In Need of Happy Thoughts

by Meghann on December 14, 2011

It’s happening again.

My computer is moving as slow as molasses. Boo.

It’s one of those things where it starts to set in so slowly, that you don’t even notice how bad it is until it’s too late. It took me 45 minutes to semi-edit my photos today because the colorful wheel would spin a good 5 minutes after every photo. Something that used to happen in a instant, now requires a colorful spinning wheel. Not good.

When I purchased my Macbook Pro last year I doubled the harddrive to 500GB, but didn’t upgrade the RAM. It was a $$ upgrade and, at the time, I was already spending so much on the computer that I didn’t want to add onto it. HUGE MISTAKE because now the extra RAM is needed and it’s going to cost even more to order the extra part than if I had just had it custom added when I bought the machine. Dratz.

Lesson learn. If you order a Macbook just customize everything up front. Trust me.

I guess i know what I’ll be spending my Christmas money on now…

Gah.

Morning/early afternoon was spent cleaning out computer and preventing myself from throwing it against the wall.

Lunchtime was spent eating this:

First of all, the whole wheat seeded bread I picked up in the Publix bakery is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Second of all, I recommend eating it toasted with two scrambled eggs, fresh spinach, and salsa in the middle.

Jam works too, but I was in a salsa mood.

I needed a side dish and the only side dish worthy thing we have in the fridge right now is carrots, which is great, but I feel like that has been my go-to side item lately. Instead I went to the freezer and found a random package of steam fresh lime beans. I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever had lima beans that weren’t from a restaurant before, but I figured anything was worth trying once.

Hello, lima beans! Just like edamame, but a tad sweeter. I liked them! πŸ™‚

I also pulled out a container of diced pineapple in juice.

I’ve been in such a weird mood lately. Time to start thinking happy thoughts.

Share you happy thoughts with me! Maybe I can borrow some and this weird mood will fade away. πŸ™‚

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Here is a happy thought: you had an awesome, fast run this a.m.!!!

Another happy thought: holidays are upon us and that means FUN and FAMILY! woot!

Love a good egg sandwich!

i got ram for my b-day from my hubby (he’s so smart and sweet) for my macbookpro and it works like a charm. saaahhhweeet
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Speedy Sweaty Treadmill Interval Workout (#2)

2 Mai December 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Ram is actually super, super inexpensive, and super easy to install yourself (you can buy 2 gig sticks for just under 100$). Apple notoriously overcharges on RAM, so it’s always better to buy it with as little as possible and buy 3rd party. And no, contrary to what a lot of people will tell you installing your own RAM does not void the warranty.

Just wanted to let you know!

3 Dani December 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Totally agreed! I bought more ram for my macbook pro when it was 4 months old (this was about 3 months ago) on newegg.com and it cost a grand total of $50. Super inexpensive and I changed it myself, too. All you need is a teeny screw driver. It’s been running great ever since!

Highly suggest you go this route!

4 Krista December 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Umm….Christmas is right around the corner!! Fun with family, good food, & time off!

5 Cait's Plate December 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Boo sorry to hear that about your computer πŸ™ There’s nothing worse than technology woes. At least you had a delicious lunch to make up for it!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Steak It

6 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission December 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’m not a spammer or anything! Haha
But I recently upgraded my MacBook RAM for a really cheap. Just go to http://crucial.com
it scans your computer and makes it so easy!
Good luck! πŸ™‚
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..It’s Beginning to Cost a lot like Christmas

7 Meghann December 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Dawn!!
Meghann recently posted..In Need of Happy Thoughts

8 Emily December 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I agree with Mai and Dawn! Apple charges wayyyy too much to customize the memory. I just did this myself a couple of months ago. I think it was about 50 bucks for the extra memory and its so easy to install!

9 Diana December 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Go for a walk with Maddie!! It’s so nice out πŸ™‚

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Well one happy thought is that the weekend is almost here!! I’m counting down the days because I was traveling last weekend and didn’t get much time to relax, other than just sitting on my butt while driving up the highway! Also a happy thought – for you anyway: I’m about 99% sure it’s warmer in Florida than here in southern Ontario!!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 87

11 Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

As a computer expert I can only tell you that computers don’t suddenly get slower…… πŸ˜‰ The problem is likely that your hard disk is getting full and the computer has less space to write out temporary data when you run several apps at the same time (email, blog editing, web browser, image editing software etc.) Yes, if you have a large RAM it has more space to keep all that data in memory, needs to write out less and it seems faster, but if it did run fast in the beginning you would need to see if you can clean up your disk, purge temporary files, store stuff on an external drive or the ICloud and your problem could be solved without a lot of $$. But you are a web whiz, you probably know all this.

I would be cautious with having ‘some’ website scan your computer…..
Just my 5c.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Adventures in Nut Butters

12 CheezyK December 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I agree, a clean up and an external hard drive are probably all that are needed here (also, an external hard drive is a really good idea for backing up to anyway).
CheezyK recently posted..The Weekend that Wasn’t

13 Sana December 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Smile πŸ™‚ You are healthy and aliveee!
Sana recently posted..Plank Walk with Side Planks

14 Elisabeth December 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Drats on the computer! From my experience, always go for plenty of RAM (even if you upgrade after you buy it) – I don’t like to have less than 8GB personally πŸ˜‰ (and I’m not even a gamer)

15 Laura December 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm

My happy thought –

My photos from the half I ran on Sunday are up. Of course, I need them for my recap so I did a print to pdf so I can, um, use them, without, um, buying them. Instead of the water mark, a blue bar is put across the photo, but it doesn’t render them unusable for the recap. Then I realized that the bar is either over my crotch or my lower stomach (aka poochville). I’VE BEEN CENSORED!

I promise I was fully clothed in the race. It was 30 degrees. I had layers upon layers.
Laura recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

16 Laura December 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Also, apparently I should wear a different sportsbra. Things aren’t where they are supposed to be…
Laura recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

17 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Boo to the weird mood—I hate those! Happy thought: reading your blog makes me happy. πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Holiday Gift Giving Ideas

18 Gina December 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm

If you don’t want to spend money, try backing up your entire computer on an external hard drive and do a fresh install of MAC OS X. It should help.

19 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I spilled water on my computer and it’s off being fixed. I’m now using my old Dell from college… I cannot convey it’s slowness in words.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW – Finals Frenzy!

20 Jenny (@ Alimentable) December 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm

You can get RAM much cheaper than Apple. I just bought a new MacBook Pro last week, and ordered 8GB of RAM for $50 from Other World Computing.

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hope you get the computer issues sorted soon πŸ™

22 jen December 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm

have you ever thought of ordering ram from a 3rd party and installing it yourself? Its CHEAPER! I did that with my macbook in January.I ordered a new hard drive and RAM from newegg.com and googled instructions how to install it, and my computer works like a dream.
jen recently posted..Dinner Date Night – Mingle

23 Anne December 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Be happy, you’ve gained a new reader! I’ve really been enjoying your blog and you’ve inspired me to get my healthy habits back on track! Thanks!

24 Nikole December 14, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Happy thought : I felt my baby move for the first time yesterday. So cool! I hope your day gets brighter.

25 CheezyK December 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Happy thought, happy thought … for me the only thing that’s keeping me going at the moment is that I only have six more working days until the holidays! Oh, and today’s supposed to be warm for the first time in a while, which is nice seeing as it’s supposed to be summer here and all …
CheezyK recently posted..The Weekend that Wasn’t

26 Stephanie December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am in this really weird mood today as well. everything has been so off. i am not really sure why. i think it is post pardum blues of not being on vacation anymore, that is my story and i am sticking to it. haha. that bread looks amazing btw. also i am dealing with spinning wheel of death too. as per the computer issue and needing more ram, i think that aaron may know some websites on getting it cheap. he is always really good and knowledgable at that stuff. if you want send me an email of the details and i will forward it his way
Stephanie recently posted..Christmas in the City – We Need Your Help

27 Hillary December 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Happy thought: Elf is probably on at least one TV station tonight. A little Will Ferrell in an elf costume can’t help but make you giggle!
Hillary recently posted..Notes From The Week

28 Bianca December 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Here’s a happy thought! Meghann, I’ve been a longtime reader and this is my first time commenting. I just want to let you know that your healthy, balanced lifestyle has been hugely inspirational to me. Don’t let the computer get you down.

29 Meghann December 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

Thank you Bianca. That is a happy thought. πŸ™‚ Thanks for making me smile. πŸ™‚

30 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope December 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Apparently, it isn’t that difficult to upgrade the RAM in your macbook bc my fiancΓ© did it in mine. Bought it online for about $70. it’s so easy.
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Week 3 Half Marathon Training Recap

31 Shelley@ Salmon and Sandwiches December 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Going home for the holidays!!

32 Jessica December 14, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Whenever I feel blue I try making a mental list of all the things I’m grateful for/lucky to have:

You have a job you love (although the slow computer probably makes it a lot harder :()
A boyfriend you love
A supportive family
An adorable dog

etc πŸ™‚

Easier said than done, but often helpful

33 Kristen December 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Happy thoughts:

I look forward to reading your blog each day!

Christmas is only 11 days away πŸ™‚

34 Allison December 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm

It’s not necessarily a “happy thought,” but one of my students has been calling me Ms. Doodlebear all day and it’s putting a comical smile on my face πŸ˜›
Allison recently posted..Dancing Sequined Frogs