more ยป" />

A Big Pot of Soup

by Meghann on December 15, 2011

As soon as I hit publish on this post I’ll be in the car and on my way to to my parents’ neck of the woods for the weekend. I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning and two bridal showers to attend over the weekend. Should be a good time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Usually when I go out of town – and Derek stays at home – I feel less guilty leaving the fridge full of good food and leftovers because I assume Derek will cook some fabulous meals while I’m gone and use up any remaining veggies or meat that I’ve left behind. That’s a good dream, but it’s rarely reality. Usually I come home and find empty bags of frozen Voila meals in the trash and all the veggies still right where I left them in the produce drawer.

This time, instead of leaving all of the veggies behind and crossing my fingers he’ll make something with them, I decided to take what ever food we had in the fridge and make one giant pot of soup with it. This way Derek has a couple of easy and healthy meals that he can just grab from the fridge while I’m gone and no food goes to waste.

And when I say I grabbed everything, I really meant everything.

• 6 mushrooms
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 cup baby lima beans
  • 1/2 container of carving board turkey
  • 1 can vegetable broth (that I refilled with water twice)
  • barley
  • oregano
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic salt
  • chili powder

When ever I cook with fresh vegetables I like to chop the ones that take the longest to cook first, add them to the pot, then work my way down to what takes the least amount of time.

9 times out of 10 the first vegetable is the carrot.

Then the onion

Then everything else.

I also like to do my first round of seasoning while the vegetables are ‘sweating’ in the pot before the broth is added. That way I know the vegetables are locking in a nice coat of extra flavoring.

The thicker cut of the carving board turkey was perfect for throwing into the soup. The addition sort of reminded me of a left over Thanksgiving soup. I’m pretty sure the only times I’ve ever had shreds of turkey in soup have been the week or so following Thanksgiving thanks to left overs.

After the turkey is added, in goes the broth.

IMG_3342.JPG IMG_3343.JPG IMG_3344.JPG

I used one can of broth that I refilled with water twice for a total of approximately 6 cups of liquid. Give or take.

Then I added about a cup of quick barley.

And seasoned with round two of seasonings.

The soup was brought to a boil, then to a medium-high for 10 minutes.

I loved it. The soup was easy to make, used up all of the vegetables in the fridge, and taste great. Win. Win. ๐Ÿ™‚

A piece of toast with homemade apple butter on the side.

A crumble cookie for dessert.

And now my belly is full. Time to hit the road!

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

That was sweet (and smart) of you to do for him!

Have a safe trip!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Why Greek Yogurt ? + Thankful Thursday

2 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Sounds (and looks) delicious! Have a great trip!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Finding Holiday Balance…

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

your soup looks delicious! i love how simple and tasty soups can be. hope you have a great trip!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Santa Visited Our House A Little Early!

4 Cait's Plate December 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I really need to make a big pot of soup – I’ve been craving it! Of course this weekend when I finally have the time now it’s supposed to warm up!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Live Life Upside-Down

5 christine @ BookishlyB December 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’ve never seen instant barley before! I love adding it to things but it can take awhile to cook. I’m going to have to look for this.
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..The Hungriest Week of My Life

6 Emily December 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Nice! Now no food will go to waste while you’re gone!
Emily recently posted..Annual appointments and NEW workouts!

7 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

What a great way to use up a bunch opf leftover produce!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Landscaping progress

8 Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk December 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Yum! I have a huge pot of minnestrone in the crock pot!! Cannot wait for dinner tonight!
Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk recently posted..Weekly Meal Plan 12/11/11-12/17/2011

9 Amanda December 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm

You’re such a nice girlfriend. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t go wrong with a giant pot of soup!
Amanda recently posted..Boston to Austin Food Blogger Gift Swap

10 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm

souuuuuup! have you ever heard the saying “that smells like soup” ….. random thought of the day.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Let Your Light Shine.

11 Army Amy* December 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I just have to say that it’s so sweet that you cook for Derek. I don’t normally cook for my husband unless he asks for my specialty (grilled cheese).*
Army Amy* recently posted..Into Thin Air in review

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

That sounds like a good soup! And how sweet Of you to do that for him! Now let’s just see if he eats it!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Circuit Training with Ashley!

13 Marissa Elliot December 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

is that deli turkey in the soup???? :/

14 Shannon December 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Awesome idea. I wish I had thought to do that since I’m leaving tomorrow for orlando then a pre-christmas cruise with my family. I was trying to use up a couple of the veggies today, but soup is the perfect solution!
Shannon recently posted..Guacamole

15 Allison December 18, 2011 at 8:30 am

I really need to just start dumping the things leftover in my fridge into the crock pot and making a random soup rather than letting them all sit there and spoil! I always feel so guilty for letting food go to waste but I’m not a big fan of leftovers :Z
Allison recently posted..O Christmas Tree