more ยป" />

Eggnog Oats

by Meghann on December 14, 2011

Man, did it feel good to run this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had 4x800s at a 10k pace on the schedule for today and woke up just ready to go. I’m still in limbo with the whole track situation (I fully intend to take advantage of the kids being out of of school over the holidays and using the off-limits-while-school-is-in-session-or-it’s-dark-outside track as much as possible starting next week), so the treadmill was the next best bet. I’ve tried doing speed work around my neighborhood, but am just not a fan. I don’t seem to push myself as much and the crosswalks result in too many stops. The treadmill works just fine for now.

I brought my headphones, turned on The Today Show, and started my warm up at 6.0 before increasing it to 6.5 after .25 miles. I ended my warmup at .5 and increased to 8.0 (7:30pace) for .5 then back to 6.5 (9:13pace) for a .25 rest. I repeated that 4 times and ended with a .75 cool down at 6.5 that brought me to an even 4 miles.

Final:

• Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 33:51
  • Avg Pace: 8:27

Sweet! ๐Ÿ™‚

Breakfast

Earlier this month Bolthouse Farms sent me a sample batch of their new Holiday Nog.

IMG_3215.jpg

Eggnog is usually hit or miss for me. I love the eggnog flavor, but usually can’t stand the texture. My stomach isn’t the biggest fan of drinks that have a milky consistency, which is why I don’t drink big glasses of milk, almond milk, coconut water, or any other liquid that’s thick and creamy.

So how do I take advantage of the eggnog flavor without drinking it straight up? Easy. I add it to my oats.

I substituted my usual 1/3 cup of milk with 1/3 cup of eggnog in my morning oats, which gave my oats a nice custardy extra cinnamony flavor. Yum.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup Bolthouse Farm Holiday Nog
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons egg whites
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • raisins

on top:

• apple
  • honey peanut butter
  • cinnamon
  • pumpkin spice granola

I also added some of the eggnog to my morning cup of black tea. Better than those flavored creamers if you ask me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Creating healthy holiday traditions for the whole family

Who says all holiday traditions should revolve around eating? This month I’m sharing tips and tricks on creating healthy holiday traditions that the whole family can enjoy on the Attune Food Blog!

Screen shot 2011-12-14 at 9.00.34 AM.png

Have you own tips?!

Join me today at noon EST/ 9amPST for this month’s #attune chat on Twitter! I’ll be hosting as we discuss healthifying the holidays! I hope to see you there! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

Yum! I made oats last week with the Silk Nog…tasty!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

2 Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk December 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

I LOVVVE Bolthouse drinks. I just guzzled down their Vanilla Chai Tea – AMAZINGGG! They’re a little pricey and can only be a once-in-a-while treat, but they will make their appearance in my fridge more often.

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

In my family, we try to take a trip to the West Side Market in Cleveland the day before to get some great veggies and local ingredients to use!! I think the more beautiful the vegetable, the more you eat!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Drunk and Blindfolded at Breakfast.

4 Caitlin C. December 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

What a cool idea! I have never been an eggnog fan but maybe I’d like it this way.
Caitlin C. recently posted..FitFluential Holiday Balance: 5 Tips!

5 Cait's Plate December 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Mmm – those oats look INCREDIBLE. I’m not an eggnog fan but I’d be willing to try those for sure.

I also worked out this morning and it also just felt awesome. It’s so nice when it just feels good to get out and do it rather than painful! Haha.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Traveling Breakfast

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

Good idea making oats with eggnog. I’m not a huge fan of the texture either. Way too thick for my liking but I love the flavor. Problem solved!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A taste of the tropics

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

I love the eggnog oats, what a good idea!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW โ€“ Finals Frenzy!

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 14, 2011 at 11:30 am

Eggnog in coffee is so much better than coffee with creamer! I’m glad it tasted good in oats, now I’m kind of curious how eggnog would taste in overnight oats ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Kitty on the Prowl

9 Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe December 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’m an egg-nog-aholic… In fact, I think I’ll go have some now… maybe not the best idea pre-run, but who knows?
Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday! (12/14/2011)

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I like eggnog if it is stuff–but def not alone. Too strong–and you’re right the texture is funky.

Nice job on the fast run!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Speedy Sweaty Treadmill Interval Workout (#2)

11 Krystina (Organically Me) December 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love eggnog in coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Binging Chronicles: The First Binge

12 Amanda December 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Eggnog oats sound fabulous! Of course, I like eggnog in any form. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Cake Loaf & Puppyโ€™s Name

13 Biz December 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I loved eggnog, until I went to a party where the hostess was making it from scratch and after she cracked the 12th egg my stomach started to get all queasy – ew!

Glad you got a good run in!
Biz recently posted..I Let Him Sleep With Me

14 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love that your finding holiday traditions that don’t involve eating! Every year we cut down our own Christmas tree and decorate it. We drive around and look at Christmas lights, and we do fun things with the kids – like a ride on the Polar Express.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Ice Cream Makes Everything Better

15 Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

So last week when I was in FL, I did my track workout on the road with my Garmin set to show me half mile splits. I figured it was basically as flat as a track. (thank you, Florida)
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Impromptu Half Marathon and Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies

16 Meghann December 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

That’s Florida for ya! A lot of people in Tampa like to do their speed work on Bayshore because it’s a straight shot of flat sidewalk with no need to pause for lights or turns for 2+ miles. Unfortunately I’m about 20 minutes from there and live in a neighborhood with lots of stop signs and pauses.

17 Calvin December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

This is one of the best Eggnog recipes I’ve ever run across!
Calvin recently posted..Wednesday โ€œWinโ€spiration โ€“ Temptations Edition

18 Army Amy* December 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Egg big kind of freaks me out. Something about drinking egg…I just can’t get over it.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Peppermint Bark

19 Cheryl December 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

So creative! And it looks so festive (and delicious) in that mug. I just might have to give it a try. I’m thinking of buying the eggnog-flavored soy milk, because it’s a texture thing for me too, I’m afraid!