Lazy Legs

by Meghann on December 28, 2011

Brrrrr…..

The cold weather FINALLY rolled into Tampa Bay last night. Only two days late, no big deal. We had a shorts and tank tops Christmas, but here’s hoping to a sweater and scarves New Years. πŸ™‚

And by cold weather, I mean in the low 50s – perfect running weather. I laced up my running shoes, threw on a long sleeve tech tee and made my way to the local high school’s track for a quickie speed session.

• Warm-up
  • 4 x 400 @ 5k pace
  • 1 x 800 @ 10k Pace
  • 4 x 400 @ 5k pace
  • Cool down

Eh. Not my best speed session. Mentally I just wasn’t there. I took longer breaks in-between each 400 than I intended, my splits weren’t where I wanted them, and I just felt lazy. I could blame this on the strength training session I had yesterday, but it wasn’t that my legs felt sore, they just felt lazy, like they refused to listen and just wanted to do their own thing.

The good news is that I finished the run and now I can move on to the next one.

The cooler-than-normal run had me craving a bowl of hot oatmeal when I made it home.

I tried microwaving some quick oats we had in the pantry and had an explosion of oats in the microwave. Oops.

I made up for the explosion by topping the remaining oats with peanut butter, pear, cinnamon, and a healthy dose of pumpkin spice granola.

How do you stop the oats from exploding in the microwave? Any secrets?

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

Before I switched to making stovetop oats, I’d microwave in 1 minute intervals and stir each time in between. I think that helped from having any explosions. Although I always use old fashioned oats not quick oats so I’m not sure.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Raw cherry chocolate hazelnut balls

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

Yum! I need to get some more produce pronto because your oats look totally tasty πŸ˜€

I always cook my oats on the stove at home so I don’t have any great tips, unfortunately!!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..101 Percent!!

3 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 28, 2011 at 10:13 am

How long do you microwave those oats for? I do mine for a minute and if the bowl is big enough, I never have a problem with overflow. So…bigger bowl! πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Post Where I Found a Pig

4 michelle December 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

I am crafting up a half marathon PR plan right now and looking to incorporate some track sessions into it. The weather here hasn’t been that cold lately but people keep warning me that Germany can turn ugly (really cold) any day so I’m just crossing my fingers.
michelle recently posted..2011 in Review–Part I

5 Kara December 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

I would loveeee to have a nice 50 degree running morning! I’m so envious! I hear you on the “just not feeling it” though. I’ve had so many runs like that…way to stay positive though πŸ™‚ as for the oats; I have no secrets! I just cover the bowl with a paper towel, haha.
Kara recently posted..30/15/30 Circuit Workout

6 Shannon @ Mon Amour December 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

It’s in the low 50’s in Maryland too. I’m hoping it cools down some and we get some snow soon
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Clipless Pedals

7 Cait's Plate December 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

I haven’t had a good bowl of hot oats in FAR too long! I need to make that happen! Sorry you got the cold weather! It’s actually been somewhat mild up here in the northeast, we switched I guess! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Gym –> Breakfast –> Work

8 Lauren December 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

I, pretty much, only use the stove now but my husband makes his single serving microwave oats in a huge mixing bowl. Bonus is the room for tons of extra toppings!

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

I felt the same way today- my legs just didn’t want to run! When I make oatmeal in the microwave, I usually just keep an eye on it and stop it every time it threatens to boil over. Otherwise I put a plate on top of the bowl, that helps reduce some of the mess!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Maple Apple Cinnamon Oats

10 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

get the largest bowl possible. Also? Just heat water in a glass measuring cup and add to the oats.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..My Own Obesity Epidemic

11 Eleanor Burns December 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

I need to try the pears & cinnamon in my oatmeal. Looks good!

12 Karen @ Run Shop Travel December 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

The only way I stop oats from overflowing in the microwave is keeping a close eye on them and stopping to stir every 5-10 seconds near the end of their cook time! A bit of a hassle but so worth it!

13 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I wasn’t feeling my run yesterday either. Looks like our legs aren’t ready for the holidays to be over haha. I just use a bigger bowl for microwaving my oats, otherwise they’ll explode all the time. I also wish it was a cool 50 degrees here. After so many days in the 20s-40s, 50s is t-shirt weather for running!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Holiday Food is Trying to Kill Me

14 Dori December 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm

My oats don’t explode if I don’t overcook them. Less time in the micro!
Dori recently posted..A Long Winded Explanation of My 2012 Workout Goals

15 Sarah December 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I cannot figure out how to keep the oats from exploding – my co-worker makes his oats each morning in a giant tupperware, and says the high sides keep them from exploding. I say, the high sides make it harder to get out all the oats! Instead of microwaving, I’ve started boiling water in my electric kettle and then letting my oats sit with the hot water while I get ready (at home, not in the office, ha!).
Sarah recently posted..Christmas Recap

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm

a very tall bowl!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Gluten Free Family Dining

17 Jana December 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I usually microwave for a minute, stir, and then microwave for an additional 30 seconds at a time while keeping in eye on them. I also find that sprinkling a pinch of salt in the liquid before microwaving helps, like adding salt to a boiling pot of pasta water helps prevent spill overs!
Jana recently posted..Christmas Time is Here…

18 Michelle December 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I do my oats for 3:30 (1/2c oats, with 1c total liquid) microwave at 40% power. No more overflow! Amazing! πŸ™‚ I heart oats!

19 Shelley December 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

My tip: do the seaparate 1 minute, then 30 second microwave segments and then cover with waxed paper instead of a paper towel- that way you can scrape off any explosions and eat them! πŸ™‚
Shelley recently posted..Is it opposite day?

20 Alyssa December 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Make your quick oats as you’re supposed to but instead of putting it in the microwave for the full time all at once, break it up into 1 minute intervals and stir inbetween. I find quick oats cook best in the microwave with 1/3c oats to 2/3c water, microwave for 1 min. Take out, add another 1/3c water or milk and microwave for 1 more minute.

I’m a quick oats microwave expert +4 years of microwaved oats almost every day for breakfast!
Alyssa recently posted..I Finished Early!

21 Angela December 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’ve never had my oats explode. I nuke mine for 2 minutes without any breaks. Just make sure you use a deep enough bowl.
Angela recently posted..Back to Reality

22 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’ve never tried microwaving oats so I have no tips to share but your topping selection looks delicious!!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Triple almond granola and fun food facts

23 Liz December 29, 2011 at 1:05 am

I used to have a problem with not exactly an explosion, but the oats running over the bowl. I bought a small plastic ‘pan’ (the Micro Cooker) from Pampered Chef that’s larger than any of my bowls & it works wonders because there’s plenty of room for my oats πŸ™‚

24 Liz December 29, 2011 at 1:06 am

Oh, and the pan was only $8.50 for the small & $11 for the large (which I just bought since I liked the small so much so that I can make a couple of batches of oats at once). Sorry – not trying to offer up a PC marketing campaign here – I don’t even sell the stuff πŸ˜‰

25 Emily December 29, 2011 at 10:49 am

Sigh. I am a little jealous that a cold run for you is low 50s. Lol. My run this morning was in the 20s! And it was not easy or fun. Legs stay cold for a LONG time.
I have no oats secrets. I am always failing at the oats in the microwave.
Emily recently posted..Gym Team Us!