Partying in O-Town

by Meghann on December 18, 2011

In most areas around the country wedding season typically runs from May to August. That’s when you have green fields, blue skies, temps above freezing, etc. etc.

Soooo not the case around here.

In Florida things are usually opposite. Our wedding season runs from November to March (just like our running season πŸ˜‰ ). That’s when the temps are pretty mild and you’re not going to kill your guests with heat and humidity. (Caitlin was married in a beautiful outdoor ceremony in January back in 2009 and we wore sleeveless dresses comfortably – not too hot and not too cold. It was perfect.)

Wedding season is in full swing here now and I have three ceremonies coming up in the next couple of months. (I had a friend that was married in November as well, but I had to unfortunately miss the wedding :().

I just so happened to luck out that two of the bridal showers for those weddings were on the same weekend, so I could easily kill two birds with one stone while I’m in the Titusville/Orlando area. Sweet!

Later today I’ll be attending my future sister-in-law’s shower, but yesterday I met up with my friend Jessica for her bridal lunch.

I’ve known Jessica since I was a senior in high school and she was a freshmen. She’s always been mature past her years and it really feels like yesterday that she got engaged (when really it was a year ago – see post here!). She moved to St. Louis a couple of months ago and in that time her local wedding has turned into a destination affair with having to make all the decisions so many thousands of miles away.

She was in town briefly to file for her marriage license and wrap up some loose ends, so we all met up for a bridal lunch to celebrate her upcoming big day.

Jessica and I spent an hour on gchat on Wednesday trying to figure out the perfect place for lunch. Both of us love great local restaurants and both of us have since moved from Orlando and miss the Orlando food scene dearly. While we were rattling off every great restaurant Orlando had to offer, Bananas Diner – a semi-newish casual restaurant near downtown that I’d never been to, but always wanted to try and Jessica had been once and loved the food – entered our minds. We were sold.

Bananas is an upscale diner with a large menu that features fun twists on diner classics such as burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, etc and a breakfast menu that’s served all day.

They’re also known for their drag shows and drag nights.

It’s sort of like Hamburger Mary’s, only they have better food. πŸ™‚

We started with a basket of sweet potato fries for the table that came dusted with cinnamon and sugar. I’m not a huge fan of ‘sweet’ sweet potato fries, so I proceeded to drench my share in ketchup to hide the cinnamon/sugar seasoning. Much better that way.

For my meal I ordered the ‘Funky Monkey’ on a chicken breast.

The fried goat cheese on a sandwich is a brilliant idea, but the chicken it came on was as tough as rubber. It was hard to cut and harder to chew. Maybe next time I’ll just get a fried goat cheese sandwich? πŸ˜‰

Of course, it wouldn’t be a bridal shower/lunch without presents!

IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3455.JPG

It was a girl themed affair. πŸ˜‰

It was so much fun catching up with friends! The next time I see Jessica she’ll be all dressed in white. Only 1 more month to go! πŸ™‚

After I left the shower/lunch, I met my sister for a little Christmas shopping on the east side of town. Then somehow, I had no idea how this happened ;), we ended up at Jeremiah’s for a little afternoon snack.

This sticker had my name written all over it. πŸ˜‰

I ordered a small cake batter/ pumpkin ice and savored every icy bite. πŸ˜‰

IMG_3471.jpg

Instead of driving all the way to Titusville last my night, I claimed my sister’s spare bed for the night (Sorry Oliver and Sadie, Aunt Meghann needed a place to crash) and in the luck of all luck our friend Amber just happened to be throwing a Christmas party the same night I was in town. Score!

IMG_3489.jpg

Hi Amber! πŸ™‚

Amber and her boyfriend David invited a few friends over for a little holiday get together.

Amber was a great hostess and had a table full of fabulous nibbles and sweets that she had been working on since Friday. Everything was made from scratch and everything was delicious. Amber – you’re amazing!

IMG_3476.jpg

I started with a snack plate with a little bit of everything, but went back through the night for a few more follow-up bites

including a mini cupcake and cakeball – yum!

When my mouth still wanted to nibble – but I knew my stomach was satisfied – I started grabbing just veggies to nibble on. It seemed to do the trick of keeping my mouth entertained. πŸ™‚

I love holiday drinks that have cranberries in them! They’re so festive and fun! The double-berry martini was delicious. πŸ™‚

Everyone was asked to bring a small gift for the chinese gift exchange.

Let’s just say if you ask a group of twenty-somethings to bring a gift for a gift exchange you end up with some pretty interesting gifts being passed around. πŸ˜‰ Good times.

IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3502.JPG IMG_3506.JPG IMG_3508.JPG

But I think Anthony ended up with the best gift of all.

IMG_3512.jpg IMG_3513.jpg IMG_3514.jpg IMG_3515.jpg IMG_3516.jpg IMG_3517.jpg

Awesome. πŸ™‚

IMG_3521.jpg

We didn’t stay up too late, but I crashed right when we made it back to the car. You can’t take me anywhere at night without me falling asleep in the backseat as soon as we leave. It’s a bad habit that leads to a lot of embarrassing photos – and I only had one drink!

I’m heading to Titusville now to celebrate my future sister-in-law. Ah! So exciting!

Happy Sunday everyone!

1 Ash Bear December 18, 2011 at 9:29 am

It looks like you had a wonderful time. We are finally in the midst of winter here, 23 degrees this morning, while you’re still in t-shirts! πŸ™‚ I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!
Ash Bear recently posted..Wine, Cheese, and Cookies

2 Kath December 18, 2011 at 9:37 am

When did your hair get so long!? Pretty!
Kath recently posted..Appetize Me

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

I bought my husband a red “onesie” pajama set last year as a joke and he wears it everynight in the winter. I kid you not, a 31 year old grown man in a footed pajama getup. I call him an oompa loompa in it. It’s ridiculous and I laugh every time he puts it on. I hope Anthony wears his πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pineapple orange tropical muffins

4 Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe December 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m sorry, cake batter pumpkin ice?! That sounds incredible. As for the “forever lazy,” I love it! We’re hosting a feetie pajama new years eve party this year, and I can’t wait!
Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fabulous Friday… FINALLY!

5 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie December 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

What a fun party!! So glad you had such a great time!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Baking For A Cause (Giveaway)

6 Courtney December 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

Bananas and Jeremiah’s in one day?! Lucky girl!
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: One Month In!

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend!

The forever lazy totally reminds me of the snuggie. I got one as a gag gift a few years ago and its totally ridiculous.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Boston Marathon: 12 miler take 2

8 Sana December 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

hahaha you need post those embarrassing pics!
Sana recently posted..Breakfast Edition II

9 Molly December 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Chinese gift exchange? Quite an offensive and racist term to me.

10 Heather December 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I agree. Why not just call it White Elephant or Yankee Swap?

11 Meghann December 19, 2011 at 7:55 am

It was called a Chinese Gift Exchange when I’ve done them in the past. I’m sorry it didn’t occur to me that it was an offensive term. I will refer to it as a white elephant next time I’m in one. I didn’t mean to offend anyone.

12 Liz December 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

LOL. Not offensive to me, but when I read it in your post I just knew somebody was going to make a comment about it.

13 kate December 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’ve never heard it called that either. Maybe different terms for different parts of the country?

14 kate December 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

But yes, offensive.

15 Meghann December 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

From eHow: Rules for Chinese Gift Exchange

By Christina Riopelle, eHow Contributor A Chinese gift exchange is a fun, economical and social way to exchange gifts. The tradition is well suited to groups.

Origin

The China reference is unclear. One suggestion points to the Chinese concept of destiny. Participants believe their random gift was not random. Alternate names are “Yankee Swap” and “Gift Grab.”

16 Coco December 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Sweet! Looks like a fun filled weekend with some yummy eats! Those cupcakes look amazing πŸ™‚
Coco recently posted..Rest days- I always want to skip-em..

17 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Haha so cute. I love bridal shenanigans!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..SOMS

18 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Looks so fun – I love gift exchanges, That Forever Lazy thing is crazy! I made such fun of the Snuggie when it first came out and then I got one, and I totally ate my words. I fell in love with my snuggie and it became my new BFF.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Salmon, Salmon, Pudding

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Looks/sounds fun! I love a good bridal party πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Type Of Party Eater

20 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm

That onesie is so funny!! Love Christmas parties. πŸ™‚

21 theswanin.me December 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Awww what a great time! I love that last picture!! That right there is frame worthy!!! πŸ™‚ I wish we had some yummy local places here.
theswanin.me recently posted..Day 41/42 Tampa and beyond! (ok well home)

22 wymberley December 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

At a 30 something party, we all try to out “Martha Stewart” each other. And men never model those gifts…
wymberley recently posted..Jingle Bell Hell Recap

23 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I’m pretty sure St. Louis is the best place to live! πŸ˜‰ JK! I hope Jessica is enjoying her new home, but I know I would much rather be in Florida right now also!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..a break for us [+ a video]

24 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Bananas and Funky Monkey Wine Co are owned by the same people too! πŸ™‚

25 Lee December 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m really bad about falling asleep in the car too.
Lee recently posted..Exploring Greenville

26 Cait's Plate December 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love your dress! And those cupcakes look incredible!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hot Cocoa Friday

27 Emily December 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Looks like you had tons of fun! The food at the party looks awesome too!
Emily recently posted..Weekend in T-town

28 Amber December 20, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Aww.. I am so glad you came! I t was great seeing you πŸ™‚ Hope to see you again soon! Have a Merry Christmas!!