The In-Between Week

by Meghann on December 27, 2011

Welcome to the in-between week.

inbetween week.jpg

The in-between week is the week between Christmas and New Years that moves like molasses on the office front. Most people take the week off and very rarely are major business deals sealed in that time frame. Back when I worked my desk job, my boss would take two weeks off every Christmas break. I would spend that time organizing folders and cleaning up my email because there was nothing much else to do. Most people were off for the holidays and very few work related tasks made their way through the pipeline.

Derek’s entire company has this week off and he extended his time off into next week too as we prepare for Ragnar.

It’s also a slow week on the social media front. I know my blog posts have gone down and it feels like a ghost town on twitter. The only thing really happening is Facebook as everyone shares photos of Christmas morning and the love of spending time with friends and family. It would be interesting to compare nation-wide tweet or Facebook stats from this week to any other.

I love the down time and am trying to soak it all in as I prepare for the new year. This week is one final breather before 2012 kicks off with a bang at the start of next week. πŸ™‚

Mini Tortilla Quiches

I pulled out eggs and some smoked salmon for lunch today and came up with the random idea for mini tortilla quiches.

I started with tortilla pieces that I pressed into a greased muffin tin.

Then poured a mix of egg, milk, smoked salmon, and olives into the tortillas.

And baked for 10 minutes at 375

I had three for lunch topped with some salsa.

The tortilla worked great as a lighter crust for the quiches (opposed to the butter heavy pie crust) and the smoked salmon and olive additions gave the quiches a nice salty touch. I thought they came out great.

Paired with asparagus.

What’s the in-between week like where you are?

1 Anne December 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I usually take this week off, but we took of Thanksgiving week instead. It is definitely moving slo-o-o-o-w. Those tortillas sound absolutely delicious though! I just might have to go buy some more eggs!

2 bethany December 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Um, those are the cutest lil quiches I’ve ever seen!!! What a neat idea! I want to go home right now and make them! (Even though I just ate lunch at work!!!)

3 Hillary December 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

As a teacher, I have this entire week off. It is GLORIOUS!
Hillary recently posted..Keeping It Personal (And Professional)

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Those quiches look so fun! πŸ˜€

I am at work but get all the work done early so it’s nice and slow…
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Mission: ACCOMPLISHED!!

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

The inbetween week for me is slow because I don’t have to work! ALthough that just means I get to take care of some much needed household tasks.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the three days of christmas

6 Dori December 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm

A normal busy work week for us here!
Dori recently posted..A Long Winded Explanation of My 2012 Workout Goals

7 Erika - The Teenage Taste December 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Those tortilla quiches look fabulous! They’d make fabulous grab-and-go breakfasts once I go back to school! πŸ™‚
Erika – The Teenage Taste recently posted..Eggnog Bread Pudding

8 Pamela | Girl Gone West December 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I WISH I had a slow in-between week! Of course the biggest project of my career was just dropped into my lap…due January 2nd. So, that’s my in-between week. πŸ˜‰ At least my manager is out so I can stress and cram and work late without anyone looking over my shoulder.
Pamela | Girl Gone West recently posted..Something Random This Way Comes

9 Jana December 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm

The office is super slow this week, but I have to say I actually enjoy this week every year! Sept through Dec is the busy time in my industry so it’s nice to breathe easy this week and wrap up any unfinished projects you’ve put to the side for the last few months. That way you can start the new year with a clean slate! Plus it’s casual week, so wearing jeans all week is not too shabby either!

10 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m in office land, so this week is slowwwww. We all get bored and do a lot more chit-chatting this week of the year. Clever idea on the mini tortilla quiches…they look so yummy!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Back to Reality

11 Mindy @ Clueless Nut December 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Oh my gosh.. that looks delicious. I have never had smoked salmon! (cheeks blushing)
Mindy @ Clueless Nut recently posted..Found: A Clueless Nut

12 Elisabeth December 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I work at a hospital, so we’re business as usual all day, every day πŸ˜‰ I wish I could have the week off in-between!

13 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups December 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That’s so nice that Derek gets this whole week off. Our office should give us the week off because so many people take the week of anyway. I’m loving the down time as well. It’s a great time to get things done around the house and catch up with old friends.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Post-Christmas

14 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Those mini quiches are a great idea with the tortillas. I’m always looking for ways to use smoked salmon.
I take care of my infant niece for my brother and sister in law and both thief companies are open 24 hours a day and 365 days a year ( even Christmas!), so they both work all week even though business is slow.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Commit to be Fit

15 Jessie December 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m really wishing I had some vacation time at my job so that I wouldn’t have to be in the office during the “in-between week”. I (thankfully) have things to do today, but the rest of the week looks painfully slow!

16 Cait's Plate December 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

It’s horrible! I hate this week – everyone really should just close. I’m so jealous of Derek’s company!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Break Off a Piece

17 Angela December 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm

My company has the week off as well but all the rest of the family work in retail or medical jobs so it’s quiet for me at home. I’ll be using the time to have a clear out. Already have 2 boxes and a bag of clothes to donate!

18 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

It is super dead where I am! I really wish I had more days off this week. I will definitely be treating myself to some vacation at this time next year!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Kicking It Off With a Bang

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I LOVE this week off! My company has this week off too-saaaWEET.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Foam Roller (and Christmas) Magic

20 Rachel December 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm

We actually have a regularly busy week at work. The only thing I’m enjoying is the extremely light traffic during my commute and closer parking at my office. πŸ™‚
Rachel recently posted..2011 Party Review

21 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have the week off from work but have some personal school-related things to do. It’s almost worse than being at work because all I want to do is relax!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..The Farm

22 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Those are so adorable. I love mini things. I think it’s because I’m such a midget.

I HATE the in-between week! It is literally a ghost town and I just want to be productive. Therefore, us college students are productive the only way we know how to be.

Celebrate New Year’s all week! Starting at noon. #sorryimnotsorry

23 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

what a cute idea! those look good! In between time is pretty relaxing for me, because I’m in law school and I’m on break! Soaking in every relaxing moment!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Molly’s First Christmas

24 Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I have no motivation for productivity this week at all. I’m kind of liking it though. πŸ˜‰
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Do As I Say, Not As I Do

25 erica December 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm

i wish my in between week was like that, but i’m sitting at my desk swamped with stuff!!! πŸ™ (so i’m taking a sanity break to read blogs. i’m my own time management problem, i know.)
erica recently posted..christmas day part 1: hawaii 5-O edition

26 Anne Weber-Falk December 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Am I missing something? What is Ragnar?

27 Meghann December 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

It’s a 48-hr relay race Derek and I are participating in that starts in Miami and ends in Key West. πŸ™‚

28 Anne Weber-Falk December 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm

OOoohhhh. Thanks!

29 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I’m technically working these 3 days this week and it’s so pointless because I work for a company that deals exclusively in higher ed and no schools are open this week which basically means I can do expense reports and other admin things at best. I never feel like it’s worth taking real PTO because work is so pathetically slow anyways!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Eggnog breakfast bake

30 Sarah December 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This is a busy week for us – getting all the cash distributions paid out from our various subsidiaries, circulating the first drafts of the annual report, and starting to pull together information for reporting to our parent company – this Friday through June is one giant busy season stretch for me…today + tomorrow are the last calm before the storm!
Sarah recently posted..Happy Short Week

31 Army Amy* December 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm

It’s very in between here. I keep checking my google reader, but not much is popping up! I hope you and Derek get some good quality time in since he has the week off.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Our First Deployed Christmas

32 Laura December 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

It is DEAD in my office. I have no motivation to get anything done, except for the fact that I need to get stuff done. I think next year I will save some PTO and take this week off.
Laura recently posted..Operation Jack Northwest Race Recap

33 Stephanie December 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm

poo those look so yummy.

i could not agree more lol, crazy week this week

34 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama December 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I usually work MWF so my in between week technically begins tomorrow. Not looking forward to it but at least it will be a short week with another long weekend coming up!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Hello everyone!

35 theswanin.me December 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm

No salsa for me please! Those look yummy!!! What a great idea.
theswanin.me recently posted..So. very. tired.

36 Kristin @ FoodFash December 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I’m not working this week if you want to meet up! We can try that veggie place near USF or something else closer to you πŸ™‚
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Monstah Lobstah

37 Meghann December 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Yay! Let’s meet up!

38 Sana December 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yep, I am off from work till Jan 3rd!

39 Nicole December 27, 2011 at 10:44 pm

In between week over here too! I’m working today and tomorrow and then I’m off until the New Year. Today was extremely slow – I hope tomorrow is just a tad busier. Wait, what am I saying? No I don’t! I welcome the slower times!
Nicole recently posted..My picture-less Christmas

40 Christina December 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

At my office they were closed MOnday and will be closed Friday. I took off Tuesday and will only work til lunch tomorrow, but for some reason decided to work all of today…. why… i do not know! This morning when my alarm was sounding i couldn’t for the life of me remember why i thought working a full day in the middle of the week would be a good idea! Meanwhile my hubby is off work all this week and came to take me to lunch today.. so that made it a little better.
Christina recently posted..Everyone Starts Somewhere

41 Diana December 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Man, I want to come work in the industry that you do! December is always the month of hell at my job with deals needing to be closed by year end and other parties [never us of course;)] mucking up the details! I haven’t run in 10 days and I’m about to lose my mind!
Diana recently posted..It’s the most wonderful time of the year

42 Whitney December 29, 2011 at 11:03 am

We found at the last minute that our office was closed between the holidays – yay! Much needed all around for the recharge. Splitting my time between a vacation & staycation I plan to cross off some to-do list items that have been lingering & change up the normal workout routine. How is it Thursday already??
Whitney recently posted..Humbling Home for the Holidays Virtual 10k

43 Emily December 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wow. the tortilla quiche looks delicious. I am definitely going to test that out.
Emily recently posted..Morning Gym Time!