more ยป" />

My Life Through Facebook

by Meghann on December 16, 2011

A few months ago Facebook introduced their latest ‘timeline’ profile concept to the web and invited a few Facebook users to test the new profiles out. I remember Katy writing a post about the new profiles and being halfway intrigued with the new concept. I liked the idea behind the timeline effect and being able to literally scroll through your life, but thought it made the overall profile look messy and confusing.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 2.16.01 PM.png

Then news about a general release of the timeline profiles sort of faded into the background. I had pretty much forgotten about them until I saw a friend randomly Facebook about being ‘so over’ the timeline profiles (he was on the early users invite list). That’s when I did a little research and discovered the launch was being delayed because a company called ‘Timeline’ was suing Facebook for copyright or trademark infringement.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 2.16.17 PM.png

And just when I had almost forgotten about the timeline profiles again, some buzz popped up earlier this week that the general launch was happening again. Now timeline profiles are set to go live Facebook-wide for everyone next week (Dec. 23), but you can upgrade early to get a feel before you’re forced to make the change

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 2.15.51 PM.png

The 7-day time window is also giving people a chance to..umm.. delete or hide any embarrassing things that might be on your Facebook page from through the years.

Like this beauty I found on my wall from 2005.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 2.50.56 PM.png

Hey, it was college. No comment.

I upgraded this morning and spent an embarrassing amount of time playing with the profile.

And you know what? I LOVE IT.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 10.57.00 AM.png

Reading my Facebook timeline was just like taking a stroll through memory lane. All of the inside jokes from college that I had forgotten about came rushing back to me like a ton of bricks. I laughed, I cried, and I yearned to immediately talk to all of my old friends. I miss them, I really do.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.09.09 AM.png

I even found the first wall post Derek left on my wall all the way back in 2005!

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.14.38 AM.png

(Long story short, we met in April 2005 briefly then reconnected in November 2005 at a bar and spent the whole night dancing. ‘Flippin’ Tuesdays’ thus became a weekly tradition for us.)

When I moved to Orlando

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 12.00.26 PM.png

My first 5k

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 12.11.07 PM.png

My first half marathon

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.53.03 AM.png

And PLENTY of posts that made me laugh out loud

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.17.12 AM.png

๐Ÿ™‚

The timeline is surprisingly easy to navigate too. You can look through each year’s activities in their entirety or see the highlights of the year grouped together.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.45.55 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 11.50.21 AM.png

HOURs. I wasted HOURS reading through the timeline.

I wasn’t sure I would be a fan of the new set-up, but I love it. Congratulations Facebook! You just gave everyone yet another excuse to get lost on your site for hours at a time. Good for you!

However, I do have one suggestion. Don’t go through your significant other’s timeline. It’s not worth having to question them on every drunken wall post someone has left over the last 7 years. Trust me.

But I did learn one thing.

Screen shot 2011-12-16 at 3.17.06 PM.png

Derek joined Facebook a full month before I did. I guess he’s more of an early adapter than he gives himself credit for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have you made the switch to the Facebook timeline profiles yet? What are your thoughts?

Oh! Food!

Leftover pizza and some steam-in-a-bag brussels sprouts I picked up at the store for lunch.

Nothing special, but it worked. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Ahahahah oh God. I recently got it too and was SO overwhelmed at first. I thought it was so disorganized and messy! Turns out it’s so fun to go through memory lane, even if those memories take me all the way back to the eighth grade. Who woulda thunk?
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Hehehe + Giveaway Winner

2 Meghann December 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Mine only goes back to sophomore year of college (2004). #IAMOLD

3 Evan Thomas December 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I just updated to timeline a few hours ago. I have to say on the whole I like how easy it is to navigate through the years. It’s fun to look back at when I first signed up(Oct. 15th, 2005) and who I was talking to then and what we were saying to one another. The layouts kind of confusing but isn’t that the way it always is when they release a new update?
Evan Thomas recently posted..Maple-Sriracha Lentils

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I really enjoy the timeline, too. I switched over awhile back, and find it so much easier and less cluttered than the current version. It was fun looking through old highlights as well.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Holiday Fluff

5 christine @ BookishlyB December 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Augh! I hate change! Is the “normal” stuff still there, and easy to find? Like curernt statuses and pictures? Is there still a normal newsfeed?
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..The Hungriest Week of My Life

6 Courtney December 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm

How do the privacy settings work? Hopefully they’re the same because I have plenty of family that are my Facebook “friends” and don’t want them to have 100% access, haha. If not, it’s to Google+ I go!
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: One Month In!

7 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I haven’t heard of the Facebook time line before this – guess I’m not cool enough. Can’t wait to check it out!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..I Eat the Same Thing

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

How do you update to timeline? That all sounds so interesting! hah.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On : Calf Raises

9 Cait's Plate December 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Aw I loved this post!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hot Cocoa Friday

10 Celia December 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

ohh! I need to check out my timeline…now I am curious. Didn’t realize there was going to be a mandatory change!!

11 Victoria December 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m in straight up panic mode. I’ve also had facebook since 2004 and I am freaking out about people reading my whole life story. Aaaah, it’s way too much information!!
Victoria recently posted..Flashing The Co-Workers

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I’ve used facebook less and less over the past 6 months but this has me intrigued now again! I joined in 2004 but had graduated college that year and didn’t really use it until 06 when I was already married so I have a feeling my timeline is going to be way more boring than yours ๐Ÿ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Rustic rosemary cheddar bacon biscuits

13 Sarah December 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I spent a couple hours going through my timeline yesterday (and deleting some real gems from college…) – so addicting. I AM glad I did a big FB purge after a bad breakup in 2005 – I really wouldn’t want to have to relive all those posts/pre-breakup pictures, etc again.
Sarah recently posted..Holiday Fun

14 Diana December 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm

That was friggen hilarious. I’m laughing out load in the back of a cab and I’m pretty sure my cab driver thinks I’m crazy…

15 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 16, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for the headup on FB timeline — it’s so interesting going back in those days, but I must admit it’s messiness ๐Ÿ˜€
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Warm Acorn Squash Salad

16 Kath December 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hmmm…can’t find the timeline upgrade either?
Kath recently posted..Presents Wrapped, Salad Wrapped

17 Meghann December 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I found it through Derek’s facebook page because he had already upgraded?

18 Allie December 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I just switched over and oh my, it is a bit confusing! Not sure that I love it yet but I can’t wait until I have time to scroll through memory lane!

19 Hillary December 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I just saw the timeline for the first time ever about a whopping five minutes ago. My first reaction was “WTF?” but I guess I could get used to it!
Hillary recently posted..Notes From The Week

20 Liz December 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I actually don’t use Facebook at all and have never had a page. I personally just see it as a waste of time… ๐Ÿ˜‰

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’ve had mine for a week or two (I got a preview as a “developer”) and I really like it. It is so weird to go back to January 2007 (when I first got Facebook) and see what I was talking about as a junior in high school.

Now that I’m a recent college graduate, it makes me feel old looking back that far! Haha!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..(Nearly) Wordless Wednesday #2

22 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

That looks pretty cool! I can’t wait to check it out!

23 Lorin December 17, 2011 at 12:14 am

I don’t like it at all. I feel like people will be able to see all the conversations I had with people from both past and present. I know it may be silly since it’s onlien and not very private but I feel like I should be able to choose if I want to post my entire timeline on facebook and for everyone to see when they come visit my profile.

24 SkinnyRunner December 17, 2011 at 1:58 am

ive never joined facebook. im hoping to get a gold medal for this in about 10 years.
SkinnyRunner recently posted..Before and After: Celebrity Chef

25 Katy Widrick December 17, 2011 at 6:26 am

I love being able to look back ๐Ÿ™‚

Although I’ m so glad Facebook wasn’t available when I was in college. That would have been very dangerous for future-adult-professional-Katy.
Katy Widrick recently posted..Five for Friday

26 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

I’m a tad scared for this timeline thing…sometimes you just don’t want to remember certain things, ya know? Luckily I joined facebook late so there aren’t too many things from college, but they weren’t my best years…oh well!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Turning It Around by Krista

27 Jess-ThatJessGal December 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Imagine my surprise to be catching up on your posts from the weekend and to see myself on your fbook page, turned blog page! I’m excited about timeline…and plan to play around with it this week!
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..Keeping It Real: Holiday Edition