Full of Holiday Cheer

by Meghann on December 12, 2011

Happy Monday everyone!

How was your weekend? Mine was full of holiday cheer. 🙂

I’d say it was a good weekend. 🙂

This morning I was up early for a session of New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 5A at the gym. I took a few commenters’ advice and decided to cut the rest times in between each set from 120 seconds to 60 seconds. This brought last week’s 75 minute workout down to 55 minutes. The 4 sets still made the workout drag a bit, but shaving 60 seconds off each rest time made a noticeable difference in the not-as-bored-while-waiting-around department.

Post-gym breakfast was a good ole bowl of cereal with greek yogurt.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Life Cereal
  • 1/2 cup Erewhon Mixed Berries Brown Rice Crispies
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam’s Honey Almond
  • 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Defrosted Frozen Cherries (I need to run to the store to pick up fresh fruit)
  • Walnuts

The walnuts were a last minute addition that really made this bowl of cereal pop. I’m not sure why I haven’t added them before, but they gave a nice crunch to every other bite that the cereal would have been missing otherwise. 🙂

Check it out!

Last week I wrote a guest post for Amanda at Run to the Finish on Transitioning from Running to Tris with what I did wrong and what I did right on my road to finally becoming a triathlete. Check it out here.

Did you know Tampa was voted as one of the saddest cities in America?! Well, that is just sad! This might not be the place I want to live forever, but I’d say it’s a pretty happy place to live. How could you go wrong with a city where a beach is only a stone’s throw (or 30 minutes) away?

Happy last week of the semester to all my teacher and student friends! Woo hoo!

1 RunEatRepeat December 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

Why is Tampa so sad?! I wouldn’t mind living there…
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Hilly Holiday Half Marathon

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 12, 2011 at 10:23 am

Is the Tampa thing based on the foreclosure rate? Or just in general? I liked it!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Ten-Thousand Dollars In IOU’s.

3 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

Great article on transitioning to tri’s. I’m a marathoner that is thinking about trying some tri’s next summer so thanks for the advice!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..In the Dark

4 cathy December 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

i loved tampa when i visited in the summer of 2010! i stayed in a great hotel by the airport, LOVED the mall (international mall, i think it was??) right down the road, the downtown, the beaches close by…i’d move if i could (i’m canadian!).
cathy recently posted..new experience #37: watch “a charlie brown christmas”

5 Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 12, 2011 at 10:30 am

Toronto was just recently voted as the most hated city in Canada 🙁
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Comment on Age Is Just A Number … Right? by Morgan @ Life After Bagels

6 Lindsey December 12, 2011 at 10:55 am

I visit a friend of mine in Tampa once or twice a year to escape from Philly winters, stalk baseball players during Spring Training, and participate in the Gasparilla races. Its fun to visit and all but I’m usually happy to come home. Everything seems really spread out and very good neighborhood/bad neighborhood/good/bad/good by block. The spread out is probably just proper urban planning which we don’t have up in the Northeast. I will say that there seems to be way more mom/pop/ small and healthy restuarants type places in Tampa, St.Pete, Clearwater and I wish that Publix would come north!
Lindsey recently posted..……Clearly an Athlete

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 12, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love it when I add something new that really makes a difference in my meals! Slowly learning!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Guest Post: Laura’s Homemade Chocolates!

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 12, 2011 at 11:12 am

I can think of a lot sadder places than Tampa. Hopewell Junction, NY would be one…get me out!!!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Broccoli rabe & sundried tomato pasta bake

9 Cait's Plate December 12, 2011 at 11:12 am

I can’t believe that! I feel like it would definitely be one of the happier places to live!! Especially with your proximity to water and Disney!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Oats & Yogurt

10 Kim December 12, 2011 at 11:40 am

I’m sure I can come up with a lot of places that are more sad than Tampa. I wonder how they determined that? I can’t imagine anywhere in Florida being considered sad. 🙂
Kim recently posted..Make a list Monday

11 Liz December 12, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m so glad today’s lift was better than last week! Did you feel like cutting the rest time in half worked your muscles harder too?
Liz recently posted..My First 5k and Runner’s High

12 Meghann December 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hmm.. I’m not sure. I’d say it felt the same?

13 Hilary December 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Lived in tampa for a year and st Pete now and love em both! St Pete is #1… Crazy!

14 Michelle December 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I would think Seattle would be near the top of that list. Grey and rainy.
Michelle recently posted..12 Dates of Christmas–Date #6 (Mannheim Christmas Market)

15 Hillary December 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Correction:

Last week of the semester in graduate school, but at my teaching job, we still have another FULL week after this one! GAH!
Hillary recently posted..Notes From The Week

16 Meghann December 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Ouch! Schools around here have off starting next week. That’s crazy that they have the kids where you’re at going to school right up until Christmas eve. When do they start back in January?

17 Hillary December 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

It’s the worst. We don’t get out until the end of the day on the 23rd and we return on Monday, January 2nd. BOOOOOOO!
Hillary recently posted..Notes From The Week

18 Meghann December 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Wait, that only gives you guys one week. I thought schools usually get a two week break over Christmas?

19 Hillary December 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

We usually get anywhere from 9-12 days, depending on where Christmas and New Year’s fall. This year, we just happen to get the crap end of the stick, since both fall on the weekend! The only upside is it means we get out earlier in June ; )
Hillary recently posted..Notes From The Week

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Uhhhh Tampa seems like a nice place to live–that’s craziness?!

I LOVE lifting on Mondays–gets the week started on a nice foot 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..No Bad Foods

21 Allison December 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Your yogurt bowl reminds me that I need to buy some frozen berries! I love tossing them into a hot bowl of oats 😀
Allison recently posted..Do, Did, Do, Done

22 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I love all of the holiday cheer these days! Makes me want to watch Christmas movies, nonstop!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Monday things

23 Shannon @ Mon Amour December 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I loved reading your guest post. I am going to start doing triathlons this summer and your advice was really helpful. I would definitely be happy living so close to the beach!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Say It, Do It

24 Megan December 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Ehhh… I live in St. Pete and definitely agree with it being the saddest city and Tampa being #3. It may be livable at this very moment, but there are months upon months of oppressive heat and humidity to the point where it’s not even pleasant to go outside. Being an outdoorsy person, I find that aspect very depressing. In the cold months up north, it’s really easy to just add an extra layer or two and be good to go, but with the heat, there isn’t much that can be done. I also find the lack of seasons to be a little sad.

25 Nicole December 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

That’s so weird that Tampa is voted one of the saddest cities. It’s sunny and it seems like there is so much to do! Very weird.
Nicole recently posted..Shredded