Secrets to the black bean burger

by Meghann on December 13, 2011

Success!

After a few failed attempts, I think I’ve finally discovered a couple of secrets to making fabulous black bean burgers!

1. Add the veggies to the food processor before the beans.

IMG_3189.jpg

In the processor went one carrot, 1/4 of a red onion, and six olives. I gave it a few whirls on ‘chop’ then I added one can of black beans, two heaping spoonfuls of flax seed, salt and pepper, oregano, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce.

IMG_3193.jpg

Giving the veggies a go in the food processor first really gave them a chance to chop nice and thin, so they easily blended with the black beans. The end result was a little drier and held together better than previous bean burgers that had large chunks in them.

2. Bake the bean burgers at 420 for 10 minutes then broil for 5 minutes on each side.

Baking the bean burgers allowed the middle of the burger to get nice and hot and broiling them gave the burgers a nice crispy crust.

The results were fabulous. Probably one of my black bean burger yet thanks to to the consistency and crust. πŸ™‚

3. Pair the burger with rutabaga fries.

The rutabaga fries baked at 420 for 20 minutes. They were amazing as well. πŸ™‚

What are your secrets to a good black bean burger?

My afternoon snack was a lemon Chobani with some Uncle Sam Honey Almond.

Dessert was a serving of pumpkin pie ice cream.

You can definitely tell when Derek isn’t a fan of a certain ice cream because he doesn’t touch it and it last longer than a week in the house. I like to take my time with ice cream and enjoy just a small serving at time, savoring every bite. I’ve been working on this 1/2 gallon since the middle of November. mmmm….. pumpkin pie ice cream. Yum. πŸ™‚

Time for bed.

Good Night!!

1 Lindsey December 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Love black bean burgers! I will try your secret method next time πŸ˜‰ I sometimes puree the beans to much and the mixture is too mushy.
Lindsey recently posted..What I’ve Been Eating…

2 Stephanie @ On the Road to RD December 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Mmmmm those burgers look delish!
Stephanie @ On the Road to RD recently posted..Q&A: Juice for Fruits and Vegetables

3 Melina December 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I have wanted to try my hand at the Black Bean Burger for so long! I’m glad I came across this post! Oh and those rutabaga fries look good! What seasoning did you use on those?
Melina recently posted..Picky Girl Eats: Oatmeal

4 Meg at runridelove.com December 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I love bean burgers but have never tried them at home…looks like I’ll have to give these a shot!
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Bike Maintenance for Beginners

5 Sana December 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Men are so picky with the things they like and don’t like!
Sana recently posted..What is life like without exercise?

6 Diana December 13, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the black bean burger recipe! I love these types of posts. I’ll prob make it tomorrow now!

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I keep wanting to make rutabaga fries, but I always forget about it!!! And no way that ice cream would have lasted that long in my freezer…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..A Weight Training Myth – Guest Post

8 emily December 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I put buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese in my black bean burgers to make them awesome.
emily recently posted..Hello, Old Friend

9 Allie December 13, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I love a good black bean burger!! I cook my black bean burgers on the stove versus the oven but I will have to try your recipe next time!

How do you make rutabaga fries?
Allie recently posted..I’m Making My List and Checking It Twice

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

i too love black bean burgers–thanks for the secrets, mine always crumble on me!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Spiced Candied Nuts

11 Ariel @ AriTiana December 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I’ve never had a black bean burger but it Looked delicious! As did that pumpkin pie ice-cream πŸ™‚

12 Krystina December 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm

My tip is to add a binder – brown rice, quinoa, potato, egg so that it will stay together better and have a heartier texture.
Krystina recently posted..Things My Cat Does: Cabinet Sleeper

13 Kate December 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

I can’t make ice cream last more than a few days to save my life, even when I’m the only one eating it. I had some pumpkin ice cream that barely got to spend the night in the freezer before I devoured it πŸ™‚
Kate recently posted..Make Room for Santa 5k

14 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 14, 2011 at 3:05 am

The lemon chobani is SO. GOOD. I love that it has little pieces of lemon (uhhh rind?) in it.

The black bean burgers here are really. really. bad. Send me yours? Kayperf.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Five Steps to Stay Fitfluential During the Holidays!

15 Lorin December 14, 2011 at 3:12 am

I know you’ve probably said this before, but where do you get your online calendar to make up your training plan? I want to start writing out a calendar to have for my next quarter to fit in exercise, thanks!

16 Corey @ Learning Patience December 14, 2011 at 6:32 am

I actually use flax seed meal and water first — its makes a paste like consistency – which holds the burger together. Here is the best recipe I have – so freaking good…my husband LOVES them!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Hump Day – Hot Yoga – Woo Hoo NYC

17 Hillary December 14, 2011 at 7:03 am

I like adding some chopped jalapenos to mine, and some cumin and chili powder, too. Like a bowl of chili in burger form!

18 Megan @ bump on a log learns to jog December 14, 2011 at 7:49 am

I love blackbean burgers! I found a recipe that I really like which has green bell peppers, onions, chili powder, hot sauce and cumin for extra flavor.
They turn out great every time and I always use the leftovers in salads
Megan @ bump on a log learns to jog recently posted..Running Outside Brrrr

19 Hope December 14, 2011 at 7:53 am

I really like black bean burgers. I’ve never tried making them before. I don’t have a food processor or blender so it would be kind of hard to make them without it. Once I do get one of those things, you can be sure I am trying your recipe! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken…

20 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 14, 2011 at 8:14 am

I don’t eat meat, but I’m not a black bean burger fan…not sure why.

I love pumpkin ice cream. My husband isn’t a fan of it either. Which I thought was a good thing at first, but now I’m not so sure because I have to eat all of it!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

21 Courtney December 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

I’ve never had a black bean burger but this recipe looks super easy; I’ll have to try it! Thanks πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

22 Cait's Plate December 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

I do always admire your black bean burgers! They always look so incredible delicious!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Traveling Breakfast

23 Amanda December 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

I mash the beans with a fork, add the veggies (carrot, onion, celery) after they’ve been partially sauteed, and add in whole wheat bread crumbs to hold it all together. Amazing!!!

24 cassidy hogan December 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love BB Burgers! My trick is to chop veggies first, remove and wrap in paper towels and ring out all of the moisture. I then add the black beans and everything else. They come out perfect every time! Here is my recipe if you are so inclined πŸ™‚ http://theframe.org/amodernheraldry/?p=66

25 Heather (Where's the Beach) December 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Agreed – I always add my veggies into the processor first. Sometimes I like to add in zucchini or squash too. I like to try to include some whole oats as well just for added texture and appearance. I typically bake mine at around 375. The last time I made them I added in half a package of silken tofu and omitted the flax egg. They actually stuck together better.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..I’m a Fuddy Dud but I Went to a Burger Joint – Big Orange Review