School’s Out For Winter

by Meghann on December 21, 2011

And you know what the means right?

Full access to the track all winter break! Woo hoo!

Hello track! I’ve missed you! πŸ™‚

The two local tracks near me are attached to high schools and both have very strict policies on when the public are and are not allowed to use them. For instance: no one is allowed on the tracks when it’s dark, school is in session, or the track is being used for school related activities. Before the time change it was fine – my track group would meet at 6:30pm and run while it was still light out and school was done for the day. Then the time changed, it started getting darker earlier, and I haven’t been on my beloved track since. Boo.

With school out over the next two weeks, the track is now free all day with very limited restrictions. Sweet! I’ve really been looking forward to taking advantage of it. Track work may hurt, but I really do love it.

I was at the track just after sunrise this morning hoping to get some 800s in. The skies were clear, the weather was cool, and there wasn’t a soul around – it was perfect!

I had 6×800 @ 10k pace on the schedule. I started with an easy 800 warm-up then proceeded with my 800s and 3:00 minute rests in between.

The 800s felt great. I missed having a track partner to help push me through the second laps though. My first lap was consistently stronger than my second and I could feel my body wanting to taper off when the finish line still felt so far away. I need to work on staying strong for each lap and staying consistent with speed.

Instead of sticking with my 10k pace (7:45ish min/mi) I pushed it as hard as I could. I began to feel weaker faster than I wanted to, but boy did it feel good to push myself.

Final Stats:

• Warm Up: 4:52 (9:47 pace)
  • 1: 3:38 (7:17 pace)
  • 2: 3:31 (7:01 pace)
  • 3: 3:29 (6:55 pace)
  • 4: 3:41 (7:25 pace)
  • 5: 3:40 (7:21 pace)
  • 6: 3:33 (7:11 pace)
  • Cool Down: 4:24 (8:48 pace)
  • Total Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 30:51 <– not counting the 3 min breaks between each set

I was on cloud 9 after my great run and decided to make a special breakfast to celebrate.

Eggnog french toast layered with blackberries and an eggnog/yogurt topping.

Yum!

Instead of adding regular milk to my normal egg white/ cinnamon french toast bath, I added a healthy dose of eggnog. Then I let the whole wheat toast soak for a good 4 minutes in the mix before moving it to the griddle.

The french toast was layered with fresh blackberries and plain greek yogurt that I mixed with eggnog and cinnamon. The eggnog flavor wasn’t as strong as I was hoping it would be, but it was still there just enough to pull you into the holiday spirit. πŸ™‚

The eggnog infused french toast and yogurt would be a fun dish to make for Christmas morning. πŸ™‚

Don’t forget!

You still have a couple of hours left to enter the Five Bamboo Holiday Dress giveaway! Comments close at noon EST!

Need some motivation to run while you’re home celebrating the holidays this weekend? Check out The 1st Annual Home for the Holidays Virtual 10k hosted by Ashley, Robin, and Stephanie! There are lots of fun prizes and who doesn’t love racing (virtually) with friends? πŸ™‚

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 21, 2011 at 10:22 am

Just curious…do you stop and rest for those 3 minute breaks or walk, or jog?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Chocolate dipped clementines

2 Meghann December 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I walked for the rests and allowed my heart rate to come back down.

3 kathleen @ the daily crumb December 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

4 miles in 30 minutes?! amazing, girl!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..florida date night.

4 Ash Bear December 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

Great workout this morning! I wish I had sprinted instead of slept. Oh well!! Thanks for helping us spread the word about the virtual 10k!
Ash Bear recently posted..Home for the Holidays Virtual 10K

5 Tia December 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

That looks soooooooooo good.

6 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 21, 2011 at 10:45 am

I always feel really fortunate that we have public tracks here in nyc!! They can get REALLY crowded, though.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Great Clustercluck of 2011

7 Stephanie December 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

Omg I love French toast looks soo good! Great workout:) thanks for the shoutout! So fun, can’t wait πŸ™‚

8 Anne December 21, 2011 at 10:49 am

Whoa lady! You are a speed demon πŸ™‚ looks like you had a great workout!

9 Jamie @ FoodinRealLife December 21, 2011 at 10:54 am

To enhance the egg nog flavor, maybe next time try adding some of it into your plain yogurt topping!
Jamie @ FoodinRealLife recently posted..Week 33 Pregnancy Update

10 Meghann December 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I did add egg nog to the plain yogurt! That’s where I thought the flavor was missing – next time I’ll add more egg nog. πŸ˜‰

11 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 21, 2011 at 10:55 am

That french toast looks SO FREAKING GOOD!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Pancakes and popcakes

12 Michelle December 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Speedy girl! Track workouts hurt so good

13 Kristi December 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Thanks for letting me know about the virtual 10k. I just registered! That is good motivation for a run this weekend!

14 Meghann December 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Woo hoo! Good luck girl!

15 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets December 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

How I adore egg nog season – I must try the french toast…..
Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets recently posted..Doesn’t Harry Potter eat veggies?

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

WOW nice workout–and good job on the fast run!

What a great sounding b-fast….maybe I should soak my bread in choc milk?! I love that stuff πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Hilly HIIT Running Workout

17 Mallory @ Have your cake December 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

awesome run! that looks so good…i might have to make some for dinner. the perks of living as a single girl πŸ˜‰
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Out with the Old

18 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ooooo eggnog French toast sounds delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Breakfast and Dinner Recipes!

19 Emily December 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Nice! My track that I like to use has a pretty similar policy, although they are ok with using it when its dark (I have been over there at 4:30am more than once!) but it might be nice to get in some daylight speedwork next week when I am off and they are out of school!
Emily recently posted..HIIT and another run!

20 jodie December 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Great run girl. I am trying to decide if I should run. It is a bit on the cold side here.
jodie recently posted..Multitasking Exercises

21 Allison December 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm

There are only 3 days left before Christmas and I still haven’t bought any eggnog, there is something very wrong with this situation πŸ˜› Must make a trip to the store tomorrow…
Allison recently posted..Teaching From the Heart