Christmas Stockings

by Meghann on December 12, 2011

Our little christmas corner just got a whole lot cheerier.

The custom christmas stockings I ordered off of Etsy just arrived today!

I’ve been searching for blue snowflake-themed stockings for awhile now, but haven’t been very successful finding exactly what I wanted. Last month I was shopping on Etsy for a present for someone else when these popped up and I knew I had to order.

IMG_3146.jpg

The seller Jess was great to work with and did a beautiful job handcrafting the custom quilt stockings. My only critique would be that the white names are a little hard to read against the busy fabric. I should have requested black, but that was my error.

Now it really feels like Christmas. πŸ™‚

Of course, I can’t compete with my mom’s stocking display.

Maybe one day I’ll have a fireplace to hang my stockings on, but for now that wall works just fine πŸ˜‰

Does your family hang stockings at Christmas time? Are they the traditional red and white or a fun pattern? πŸ™‚

Dinner was awesome tonight.

I got a little carried away at Publix and bought everything that even looked remotely good (shopping while hungry = bad idea). The grab-every-thing-in-sight shopping spree included a fresh multigrain baguette and the idea to use the baguette as a bun for a veggie-d italian sausage hoagie.

Into the skilled went the chicken italian sausage, zucchini, red onion, and fresh mushrooms.

Once the sausage was brown on the outside, I coated it all with some marinara sauce and let it simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes.

The sausage and veggies filled a portion of the baguette and was covered with a generous handful of cheese.

A-ma-zing. I loved sneaking the extra veggies in with the meat and you really can’t go wrong with sausage and red sauce in a bun. Not at all.

I’ll just call this my grown up version of the sausage hoagies my dad used to make me as a kid. You see, I hated spaghetti growing up (and still do), so when ever spaghetti was on the menu for dinner my dad would buy a hoagie and add italian sausage to the sauce. When dinner was ready, he would build an italian sausage hoagie for me to eat while everyone else had spaghetti. Yep, my dad spoiled us. Big time. But that’s why we love him πŸ™‚

I steamed some green beans to round out the plate.

Told ya. Awesome. πŸ™‚

Afternoon snacks:

IMG_3110.JPG IMG_3111.JPG

Dessert was a chocolate favor from the christmas party on Friday night.

It looked like dark chocolate, but tasted like milk chocolate. It was extra sweet and sugary.

I’m off to put a fireplace screensaver up on the tv and pretend my new stockings are hanging above a fireplace.

Good Night!

1 Sana December 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Aww, the stocking look great even if you can’t see the names super well. i <3 Etsy!
Sana recently posted..Sigh.

2 Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle December 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Cute stockings! We just got new ones for our new house, they look candy cane like but with some green glitter too. We also have ours on the wall. I wish we had a fireplace for them. I absolutely love that you are putting a fireplace image on the tv! Ha!! That’s great. I’m pretty sure there was some news station on a couple years ago that had just a fireplace showing and music playing for HOURS. Loved it.

3 Meg at runridelove.com December 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm

The stockings are so cute! I wish we had christmas decorations set up at my house, but we haven’t had time! It’s really messing with my christmas spirit!
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Regularly Scheduled Blogging

4 kathleen @ the daily crumb December 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm

what a yummy dinner idea!

my family is VERY into stockings… they are my favorite part of christmas morning!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..catching up.

5 Sabrina December 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Those stockings are adorable! I LOVE Etsy! We used to have traditional red stockings, but now that everyone is older my mom puts our goodies in something “useful” every year. Last year was small laundry baskets. πŸ™‚
Sabrina recently posted..Gingerbread Smoothie

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm

We have five different stockings that my mom managed to collect over the years, all Christmas themed but all different!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Guest Post: Laura’s Homemade Chocolates!

7 wymberley December 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I encourage you to learn to sew. It would be super easy to make those stockings! Or you could just keep them forever and flip them and get black embroidery on the other side.
wymberley recently posted..I’m Relapsed Into Spinn

8 Nicole December 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Those stockings are adorable! I love them. I need new ones but I think I’ve waited too long. πŸ™
The hoagie looks awesome! I’m adding that to my recipe list for next week!
Nicole recently posted..Shredded

9 LKH December 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

The stockings are so cute! I love that they aren’t the typical red and white. My family has stockings for decorations but we never put anything in them for some reason! When I was little Santa would put our stocking stuffer type gifts on the couch instead.

I’m thinking about ordering NROLFW and I was hoping for some guidance, does the book explain how to do each exercise or do you need to already have that knowledge? The names seem so intimidating because I don’t know what any of them mean without google!

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 12, 2011 at 11:14 pm

That dinner looks delicious! We had pretty traditional red stocking growing up but now I like the look of fun, customized ones like you got.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Broccoli rabe & sundried tomato pasta bake

11 J December 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I hate spaghetti too. I can eat other pasta noodles, just not spaghetti. Blech.

12 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 13, 2011 at 12:15 am

What a cute post. πŸ™‚ The stockings look great—very festive!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Holiday Gift Giving Ideas

13 Kat @ Balance & Spice December 13, 2011 at 1:30 am

I love my family stockings. Everyone has a different one that was needlepointed – a golden retriever, a santa train, etc. It was so special.
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..How to Pack Carry-on for a long flight

14 Khushboo December 13, 2011 at 1:39 am

I love spaghetti but I wouldn’t mind trading up a bowl for a hoagie- this looks excellent!

15 Liz December 13, 2011 at 3:28 am

I’m sad that you hate spaghetti…it’s my favorite food (if it’s homemade). Do you like other shapes of pasta?

16 Meghann December 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m generally not a pasta fan. I’ll eat the tube pasta, but it’s not always my first choice.

17 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance December 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

I used to hang stockings when I was little, but phased out of it as I grew up. What a sad, sad, realization.

I think I’m about to go let my family know about the stockings you found on Etzy 8)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Neutering & How I Work Out

18 Joy December 13, 2011 at 6:32 am

We are totally stocking hanging people! At our old house we hung them on the stairs behind the tree – this summer hubster and I bought a single story house and I was horrified that I would have no place to hang the stockings (yup I thought about this in July) but as we were putting up the tree realized how nicely they could hang from the chair rail, I’m much happier now πŸ™‚ we have pretty customized stockings with our names on them. They’re all different and of COURSE the poodle has the biggest one (he gets the most stuff)

19 Emily December 13, 2011 at 7:43 am

I think the stockings are AMAZING – however less amazing than mine…;-) I think she did a great job. Your sandwich looks delicious as well!
Emily recently posted..After being away…

20 Hope December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love the stockings! They look great! πŸ™‚ The sandwich looks really tasty too!
Hope recently posted..A Trip To The Anderson Show!…

21 Cait's Plate December 13, 2011 at 8:38 am

LOVE the stockings! Etsy really is the best place ever. I’m definitely getting a lot of my Christmas shopping done there this year!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Snow Globe

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 13, 2011 at 8:55 am

CUTE stockings!!!!

23 Sarah S. December 13, 2011 at 9:02 am

Love your stockings, Etsy is the best. My husband and I have plain green and red ones and our two little guys have fun ones with cars and trains and stuff. I got them from Pottery Barn.

24 Allison December 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

We had almost the exact same dinner! Just swaped mushrooms for eggplant and had it over pasta. Yum!

25 Lacey @ Lake Life December 13, 2011 at 10:30 am

AWKWARD blank stocking! (Or does it say “Maddie” somewhere that I can’t see?)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Red Velvet Cake Pops

26 Meghann December 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

It says Maddie. I’m going to take them somewhere and have the stitching redone in black πŸ™

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 13, 2011 at 10:30 am

We always hang stockings in my family and we’re big with stocking stuffers as presents. Some times the stockings are more fun to open than the actual presents!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Extreme Snow Running

28 Sarah @ See Sarah Eat December 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Very cute stockings! We recently bought a place with a fireplace so we got to hang our stockings this year so maybe next year, we’ll get some new pretty stockings πŸ™‚
Sarah @ See Sarah Eat recently posted..November goal review and December goal setting

29 Christina December 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Your stockings look great!!

We currently hang our stockings on the bluray case.. no fireplace at the apartment. My hubby has a Frosty the snowman one and I have Rudolf (his nose lights up!)
Christina recently posted..Everyone Starts Somewhere