We Bought a Zoo

by Meghann on December 28, 2011

Well we didn’t, but the family in the movie we saw tonight did.

We Bought A Zoo Poster.jpg

Such a great film!

I have a soft spot for movies or books based on true stories, especially inspirational ones. We Bought a Zoo is a film based on the memoir by Benjamin Mee that documents his family’s adventures in purchasing a run down zoo in England and bringing it back to life.

The movie’s take on the book was a sappy family-friendly film that had me both crying and laughing. Matt Damon did a great job as the widowed father who tries to bring happy adventures back into his children’s lives and the little girl who plays his daughter melts your heart in every scene.

If you need a good inspirational film that you can bring the whole family to, then go see We Bought a Zoo, it was worth the Christmas gift card we used to see it. 🙂

Seen a good movie in the theater lately?

Having Derek home this week has been an adventure in itself. I’m trying to get as much work done in the morning as I can, so I can spend the afternoon exploring with him. Today was too pretty to stay inside, so we opted to spoil Maddie with a visit to the dog park.

She played fetch, chased other dogs, and peed every time another dog tried to mark their spot. I’d say ‘operation wear Maddie out’ was a success.

I brought a giant golden delicious apple to snack on at the park.

The sun started to set as we completed our mile lap of the park and the temps began to creep down with it. The cooler weather was screaming for a big mug of hot chocolate when we made it home.

I added a packet of instant peppermint hot chocolate to a heated mug of milk.

Hot water would have been a lower calorie option, but nothing beats a mug of hot chocolate made with real milk. It adds a thick creaminess to the hot chocolate that water can’t replicate.

My sister actually inspired tonight’s dinner with the vegetable lasagna bake she made at home last Thursday. I just roasted some butternut and summer squash for about 15 minutes at 415, then layered the roasted veggies with pasta sauce, mushrooms, spinach, and cheese in a casserole dish just like I would lasagna.

It all baked for another 20 minutes and came out tasting amazing.

Thanks for the inspiration Kelly!!

I just downloaded the We Bought a Zoo book and plan to settle into a cup of hot tea and the first chapter. I’ve seen the movie version of the Mee family’s story, but now I want to read about it through his eyes. Can’t wait!

Good Night!

1 Shannon @ Mon Amour December 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I went to see that movie with my dad tonight! It was so good!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..2012 Goals

2 Nicole December 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

That lasagne looks delicious! Did you boil the noodles first? I must make this very soon!
Nicole recently posted..WIAW – Week 2

3 wymberley December 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

We saw it tonight too. I loved it. I’m such a sap!!
wymberley recently posted..2011: A Year In Review

4 Sana December 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Hhahaha, Derek is in shorts! How can it be cold? jk, I love hot chocolate!
Sana recently posted..Sweetgreen Times Two

5 Stephanie @ On the Road to RD December 29, 2011 at 12:10 am

I just saw that yesterday! SO SO SO good!

6 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 29, 2011 at 12:39 am

Now I can’t wait to watch this movie!! Hot chocolate was on our menu today — it is bbrrrrrr!!!! chilly 😀
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Rice & Carrot Pudding

7 Liz December 29, 2011 at 1:32 am

I’ve got a movie double-header planned for NYE 🙂

8 mel December 29, 2011 at 6:47 am

That is seriously the smallest serving of veggie lasagna without noodles that I have ever seen. Are you trying to lose weight or just not super hungry last night?

9 Meghann December 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

I wasn’t very hungry. The big mug of hot chocolate was pretty filling, plus the high fiber soup and apple I had earlier in the day.

10 Stacey @starpulp December 29, 2011 at 7:11 am

I saw the preview for that when I went to see New Years Eve. It looked like it had some promise…or would be a huge flop! Glad to see a positive review. Phew

Really glad you mentioned the book! I had no idea the movie was adapted from a book. I’m on a huge kick to read books before I see the movie. Just finished then watched The Help over the weekend. Now I just started Hunger Games…this might have to be next..or Water For Elephants…
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Sour Cream Substitute

11 MizFit December 29, 2011 at 7:22 am

we’ve seen EVERYTHING (kidsmoviewise :)) and loved it all—-except tintin.
please to skip tintin 🙂
MizFit recently posted..I’m the 82%.

12 S2S December 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

Ahh I love tea and good book? Does that make us like our grandmas?

That dog park looks awesome. We always end up on Davis Island with our dog at the beach park.

Enjoy your time at home with Derek!
S2S recently posted..Suit it up

13 Kim December 29, 2011 at 8:15 am

I saw this movie on Christmas day and LOVED it!! It was the perfect holiday trip to the theater for sure.
Kim recently posted..Christmas pug says hello

14 nicole@winewalking.blogspot.com/ December 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

I want to see that so bad! I am so weird though, once I read the book I have no desire to see the movie. The movie looks great, but I think I need to get my hands on the book!

15 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 29, 2011 at 9:21 am

I’ve been wanting to see that movie!! I saw mission impossible on Christmas and it was amazing!

16 Emily December 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

Your dinner looks great! Your meals are definitely inspiring to me! I am thinking about lunch now!

I can’t decide if I want to see that movie or not. If I do, it will probably be a solo movie trip, cause the husband most likely will not come with me to see that! (Not enough naked Scarlett Johanssen, lol) but at the same time, seeing a movie by myself is one of those things that I want to try.
Emily recently posted..Gym Team Us!

17 Cait's Plate December 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

I’m DYING to see that movie!! I’m so glad to hear that it was good!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..There’s Just Nothing Like…

18 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

I’m so jealous that you guys can wear shorts/short-sleeved shirts in December. The last movie we saw in the theater was Harry Potter 7 part 2. We don’t get out much, haha!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Top 10 of 2011!

19 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 29, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love your scarf in the picture of you with Maddie. Its so pretty!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

20 Army Amy* December 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

The movie looks cute. After seeing War Horse, I’m at my family friendly movie limit (I can only handle so many good feelings) but I might make an exception for Matt Damon.*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Inaugural Blend

21 Sarah December 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

I didn’t realize this was based on a true story, going to add the book to my to-read list!
Sarah recently posted..Christmas Recap

22 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

The only movie I’ve seen since August was the new Sherlock Holmes movie. It was pretty good, especially if you like solving mysteries and can catch onto the clues quickly!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sparkle Sparkle.

23 Shelley December 29, 2011 at 11:39 am

I didn’t realize it was a true story either! I totally would have read the book BEFORE seeing the movie if I had known! Regardless, the movie was excellent!
Shelley recently posted..Lemon and the Lime

24 Laura December 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thats 2 widower movies for Matt Damon this year – Contagion and We Bought a Zoo.

Hubs and I just saw Sherlock Holmes. SO GOOD. I think the next movie I’ll see is the one about the Tuskeegee airmen, because I’m going to take my dad for his birthday.
Laura recently posted..2012 Goals

25 Alaina December 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

There are so many good movies out now! I definitely want to see “We Bought a Zoo” and “The Muppets”.
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons – Week 4 (and a Virtual 10k)

26 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I saw Girl With the Dragon Tattoo the other day and it was SO good! I hadn’t read the book yet but I definitely want to now!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Vegetarian Chili