time. I’m currently also making my way through an entire snowman full of Christmas peanut butter and pretzel m&ms. Those dang things are so addicting!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Just Breathe

20 Aimee @ Happy Medium January 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

I didn’t know Publix makes fresh pizza dough! You might have just created a monster. πŸ™‚

21 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life January 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

Both Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game were SOOOOOOO good last night!!!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Happy 1st Birthday to The Vegetable Life!

22 Meghann January 3, 2012 at 10:14 am

I know! And now I can’t wait for Switched at Birth and the premier of Jane By Design tonight!

23 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life January 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

There is something about ABC Family shows that I don’t think I will even outgrow no matter how old I get πŸ™‚
….Even my hubby likes them!

24 Maureen January 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

I LOVE the idea of apples on a pizza! I know what I will be making for dinner sometime this week. Thanks for the idea!
Maureen recently posted..Hello 2012!

25 Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 3, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh man, I think we took your weather! It was 80 out here in SoCal yesterday! Crazy!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Happy 2012! by Amanda

26 carissa January 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

That pizza looks great!

do you watch Revenge??? I can’t wait for that to come back!
carissa recently posted..Hello 2012

27 Emily January 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Wow. You are so good adding veggies on the side of your pizza. I would have eaten the pizza and called myself done. I guess that is something to strive for?
Emily recently posted..Back to the Real World

28 Allison January 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I had a similar dinner last night- a pita pizza [with a dollop of hummus and topped with some veggies and meatballs] and yellow squash [that looked like lemon slices]! Now that I think of it, I’ve had pizza for dinner the past three nights- I guess that’s what my mind and belly are wanting πŸ˜›
Allison recently posted..Hasta la Vista Winter Break

29 Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey January 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm

OMG! I have to try that pizza combo ASAP!!!! thanks for sharing πŸ™‚
Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey recently posted..I wanna be MADE…

30 Alaina January 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

That pizza looks amazing! It’s like a New England-style Hawaiian. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons Training–Week 5 (And Restaurant Reviews)