What I’m Reading

by Meghann on December 29, 2011

I’m not sure I gave enough props to last night’s dinner.

The reheated leftovers for lunch today had me licking my lips and wishing I had more. There’s just something yummy about roasted vegetables with pasta sauce and cheese just works. 🙂

I’m slowly working my way through the leftover cornbread one giant chunk at a time. I

What Alice Forgot

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about the new movie The Vow. The idea of losing 5 years of memories while waking up and believing it’s still 2006 was a hard one to take and really stuck with me.

In the comments of that post a reader informed me she was reading a book with a similar premise called ‘What Alice Forgot’ where the main character bumps her head and loses ten years of memories. She wakes up believing she’s 29 (she’s 39), she’s pregnant with her first child (who is now 9 years old), and is still madly in love with her husband (they’re actually going through a bitter divorce.)

201107-omag-books-what-alice-284xfall.jpg

When I read the synopsis for the book, I immediately downloaded it to my ipad (my first book purchase on my ipad, not sure why I waited so long!) and couldn’t put it down. It was a fun light hearted story about how quickly life can change and not forgetting who you are along the journey. If you’re looking for a fun story to read, I highly suggest picking it up (or downloading it!).

Now that I’ve finished What Alice Forgot, I just downloaded We Bought a Zoo for my next read and have American Wife reserved on standby.

What are you reading? Any new discoveries?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I jumped on the late late bus and started reading the Hunger Games trilogy!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Make a STATEment!

2 Maureen December 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I’m about to start it!
Maureen recently posted..Kahlua Cake

3 Maddie December 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I was just given Rules of Civility for Christmas. I’d never heard of it before, but it was fantastic! Set in NYC in the late 1930’s, it’s a coming of age/finding your place in the world story that really grabbed me. I read it all in one day! 🙂
Maddie recently posted..Playing Catch-Up

4 Maureen December 29, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Just looked it up on Amazon and it looks very interesting!
Maureen recently posted..Kahlua Cake

5 Hillary December 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

With the exception of Harry Potter, I’ve never been into fantasy. Then I watched the first season of Game of Thrones on HBO and started reading the books. I’m halfway through the third one, and I am completely consumed by them. SO GOOD.
Hillary recently posted..Keeping It Personal (And Professional)

6 Cait's Plate December 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’m reading Cutting for Stone (and have been for what feels like forever!) and LOVING it! Highly recommend it!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..There’s Just Nothing Like…

7 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama December 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

What Alice Forgot sounds good. One of my NYR is to read a book every month so I think that will be January’s book.

The American Wife is really, really good! I read it in 2 days. It made me look at Laura Bush in a different way.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The ‘No Boredeom’ Treadmill Workout

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I just finished Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Macguire, the author of wicked, and the book was just okay. I’m about to start The Kitchen House which I heard is supposed to be fantastic so I’m excited about that 🙂
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

9 Laura December 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

At home I’m working on “Mother Tongue” by Bill Bryson. Its about the evolution of the english language. I love Bill Bryson, I aspire to write like him – witty and smart. I just need to get smart… oh, and funny.

On my kindle (aka my commuter buddy) I’m reading Little Women. I downloaded tons of the free older classic books, so I’m working my way through them.
Laura recently posted..2012 Goals

10 melissa December 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Sounds very good. You’ve got me intrigued too now and I might just have to download it. I’m hoping Alice and her husband stay together. I’m a sucker for happy endings.
melissa recently posted..What GOD wants for Christmas parts 3, 4, and 5

11 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m fully immersed in the Hunger Games series right now. I hope the movie isn’t disappointing.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..2011 Recap

12 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

Agree!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..I <3 NYC: Day TWO

13 Maggie December 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love this series too. I teach the first one to 10th graders who are struggling readers, and for some of them, it is the first book they have ever enjoyed 🙂

14 Steph @ StephSnacks December 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m currently reading ‘All We Ever Wanted Was Everything’ and really enjoying it. But I’m almost done and ‘What Alice Forgot’ may be my next read!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW – Boring Style

15 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

I read “All We Ever Wanted was Everything” too – forgot that I read that this year! Really liked it 🙂
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..I <3 NYC: Day TWO

16 Lindsey December 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

That sounds like a great book, might need to make a library trip for it. I got sucked into the Gossip Girl books, they are easy reads and I couldn’t get into any other books at the time.
Lindsey recently posted..Mid-Day Break

17 Liz @ An Interesting Year December 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’m in the middle of Jane Eyre (free classic e-reader books = awesome), but next on my list is “Luminous Airplanes” by Paul LaFarge. It’s supposed to be great!
Liz @ An Interesting Year recently posted..Runs and Puns

18 Army Amy* December 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm

That book sounds very interesting! I’m intrigued by stories dealing with memory. (Three cheers for The Giver!) The last book that I really loved was Into Thin Air. It’s not for everyone (nonfiction, gruesome at times, emotionally charged), but I could not get enough of it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Inaugural Blend

19 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

That book sounds interesting! There’s a book that comes out in January that I want to read. Its called 150 Pounds and it’s about two bloggers, one who weighs 100 pounds more than the other, who meet each other at the Oprah show. It looks like a fun & easy read, and it’s about food/fitness bloggers, which is neat!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Waffle Fiasco

20 Meghann December 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Just Googled it! I love that it’s a fiction book about Bloggers! I’m preordering it. Thanks for the heads up!

21 Matteson@ Healthy High Schooler December 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I very highly reccomend American Wife! I absolutely LOVED it!
Matteson@ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Winter Weather Running

22 Diana December 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm

American Wife is so good! I love reading. I love how you’re talking about books…

I’m finishing up the series Girl With a Dragon Tattoo…I’m on the last book. I can’t wait to go see the movie.
Diana recently posted..Let’s Dance – My Running Playlist

23 nicole@winewalking.blogspot.com/ December 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I just finished that for my book club. I liked it but the contrast between young love and the divorce kinda freaked me out. It was good though! Girls in White Dresses was a great girly read if you are looking for something similar

24 Meghann December 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I read Girls in White Dresses and wasn’t a fan how the story jumped around. Also the ending waseft too open, I hate it when books so that! 🙂

25 Megan December 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

That book sounds amazing! I have not read a book in forever, but I love to read! Hoping to make more time for reading in the New Year!

26 Sarah December 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I have this book on my Nook wishlist! I get People and Entertainment weekly, so every week I update my wishlist with books that got great/intriguing reviews, so I never am out of things to read. I’m in between books right now, I finished How to Love an American Man a few weeks ago, and am in the middle of Decision Points and Pillars of the Earth (I keep going back and forth between them), looking forward to lots of reading over the long weekend hopefully!
Sarah recently posted..Book Review #14

27 Colleen December 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I just finished American Wife! It was excellent and I read it in about two days – its so nice to have some time off work to read and relax!

28 Courtney December 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’ve done so poorly with reading lately. Due to my enrollment in a non-credit course at the community college and the holidays sneaking up on me, reading took a backseat; I’m a little embarrassed about it because I have a Bachelors in English-Literature and truly do enjoy reading. I plan on tackling The Hunger Games trilogy, though; I’ve heard nothing but wonderful reviews about it!
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Better Late Than Never?

29 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals December 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hunger Games is so good and so addicting! Don’t start unless you want to commit a lot of time to it. I’m in school (but for credit) too and I would read the books instead of study…whups.
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Let’s Dance – My Running Playlist

30 Heather December 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love to read, must check this out, looks great!
Heather recently posted..My 2011 Year In Review

31 Erin December 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I really liked Before I Go to Sleep. It is a thriller about a woman who lost her memory from the last twenty years. Aside from that, when she is reminded she only remembers until she goes to sleep that night. She starts keeping a journal, and there are a lot of interesting twists.

32 jodie December 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I really want to see the Vow. That book sounds good. I am currently reading the Happiness Project.
jodie recently posted..Ab Shapers

33 Sarah December 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm

That book sounds really interesting. I’ll have to put it on my reading list. Right now I’m reading Atlas of Love which is really good and after I finish it I plan on finishing the happiness project (I’m half way through already).
Sarah recently posted..Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

34 Christine @ BookishlyB December 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm

American Wife is good- so is Prep, who is by the same author. But skip Man of My Dreams.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Unabashedly Proud

35 Meghann December 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I loved Prep! I didn’t realize they were by the same author, now I’m really excited. 🙂

36 megan@ long distance relationship December 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I just finished the Handmaid’s Tale which I heard about from another blog, I believe it was Healthy Tipping Point. Now I’m eager to add these reads to my selection as well! I love that a lot of the healthy living/food bloggers also seem to be into great books as well, I have been getting a lot of great book ideas from blogs lately!

My current read in The Boy in the Suitcase- just started it but already sucked in.
megan@ long distance relationship recently posted.."vegan" update

37 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I just finished Born to Run (HIGHLY recommend it!) and now I’m reading Violets of March, which is, so far, very intriguing!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sparkle Sparkle.

38 Angela December 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I’m so behind on reading that everything I wanted to read has been made into a film this year!

39 Jess @JessCantCook December 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I took a major reading break this year, not by choice I was just busy, so I’m finally reading The Help and definitely planning to read more in 2012. This book sounds so interesting, I’m adding it to the list!
Jess @JessCantCook recently posted..My Mom’s Christmas Breakfast Casserole

40 Rachel December 29, 2011 at 9:15 pm

“Room” by Emma Donoghue. It is AMAZING. I literally read it all in one day!
Rachel recently posted..Where I’ve Been…

41 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm

That does sound like a good read!!

I liked “American Wife” and I totally want to see “The Vow” too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Mexican Tacos + Thankful Thursday

42 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

My list of books to read has somehow started growing like crazy! I’m still working my way through the Harry Potter series (this is my first time reading them!) and I’ve added Hunger Games and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to my list. I also have a few other random books on it but I can’t read as quickly as the books are being added!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Vegetarian Chili

43 Cheryl December 29, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I’m re-reading Michael Pollan’s “Food Rules” — http://michaelpollan.com/books/food-rules/ . It really shakes up how I think about “healthy”…sure that spaghetti squash, chicken meatball combo I made for dinner tonight is “healthy” but is it good for me, good for the planet, etc.?

I’m also LOVING “Only Pack What You Can Carry: My Path to Inner Strength, Confidence, and True Self-Knowledge ” — http://www.amazon.ca/Only-Pack-What-Carry-Self-Knowledge/dp/1426207336 ! I’m a lone wolf (ha ha) and the book’s making me realize it’s not such a bad thing…
Cheryl recently posted..I could go to bed

44 Maureen December 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Right now I’m reading Bossypants by Tina Fey, just started The Help {want to read it before renting the movie} and I’m about to start Hunger Games.
Maureen recently posted..Kahlua Cake

45 Liz December 30, 2011 at 2:02 am

I love all 3 books by Curtis Sittenfeld 🙂 Right now I’m reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes – very interesting (on my Nook, I might add – I LOVE ereaders!)

46 Allison December 30, 2011 at 9:57 am

My momma gave me “House Rules” by Jodi Picoult for Christmas and I’ve been meaning to start it all week but it’s still sitting closed on our bookshelf [oops]!
Allison recently posted..“Life is here, now.”

47 Amy December 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

I just made a list yesterday of the top 10 books I need to read in 2012!! If anyone has any more to add to that, let me know! 🙂

48 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I just finished reading Moloka’i which is about the leper colony that was created on the Hawaiian island back in the late 1800’s to mid 1900’s. It was such a beautiful book; I read it in two days, including 5 hours just yesterday to finish it!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Side Notes: Overnight by Sarah

49 Ash Bear December 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I finished Girl with a Dragon Tatoo yesterday and am already 100 pages into The Girl Who Played with Fire! It is incredible!!
Ash Bear recently posted..Casa Mission Restaurant in Cozumel

50 Lorin December 31, 2011 at 1:56 am

These past few says I’ve been flying through the Hunger Games Series..I’m almost done with book 3. It’s really good. The previews for the movie don’t look too great though, which is dissapointing; but who knows, maybe it will turn out good.

51 diana@mymarblerye December 31, 2011 at 9:16 am

i read “room” in one day. Now my mind is f*cked up.
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Goodbye and Hello