Holy Shiitake

by Meghann on December 31, 2011

So long, Christmas decorations!

It was fun while it lasted, but – don’t worry – we’ll see each other again in 11 months. πŸ˜‰

Derek and I spent the second to last day of 2011 putting away Christmas decorations, sorting through Christmas gifts that hadn’t budged since Christmas day, and just overall cleaning. We wanted to start 2012 on a clean foot.

We stopped for lunch and heated up the last of the veggie lasagna and cornbread. We’re also kicking off 2012 with a clean fridge. πŸ™‚

You’ll never guess where we headed once the house was clean.

Anyone?!?

Orlando!!!

For the third weekend in a row we made the trip across the state to see my family. My twin bro took the red-eye to Orlando last night from Los Angeles (where he’s in his first year of residency) to spend the last day of 2011 on the east coast. He hasn’t been in Florida since September, so it’s a big deal to have him home. He couldn’t make it home for Christmas this year, but New Years is just as great in our books.

Of course, that meant he didn’t land until this morning. Instead of heading straight to my parents’ last night, Derek and I made a detour to my sister’s place in Orlando for the night.

We joined her and Anthony on their weekly outing to Mellow Mushroom for dinner.

IMG_3995.JPG IMG_3996.JPG

Gotta love their Friday night beer specials. $2.50 pints of Brooklyn Lager sounds good to me. πŸ™‚

IMG_3993.jpg

We split two pizzas.

A medium Holy Shitake Pie.

IMG_3998.JPG IMG_4000.JPG

And a small Red Potato Skin pie.

IMG_3999.JPG IMG_4001.JPG

I went back for another sliver of the Holy Shitake Pie. Loved all the mushrooms and the ranch-like dressing drizzle.

Kelly took us to Jeremiah’s for dessert.

Really, I think she just wanted to see me use the gift card she gave me for Christmas. My sister knows me well. πŸ™‚

I ordered a small pumpkin/ cafe latte ice. I loved the combo, but Derek wasn’t a fan. Good thing he got his own cookies and cream ice. πŸ˜‰

We were party animals last night. We made it back to Kelly and Anthony’s just after 9:00 and I was asleep on the couch by 9:30. Yep, party animals.

We did watch an episode of Moonshiners, which is a reality tv show of people who illegally make moonshine in the Virginia mountains. I’m not sure why the group of moonshiner makers was letting a tv camera crew follow them around as they shared their secrets of hiding their illegal moonshine distillery from the cops, but it did have me interested. I swear, there’s a reality show about everything!

Kelly and I were up early this morning for a 10 mile run. We each had a piece of toast with peanut butter and mango butter before hitting the road.

I love running with my sister. We did a 10 mile route that I’ve run with her before and spent the whole time chatting up a storm. We kept an easy pace and the 10 miles really flew by. I blame the good company and great running weather. Can it stay this nice year-round please?!?!

Kelly made us all waffle for breakfast.

One yummy waffle with vanilla yogurt, cinnamon apple, and a crumbled christmas cookie.

My brother landed a couple of hours ago!! I know I just saw him in November, but I really can’t wait to see him again. Ringing in 2012 with all of my siblings means this is going to the best New Years ever!

Happy last day of 2011!!! Enjoy every minute of it!

1 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger December 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Corey (the BF) and I had the same pizzas at a Mellow Mushroom on our way down to Savannah in November! They are SO delicious πŸ™‚

Happy New Year!!
Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger recently posted..A Year in Review

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 31, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I TOO love spending the NYE with the fam. ALL of my sibs are together today/tonight too (there are 10 kiddos) so this is going to be a PAR-Tay. With lots of little kiddos too (a bunch of ’em have kids). YAH!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Recaps and Resolutions

3 Emily December 31, 2011 at 12:38 pm

We had Mellow Mushroom for dinner last night too! It was part of our very last Christmas celebration!
Emily recently posted..2012 Resolutions and the LAST workout of the year!

4 Amy December 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love watching Moonshiners! Ha. A few thoughts on that show — 1. you’ll notice they never show them actually distilling the moonshine, so it could be argued that it’s “just a demonstration”. 2 my brother-in-law thinks the show (at least, the moonshiner parts) is staged πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..2011

5 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals December 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

We drove into Orlando last night also. Did you hit that big accident/see all those people driving to Disney?!

I’m cracking up from your post because a normal night with my friends in Orlando is Mellow Mush and Jeremiahs. Where do you run in Orlando?
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..β€œThey’re not hills…they’re minor inclines.”

6 Meghann January 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

A little late in responding to this comment, but we took 417 off of I4 so we missed all of the Disney traffic. 417 is my favorite road in Orlando because you can skip all the Disney traffic and there’s hardly anyone ever on the road. And we just ran around my sister’s neighborhood, when I used to live in Orlando my favorite spots to run were around Baldwin Park, Winter Park, College Park, and Downtown areas. πŸ™‚

7 Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey December 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm

OMG!!!!!! I want to eat that pizza soooooooo bad! I always order mushrooms and onions on my pizza and that thing looks just heavenly!!!!!! I will have to make a trip to Mellow Mushroom soon! Hope they’ll have it on my location’s menu too!

Have a happy new year!
Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey recently posted..Reviewing my Goals for 2011

8 Sarah December 31, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Mango butter? I’ve never heard of that before! I love mangos so I will have to find that somewhere! Way to end the year with an awesome run!
Sarah recently posted..The Goals Post

9 Meghann January 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

It’s Trader Joe’s!

10 Army Amy* December 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Time with siblings is the best! It’s nice that your brother can come for New Years!*
Army Amy* recently posted..2011: Looking Back

11 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups December 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love Mellow Mushroom! Their crust is so good. Have a fun new year with your siblings!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Looking back and ahead

12 wymberley December 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Mango butter! Tutorial please? Or did you buy it somewhere?
wymberley recently posted..Bread! Rosemary Bread! A Lesson Worth Learning

13 Meghann January 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

It’s Trader Joes. My brother sent it as part of mine and my sister’ Trader Joe’s Christmas care package πŸ™‚

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 31, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I FINALLY got to eat at mellow for the first time in about 3 years today! I’m visiting a friend in NC and we went to the one in Ashville!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Travel Time!

15 Leslie December 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You mention that your brother your brother couldn’t make it home for Christmas last year. Looking back at your Christmas 2010 post he appears in the family pictures. Did you mean to say he was not home this year? Glad you are all together now.