more ยป" />

Good Luck Feast

by Meghann on January 1, 2012

Last night we sent 2011 off with a bang and today we brought 2012 in with a relaxing yawn.

Starting with an extra hour or two of sleep (woo hoo for parents who will let dogs out at 6:30am!) and a delicious breakfast of biscuits and gravy with eggs and fresh strawberries (woo hoo for a Dad who likes to cook!)

We spent the remainder of the morning in our pjs watching Moonshiners (In the span of 48 hrs I have officially seen every episode of the current season and am looking forward to the finale on Wednesday. Will Jesse catch them? Will Tim and Tickle go legit?!? Oh, the anticipation!) and taking the dogs out on an occasional walk. Sometimes, it just just feels good to be lazy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Every year my aunt invites friends and family over for a good luck feast on the first day of the new year.

I know it varies by region and/or country, but in the south (or at least where I grew it up) a good luck feast for the new year consists of black eyed peas, collard greens, and stuffed cabbage/peppers.

And just like with King Cakes and the hidden plastic baby inside, a medallion is hidden in one of the stuffed cabbages or peppers and the person who is lucky enough to find the medallion in their meal is promised the luckiest year of all.

There were no medallions hidden in today’s spread, but the memories of aunts and uncles fighting over who has the luckiest plate still lives on. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_4710.JPG IMG_4711.JPG

Just to give major props to my amazing family… my aunt made sure to prepare the black eyed peas and collards without any animal fat, so that my sister (the lone vegetarian of the group) could enjoy a plate of food too. She did that without anyone prompting or asking, how sweet is that?!

The food was ridiculously good. All southern classics that I really need to make more at home, especially the stuffed cabbage. Stuffed cabbage is where it’s at, yo.

Dessert is where it’s at too. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My aunt prepared the above feast all on her own, but when anyone called to RSVP and ask what they could bring, she requested a dessert dish. That’s how the dessert table ended up as full as the main food table. I was NOT complaining. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I tried a sliver of the chocolate pecan pie, a spoonful of my mom’s trifle (she makes it with chocolate brownie, chocolate pudding, and fresh whip cream), and a slice of my cousin’s peanut butter chocolate cake (tasted just like a peanut butter cookie in cake form).

My Mom had one wish today – to have a family photo taken before Josh headed back to Los Angeles. We’re still missing one (Adena was here in spirit!), but I think we got a pretty good shot.

The next time we’ll all be together will be for Ben and Ashley’s wedding next month. Woo hoo!!

Sadly, Derek and I dropped Josh off at the airport on our way back to Tampa. His whirlwind 36-hour trip home was short, but sweet and worth every sleepless minute. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wasn’t terribly hungry for dinner once we arrived back in Tampa, so I made a small snack plate of veggies, cheese, and hummus and called it a meal.

Quick. Easy. Done.

Now I have a dog to wash, a suitcase to unpack, and some photos to send out to be printed. It feels good to be home. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Night!

1 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! January 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I don’t know where I’ve been the last 25 years, but I never knew there were certain foods that brought luck if you ate them around the new year! I’ll have to try to create a lucky New Year’s meal to ring in 2013. Now I have 365 days to plan ๐Ÿ™‚
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Pandoraโ€™s New Workout Stations!

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

What a fun family dinner! And I love that your aunt was so thoughtful as to prepare those beans vegetarian for your sister.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..letting it go in 2012

3 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love the idea of a new years food feast! Looks delicious! Happy New Year!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Happy New Year

4 Biz January 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Happy New Year Meghann! ๐Ÿ˜€

5 Hillary @ GRAS Pizza January 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm

That is SO funny. I watched a bunch of episodes with my brother the other night! At first I was like… are you serious right now… but it’s strangely addicting, right?

That is such a cool tradition by the way!!

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Wow, that’s quite the spread you have going on there! I haven’t had it in ages, but I love stuffed cabbage! One of my high school friends used to make it all the time, which means I haven’t had this dish in nearly a decade…whoa.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Happy New Year!

7 Army Amy* January 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Ben is getting married next month? That seems so soon!

Three cheers for being lazy! Looks like a great day!*
Army Amy* recently posted..NYD Day One Race Recap

8 Liz January 2, 2012 at 12:01 am

Looks like a delicious, lucky 2012 meal (especially the stuffed cabbage rolls – I need to make those again, soon!). In my family (Ohio, German heritage), we’ve always eaten sauerkraut & pork for our New Year’s Day meal.

9 Sana January 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

I can’t believe your brother is getting married next month!!
Sana recently posted..First Day of the New Year

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 2, 2012 at 5:07 am

Great family picture!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Happy New Year!

11 Courtney January 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

How fun! And your mom’s trifle looks incredible! What is the recipe? ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Houston Trip!

12 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals January 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

You had some good food and nice parents yesterday! I love me some stuffed cabbage!
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Comment on Taper Rules by Jeff E.

13 Jana January 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

That’s such a great way to bring in the new year! It is amazing how many different new year’s good luck foods there is, and to think I only thought pork and sauerkraut was the option!
Jana recently posted..โ€ฆHappiness and Cheer!

14 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

I LOVE stuffed cabbage, but in the MW, where I’m from, it’s all pork and sauerkraut for New Years, and my hubs is Chinese so he thinks New Years and thinks duck.

I hate pork so I made duck.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..New Year, New You, New Crapload of Stupid Diets!

15 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest January 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

We do the blacked eyed peas as well (for good health all year) and greens (so you will have $$ all year)….we also have corn bread – just because. No cabbage though? Haven’t heard of that one.
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..Butterfinger Pie

16 Emily January 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

A month is not too far away at all! The wedding will be great!

My husband and Grandma Kate watched a lot of Moonshiners over the holidays as well. Now they have big plans to start their new moonshining business. Lol.
Emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Day 1

17 Laura January 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I love your blouse! ๐Ÿ™‚ Where did you get it?

18 Meghann January 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Old Navy! It was 50% off after Christmas.

19 Anna January 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Yum! Looks like a fun feast so should be a great 2012..I ate my black eyed peas out of a can last night ๐Ÿ™‚ I figure its better than nothing!
Anna recently posted..wordy 2012

20 Koko @ Koko Likes January 2, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE that blue polka dot top you are wearing! Where did you get it?
Koko @ Koko Likes recently posted..New Yearโ€™s Resolutions

21 Meghann January 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Old Navy!

22 Koko @ Koko Likes January 2, 2012 at 11:03 pm

1Amazing and YES I should have looked up two comments earlier!
Koko @ Koko Likes recently posted..Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)