Table for One

by Meghann on December 16, 2011

New-Years-Eve-Theatrical-Promo-Poster-500x737.jpg

Oh, New Year’s Eve.

I saw it tonight and please let me start by saying that I wanted to like this movie – I really, really wanted to like this movie – but there were a few things the drove me a little crazy.

1. The movie starts out with shots of time square preparing for ‘2011’ with New Year’s crowds in 2011 hats, 2011 glasses, and 2011 in front of the ball. Then somewhere in the middle, the movie is all about 2012. For some reason, this drove be bonkers.
  2. The instant labor and delivery timeline. Hmmm… pretty sure labor takes a little more than a couple of hours from the start of the first contraction to the popping a screaming baby out.
  3. All of the characters’ storylines were a bit weak. I didn’t feel there was a big enough build up to truly root for all of them.
  4. I’m all fo cheesy romantic comedies, but even this one may have taken the cheesiness a bit too far.

The movie did make me laugh and it was cute for what it was, but I’d say Valentine’s Day and Love Actually were much better. Save your money in the theater and rent it later on. Trust me.

Anyone else see it yet? Thoughts?

I saw New Year’s Eve with a few friends, but I was on my own for dinner tonight. Instead of eating leftover pizza (again), I did what any grown woman would do – I had dinner. On my own. At one of my favorite downtown Titusville eateries.

I’m really stubborn sometimes and if I can’t find someone to join me for dinner, then I have no problem eating there alone. Plus, I’ve realized that since graduating and moving away that I really don’t know as many people as I used to in this small town. I saw the movie tonight with my friend Rachel (who I met a year ago at a 5k), her fiance, and my future sister-in-law – all people I’ve met since graduating and leaving.

Besides, i’d recently downloaded What Alice Forgot? on my ipad and was looking for an excuse to sit back and enjoy it anyways. I was seated at a table for 4, ordered my meal, then sat back with my ipad and began to read.

However, it wasn’t long before the server re-appeared and asked if I wouldn’t mind moving to a smaller table so they could have the bigger one. That may have been a low point from the evening. Nothing like drawing attention to the girl eating alone in the room. :/

At least the food was good. I ordered the soup and salad special with a cup of chili and a tossed salad.

The chili was served hot with fresh onions and cheese.

And the salad was overflowing with toppings.

And that was my exciting Friday night in the thriving town of Titusville. Woo hoo.

Good Night. πŸ™‚

1 Shannon December 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Totally agree. The characters were not as lovable, and although I did enjoy it, it was definitely not as good as valentines day. Totally not worth the movie theater price…save it for on demand. I think it was missing a pure hearted child like in vday. Abigail breslin was just a bit too old to steal our hearts like that cutie who was trying to send flowers to his teacher.

2 Carissa December 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Boo to that movie sucking…I kinda saw that coming though. I LOVE Love Actually…”I feel it in my fingers”…

And Boo to the guy for making you move. they sat you at that table!!! I like being alone sometimes too, especially with the craziness of the holiday season.
Carissa recently posted..Christmas Trivia

3 Angela @living badass December 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm

OMG, you denied free cobbler from Kloiblers? Are you crazy? That’s the best part of going to eat there!!!
Angela @living badass recently posted..Double Coupons!

4 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Oh bummer- I wanted to see that and I was reallllly hoping it was going to be good. Although I had my suspicions it wouldn’t live up the hype. πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..The D’s of December: Desserts & Drinks

5 Liz December 16, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Oh wow…I totally disagree on New Year’s Eve. Yes, it’s a cheesy romantic comedy sort of film, but I saw it Wednesday with friends and LOVED it! I think it’s definitely worth going to the theater – $6 was totally worth the cheap entertainment. πŸ˜‰

6 tara December 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I read What Alice Forgot a few months ago. It was a really good read. I hope you enjoy it. I am disappointed to hear your movie review, it looked like it had such good potential for a girls night out.

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I hadn’t even heard of this movie! This is what happens when you don’t have cable…totally out of the loop. Good to know though, I’ll wait for Redbox or Netflix.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Rustic rosemary cheddar bacon biscuits

8 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I don’t think I could EVER eat at a restaurant on my own without entertainment. My laptop, a book, a magazine, what have you. I am so scatterbrained.

I would have taken the free cobbler. Hehe.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..12.16.2011

9 Steph @ 321delish December 16, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I was traveling alone on business once and went out to dinner by myself for the first time ever. I was SO nervous and felt like everyone was watching me. I enjoyed my food, but kept my nose in my book. I feel like it was a small victory though, because I can go out alone now, and think nothing of it!

And, I completely agree with you about New Years Eve. TERRIBLE movie!!! I don’t understand how ALL of those celebrities agreed to be in it!!!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..A Few Announcements

10 Stephanie P December 17, 2011 at 12:34 am

I just went on a business trip to Washington DC last week and had to eat alone for a lot of meals. I used to eat by myself in college, but after graduating a few years ago, I haven’t. It was OK, but as I was sitting at a table in a restaurant reading a book on my kindle, I couldn’t help but wonder if the servers were disappointed I was a “party of 1”!

11 Army Amy* December 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

I thinks it’s baller of you to eat solo. My husband deployed this summer, and I’ve only gone out to eat alone once. It wasn’t bad, but it took me a while to work up the nerve. Plus, eating with other people is just more fun.*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Master Becomes The Student

12 Dee @ GF Grad Nut December 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

No shame, girl. I moved to a new city 6 months ago and have done plenty of eating, shopping, etc. alone. I think it’s a kind of empowering!

13 Marissa Elliot December 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

“The server offered free cobbler when I moved tables, but I politely declined and had an apple for dessert when I got home instead.”

whaaat???

14 tracey December 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

I think it was pretty crappy of them to move your table – why did they seat you at a table for 4 to begin with? Pretty tacky if you ask me. And you should have taken the cobbler to go πŸ˜‰

15 TanyaS December 17, 2011 at 10:45 am

Its been one of my goals in life to eat alone at a restaurant. So far I’ve only managed the food court πŸ™‚

FYI – woke up with a backache @ 3:30am and delivered my son @ 7:15am after zero contractions felt & 3 pushes and my daughter after 45 minutes of noticeable contractions & 3 pushes. I am one of the lucky women others love to hate. πŸ™‚

16 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. December 17, 2011 at 11:05 am

As much as I know it’s going to be a cheese-fest, I really want to see NYE – I’m planning on waiting a few weeks until it goes to the cheap theater. I love the big screen feeling, but this way it’s only $4!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..book-aholic.

17 Kellie December 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

“I really, really wanted to like this movie.” I think that was your first problem.

18 Lisa December 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I haven’t seen the movie but I did give birth in 3 hours…from first contraction to delivery. The second was a little longer at 3.5 hours!!

19 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

I enjoy eating alone sometime, especially with a book. πŸ™‚ It’s kind of nice to enjoy your own company in a restaurant every once in a while!

Thanks for the movie review—that’s what I’ve been hearing. Sigh. I really, really want to like it too!! But I didn’t like Valentines Day at all…
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..New Year’s Eve Recipes

20 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 18, 2011 at 9:28 am

I would have been very annoyed if they asked me to move tables, they should have sat you at a smaller table in the first place or just dealt with their mistake
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..It’s a Zoo Over Here!