Minor Updates

by Meghann on December 28, 2011

When I moved in with Derek back in March we were both gung-ho with redecorating our place and taking it from a bachelor pad to a home.

We painted the walls, bought new couches, hung curtains, installed shelves, and took our living room from this:

January 2011

to this:

March 2011

And that’s where we stopped. Lazy, much? Yep. That’s us.

It’s even more evident in our photo frames. I put this photo collage up at the end of March.

And made some minor progress in filling the frames in April

But the empty ones stayed vacant for 8 more months.

On Monday I decided enough was enough and filled the empty frames with some favorites from the last month.

Our living room still isn’t anywhere close to done, but at least I feel better that the empty frames are gone. πŸ™‚

I also added a new frame collection above the beverage center. I’m not 100% happy with the layout, but at least it’s SOMETHING on that wall.

Now I have another empty frame to fill. Dratz.

Have any empty frames in your house? How long have they been there? πŸ˜‰

Lunch was easy today.

Leftover cornbread and leftover bean soup. Doesn’t get easier than that, right?

Maddie received a belated Christmas gift in the form of last night’s soup ham bone.

IMG_3910.jpg

That was one happy puppy. πŸ™‚

1 Hillary December 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I have a huge, multi-picture frame that I bought at Target my senior year of college that is still empty. Note: my senior year of college was five years ago. Hopefully by the end of the decade I can get around to actually filling it/hanging it on the wall ; )
Hillary recently posted..Keeping It Personal (And Professional)

2 Christine @ BookishlyB December 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

No empty frames, but I know what you mean about losing steam. We moved into our house 3.5 months ago and we painted a total of 11 rooms (including bathrooms and laundry)- I have totally lost all motivation for touch ups. And for decorating I’m just figuring I have a lifetime…. and I’m being cheap πŸ˜‰
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Blog Reading

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

No empty frames, but a bunch of random art I really wouldn’t have picked, but MIL gifted it, so…. πŸ˜‰
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..101 Percent!!

4 Cait's Plate December 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have empty frames too but you’re one step further to actually have them on the wall! I totally know what you mean about petering out – the same thing definitely happens to me…mainly because I think I bite off more than I can chew most of the time!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Gym –> Breakfast –> Work

5 erica December 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

a gallery wall is on my to-do list. all the frames are sitting in the boxes it came in…i should really go work on it! πŸ™‚
erica recently posted..christmas day part 1: hawaii 5-O edition

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m lazy too with that stuff….haha. Love the arrangement!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Bikram Yoga

7 Corey @ Learning Patience December 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

empty frames? no way…well, um not on the walls. Yes, I am equally lazy though…I like to call it simple, modern, clutter free. lol

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken

8 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane December 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I need to decorate a bit more too!! looks good so far though : ) I’m sure you’ll fill up that last spot quickly.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Running Resolutions for 2012

9 Army Amy* December 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

No empty frames at my place, but I only have a hand full of photos displayed.*
Army Amy* recently posted..War Horse in Review

10 melissa (fitnessnyc) December 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm

haha, love the pics of you and Derek! Amazing!

I have never put up an empty frame, but wine rack is still in the unopened box and I got it in March!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Lots of Reasons to Run

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’m not sure which is worse, empty frames or out of date filled ones! We have the latter in our house and it’s something that has been on my to do list for over a year now, it just never makes it to the top.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Raw cherry chocolate hazelnut balls

12 Angela December 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I thought you weren’t supposed to give dogs cooked bones, as splinters can break off and cause internal damage?

13 jennyv December 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Empty frames — but they’re still in boxes. I never put anything up without a photo πŸ™‚

14 Aleyta December 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Sometimes it can be fun to go to thrift stores or garage sales and find unique prints and frames to mix it up a bit. I don’t know if anyone in your family is artsy but adding art to a frame can create depth from just photos ya know? Lookin’ good!!!
Aleyta recently posted..On a cooking kick!

15 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

No empty frames for me. Just pictures from 2001 that never get updated. *sigh*

I think the idea of the one frame with all your siblings and their SO’s is really cute. πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Post Where I Found a Pig

16 Denisse @I Love Rice and Beans December 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Lots of empty frames, Still in a box from when I moved. You at least have them on the wall. I keep wanting an entry table to put photos on but I have yet to get one. Must say I love the black and white photos, I might have to copy that one πŸ™‚

17 Marlow December 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

A tip for that cute mirror, to keep it from slanting down in an angle is to put a push pin down towards the bottom half, that way it juts out evenly. I have three of that mirror hanging in my bedroom and when I first hung them I was SO bummed about the angle from the hardware jutting out in the back. Then ‘lightbulb’!
Marlow recently posted..Christmas Eve–Gluten Free

18 Anne P December 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Ha – fail. Home stuff like that is my least favorite and I always take forever to do it – we have had an empty photo frame collage thing hung in our dining room for like 6 months now. Sigh. I keep meaning to do something with it… πŸ™‚
Anne P recently posted..Pancakes, Le Pain Quotidien (Again), & Finding THE Dress!

19 Alaina December 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I love the frames! I want to do something like that. πŸ™‚

Maddie has crazy eyes in that picture! She is having a blast.
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons – Week 4 (and a Virtual 10k)

20 wymberley December 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm

two words: canvas photos!
wymberley recently posted..A Book, A Run, And Christmas In Pictures

21 Maureen December 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I have BOXES full of frames that I had to have, but sadly, do not have the space for in our place. This past year I did finally drag some out of the boxes and put them on walls and display cases.
Maureen recently posted..Christmas Craziness

22 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa December 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

So I haven’t been a regular reader of your blog lately, but I decided to check it today for old times sake.

8 months? That’s it?!

My husband and I hung up a beautiful collage of Ikea frames (many the same ones you have) 3 or 4 Christmases ago. It took us one year to decide what photo to put in each frame (which we then stuck a blue post it note on each reminding us of our decision).

It then took another year to decide to print the photos – but by then it had been so long we had changed our minds on what photos we wanted where, so we put it off again.

And then another year (or maybe two) of getting tired of looking at black ikea frames with blue post it notes and finally (finally!) sitting down with the computer, choose some awesome photos, and order them.

The prints came a few days later and we hung them up ASAP.

Only to discover we still have some holes.

Drats.
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..many have eaten here…

23 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 29, 2011 at 2:05 am

I need to pick up some frames for my walls as well — this serves as a reminder πŸ˜€
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Pearls of wisdom

24 Jana December 29, 2011 at 9:20 am

I just got married in Oct and have been patiently waiting for my wedding pictures to be ready! I moved into my house then as well, and I would estimate we have at least 7 frames to be filled! I have thought about just placing random pics in them so my house at least feels a bit more finished, but at the end of the day I would rather just wait for the good ones! πŸ™‚
Jana recently posted..Christmas Time is Here…

25 Sarah December 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

We have empty frames in the closet, and then I forget about them, but I never actually get around to putting them up on the wall until they have a picture πŸ™‚ We do have a spot in our bedroom where I had a group of pictures hung, one fell off the wall (I have no idea how) and now there’s a blank spot right in the middle of the arrangement. Maybe I’ll fix that this weekend!
Sarah recently posted..Christmas Recap

26 Whitney December 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

I had bought a mixed set of frames for a gallery wall but my former roommate & I (a good friend) never agreed on artwork, photography or had recent photos so they ended up just sitting on the floor of our living room for a year. To be fair, we had tried to put up one picture and our walls were like cement – there was no getting through. I finally had to get rid of empty frames / clutter.
Whitney recently posted..Humbling Home for the Holidays Virtual 10k

27 Allison December 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

We had so many empty frames sitting on our mantle and shelves that we got from our engagement party this year! I felt the same way one day and spent hours picking out some photos and taking them to get printed… Now I’m actually kinda wishing we had more frames for our Christmas pictures haha!
Allison recently posted..β€œLife is here, now.”