Baby Derek

by Meghann on December 26, 2011

I struck gold at Derek’s parents’ house this afternoon. πŸ™‚

Three full drawers of old home videos to explore! That’s hours of Derek themed Christmases, birthdays, and naked bath times. Better than reality TV if you ask me.

It really was fun being filled in on family history and playing the ‘where are they now’ game. I’ve heard stories about certain family members, but I’ve never even seen a photo before. It was great to put a face to name. Plus, Derek was just so darn cute as a kid.

Baby’s first haircut!

See? Adorable! πŸ™‚

Derek’s parents invited us over for leftovers and free reign of the home movies this afternoon.

The food was great, but I think I’ve finally had my fill of turkey and all the fixins’ for the year. Too much of a good thing is never good. Until next year turkey…

One last piece of orange cranberry cake for the road.

We spent the majority of the day at Derek’s parents house watching the videos. We made a quick pit stop at Publix on the way home and restocked our fridge with every fresh vegetable and fruit we could get a hold of.

I came home and threw together a veggie heavy dinner of kale, carrot, asparagus, chickpeas, hummus, and walnuts. It was exactly what my body and tummy was craving- nothing but green.

I was also craving a candy cane.

IMG_3886.jpg

Our tree is full of them, but I had yet to try one. They’re chocolate-mint flavored. They’re ok, but I think I’ll stick with traditional peppermint next year.

IMG_3888.jpg

Our tree looks so empty without any thing underneath!

How long do you leave your holiday decorations up?

I usually leave everything up until New Years, but since Derek is home for the week, I may take it down earlier, so he can assist with getting everything in the attic. Loading and unloading the boxes is a two person job and not one I’m looking forward to. πŸ™

1 Kate December 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I usually take my decorations down the first weekend of January, but when I was a kid, my mom would leave them up as long as possible. I think she made it to February until my dad took it upon himself to pack everything up πŸ™‚
Kate recently posted..β€˜Tis Better To Give Than Receive

2 Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe December 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Ahhhh I loooove old movies! Too cute!
Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Virtual 10k Race & Christmas Recap!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm

We just watched home videos on Thanksgiving and then my father forgot to take th VHS out and tapped over an entire year’s worth of memories! I think my mother almost divorced him when she found out. It’s so sad πŸ™
We usually leave our tree up until New Year’s but I may take stuff down this week too since I’m home and will probably have the time.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A glimpse

4 Courtney December 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm

We leave ours up until New Years day!
Courtney recently posted..Christmas 2011!

5 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! December 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I LOVE home videos, especially when they involve my hubby! Love it!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Sweet and Delicious Christmas Squash

6 Molly December 27, 2011 at 6:03 am

“Their chocolate-mint flavor. They’re ok, but I think I’ll stick with traditional peppermint next year.”

Seriously?

7 Meghann December 27, 2011 at 11:25 am

They’re chocolate mint flavored. All fixed. πŸ™‚

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 27, 2011 at 7:48 am

I love seeing old home videos of my husband … we watched some on Christmas Eve at his parents’ house, and they were hilarious! My husband shaves his head now, so it’s funny to see him with a head full of hair! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A Christmas Bingo Game

9 Cait's Plate December 27, 2011 at 10:01 am

Oh my gosh, Derek is ADORABLE!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chias & Berries

10 Kristabel December 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

The orange cranberry cake looks divine!

11 Army Amy* December 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

I’m already in the process of putting away my decorations. Adios, Christmas!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Our First Deployed Christmas

12 Elisabeth December 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

We usually take ours down at the end of December, based on what days I have off from work πŸ˜‰

13 Katie December 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I love the Hershey’s Chocolate Mint Candy Canes! They’re the only kind I eat!

14 melissa (fitnessnyc) December 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I am ready for mine to come down asap. I am not a very festive person I guess! Although I am not sure if I am prepared to handle the mess of dragging the tree out!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Celebs Share Their Healthiest Tips and Tricks

15 Hilda December 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm

We leave ours up at least until The Epiphany (6th) has passed. From Christmas Day until the 6th are the 12 days of Christmas. It takes so much time decorating that I like to enjoy it for as long as I can.

16 Emily December 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm

It is now the day before New Year’s Eve. We need to start taking stuff down, but have not yet. Maybe tomorrow?
Emily recently posted..A Night out with my Friends