Holiday Cards

by Meghann on December 9, 2011

Same salad. Different day. Different preparation.

I didn’t realize how much I’d miss bread until it wasn’t an option in the house. I don’t eat that much of it, but when it’s not there, it’s all I want. What I really need to do is start making some sort of whole-grain on Sunday night, so I have an easy whole-grain option to grab through the week. My lunches typically take less than 10 minutes to construct and I don’t have the patience for anything beyond things that are quick and easy to grab.

For now, salads just work with what I already have on hand.

Today’s salad was a warm salad. I heated up some carrot, green beans, zucchini, and black beans in a small skillet for 5 minutes before moving them to a bed of spinach with walnuts and hummus.

I love the way hummus sort of melts and spreads on warm veggies. The walnuts added a nice crunch. Much better than the cold salad from yesterday. πŸ™‚

Happy Holidays! :)

Last night Derek and I finally got around to addressing the holiday cards we ordered via Zazzle last month (FYI: we purchased the cards during a cyber Monday 50% off deal and are both really impressed with the thick postcard-like quality of the cards. Zazzle does a great job with cards if you’re looking for some on the cheap).

This will be my first year sending holiday cards out to friends and family and definitely my first year sending them with a boy. I wasn’t planning on sending them, but the topic of holiday cards came up in conversation right after Thanksgiving and we both thought it would be fun to send some. Plus, both of our grandparents are a little behind in technology, so I’m sure they’d appreciate an updated picture of the two of us that doesn’t involve email or Facebook (they’re not fans of the ‘we’ll email it to you’ way of sharing).

IMG_2841.jpg

My sister and her fiance begin sending holiday cards together well before they were engaged and I’ve received cards in the past from friends who were ‘living in sin’ with their significant others at the time. Even though Derek and I are not presently engaged or married, we’re still fully committed to each other and sending holiday cards just felt like the next logical and natural step. I even talked about framing one because we both loved the way they came out so much and Derek suggested labeling it ‘our first Christmas together.’ (meaning living under the same roof) I know, we’re both sentimental cheese balls, but it works for us. πŸ˜‰

When did you send out your first holiday card with a significant other? Were you dating? Living together? Engaged? Married?

(also, anyone else have flashbacks of Ross and Mona from Friends when they talk about holiday cards? πŸ˜‰ )

1 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy December 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

They are very cute! I think anyone who receives one should feel lucky. πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..Morning Sweat

2 Rachel December 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Eric and I started sending out holiday cards together after we moved in together. I love sending and receiving cards year round, not just at the holidays.

3 Lindsey December 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Love the cards! We started doing photo holiday cards 2 years ago through Mixbook. We started the photo ones once we were engaged but sent general holiday cards out together for quite a few years before that.
I love cooking up a large batch of quinoa on Sunday’ for the week – easy supper side or great on salads πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Cookies & Chocolate

4 Heather December 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm

we didn’t do cards until we were married…but also our wedding was 1st weekend of January so Nov/dec/ were slightly hectic anyway and we were sending out wedding invitations!

OMG I forgot about that episode of friends. so funny
Heather recently posted..Get Healthy, Starting NOW!

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Just got married–so prob next year we’ll do cards. CUTE pic!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Fitness and Food Survey

6 Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life December 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

My husband and I got married in June and I was all psyched to send out our first Christmas Cards this year, but he wants to put it off as many years as possible. He says “There’s no turning back” and even though we haven’t done them yet, it’s not too late, right? I’m going to keep pushing!
Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life recently posted..Failed Goals

7 Anne December 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

We didn’t send out nice ones like that until we were engaged. I sent out pretty or funny ones, and maybe signed my husband’s name if it was to people whom he knew.

I get my 2011 Christmas cards today. I’m excited for them!
Anne recently posted..And It Begins

8 Holly December 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm

We were married, but photo Christmas cards weren’t popular before then (2000). Yup, I totally just dated myself. HA! I doubt I’m going to get cards out before Christmas this year so I’m planning New Year’s cards instead- less pressure on myself during my busiest season at work. Love your card!
Holly recently posted..Fuzzy Wuzzy

9 julie @ peanut butter fingers December 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm

we didn’t do christmas cards until we were actually married (so last year was a first for us!). aaaand this post reminded me to get on it this year!
julie @ peanut butter fingers recently posted..Help Make a Christmas Wish Come True

10 Courtney December 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Cute cards! πŸ™‚ I love the photo of you two!
Courtney recently posted..Finals Week–Oh No!

11 Sarah S. December 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Super cute card! We didn’t do them until after we were married. I love giving/receiving holiday cards, it’s always an easy way to catch up with friends we don’t get to see often.

12 Megan @ bump on a log learns to jog December 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Cute card! Matt and I sent out our first holiday card when we were dating. We had been together for almost 4 years at that point. This year we decided not to send out christmas cards because we just sent out our save the dates for our wedding in May!
Megan @ bump on a log learns to jog recently posted..So that’s what december is supposed to feel like

13 Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk December 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This is the first year I’ve sent cards out and i t’s with a boy. Some of our family doesn’t know we live together but we signed the cards from both of us. I also normally don’t decorate for Christmas bc I don’t spend it at my house, but he insisted on putting a tree and stockings up. We did last night and it was such a special time.
Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk recently posted..Perfect Iced Coffee

14 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas December 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Wait are you not able to eat bread anymore? Or are you just out? Because if it’s the latter you can just buy some and your problems will be solved πŸ™‚ You’re welcome.
Adorable holiday card!!
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Three Things Thursday: Sore Muscles, Swimming and Stress

15 Meghann December 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I can still eat bread! We just don’t have any in the house. No rolls, no tortillas, no slices, nothin. I had just forgotten we were out of bread when I went to make lunch and was too lazy to go buy some. I have a really bad habit of waiting until my stomach is growling to make something to eat. πŸ™‚

16 Ashley December 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

We didn’t send out holiday cards until we were married. But we got married the summer after I graduated from college, so I didn’t really feel a need or desire to send them out before then. We didn’t live together until we were married (but had been dating for 6 years before getting married).

BUT I think if you want to send out holiday cards even though you’re not married, who cares, right? The cards are cute! I really need to finish ours…
Ashley recently posted..a day in the life – amy

17 Elisabeth December 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm

The cards came out super adorable! I love Zazzle πŸ™‚

18 Christina @ Just Running December 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

“Our first Christmas together” could mean your first Christmas under the same roof, or maybe Derek is dropping you a hint!

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Cute! I still live at home, and my mom is trying to get all of the kids together to take a picture. I tried to convince her that past a certain age, no one wants to see pictures of us anymore… I think we’re going to put a picture of my bird on the card instead, since he’s the cutest member of our family πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Celebration

20 Joy December 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

When we got the dog
Joy recently posted..Friday fill ins

21 Army Amy* December 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm

The cards are cute! My husband and I were engaged but not yet married the first time we sent out holiday cards.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Pumped Up Kicks

22 erica December 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm

we sent our first xmas card out together last year after we moved in to our new place & got our dog…but the picture on the card was just of our dog πŸ™‚ and we only sent it to our friends and a few family…lol.

this year, since we’re now married the card includes pictures of us and the dog…and got sent to a whole slew of people, since now we’re an “official” family. lol.
erica recently posted..the holidays…bring it on!

23 The Linz (Beyond Destination 26.2) December 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

We just got married in July, and used some of our wedding pictures for our Christmas card. This was our first year doing Christmas cards, but since we have recently moved far away from both our families seemed more important of thing to do this year.

24 CaitlinHTP December 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Aw so cute. I love your cards. I don’t think you have to be married or engaged to send out cards… You are committed and live together and you can do whatever you want! That being said, we have never sent out cards because we just can’t organize ourselves to do so. But I bet the baby will motivate me next year!
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Random Thoughts and Mini-Meals

25 Krystina December 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Cute cards! I wish I could get my boyfriend to do that. πŸ˜‰

Why can’t you buy bread?

26 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous December 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

We sent out holiday cards the first holiday season we were living together (had been dating about 2.5 years).

The next holiday season we sent them we had just gotten engaged.

And this year is our first year sending cards as a married couple!

27 Shannon December 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love that episode of friends! Hilarious. Almost as good as Elaine’s christmas cards with her nipple expose….and everyone called her “nip” classics.

I’m so over salads! I don’t know if it’s my mood or the time of year, but salads seem to be the last thing on my craving list.

Adorable cards…although maddie should have made an appearance!
Shannon recently posted..Christmas Covers

28 Lara December 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Haha I actually hate holiday cards. My parents always made us take a picture and we all hated it and they sent it out to hundreds of people! So even though I would do a holiday card with my boyfriend (we live “in sin” too), I don’t think we will be sending them until we have kids.

29 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm

LOL – that episode was on not too long ago! We started sending them after we were married, but we weren’t living together before then (I was in college still) so it didn’t make sense to do it before then.

You cards are really cute! I love that picture of the 2 of you!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..rockin’ it

30 Bri December 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm

We didn’t send out holiday cards until we were married. That said, we got engaged very young and the thought of sending out our own cards wouldn’t have occurred to me at that age. I don’t think it’s a big deal either way–it’s a really nice tradition/gesture no matter when or how you do it–but I loved that our first holiday card featured our favorite wedding photo. πŸ™‚

31 Lauren December 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Your holiday card is sooo cute! We didn’t do one this year and now I’m super jealous. πŸ˜€
Lauren recently posted..Make your hair feel like a million bucks, for less than $20!

32 Amy December 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

We sent cards together beginning last year when we were engaged. It worked out great; last year we sent one with an engagement picture, and this one we went one with a wedding picture! I don’t know what we’re going to do next year (no, there won’t be a baby picture just yet!)

33 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Love your cards! I think my husband and I started sending out cards together once were engaged.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Snow Sucks

34 Shana December 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm

The cheesy smile on your bf’s face makes me think you’re secretly grabbing his junk. Lol.

35 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your cards are too cute! No Christmas cards for me, I’ve never been anywhere serious enough with a guy for that!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Study Snacks!!!

36 Laura December 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’ve never actually seen a Christmas card with a photo of the sender on it. Is it mostly an American thing? (New Zealander). Some of my extended family print “family newsletters” and include them with the card, though.

37 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Those are adorable. You look so pretty and Derek looks quite handsome πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Holiday Gift Giving Ideas

38 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair December 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm

We sent out Christmas cards last year before we got engaged. But it was mostly because we went to Europe in 2010 and I wanted a way to share some of our Europe pictures with family and friends. And I dressed my cat in a santa suit and put him on there too. Ha! πŸ™‚

Yours turned out cute!
Amber from Girl with the Red Hair recently posted..7 months to go!

39 Katie December 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I think that is adorable! I don’t think you need a reason to choose who goes in your christmas card. I have a girlfriend who sent one out of just herself on the card. No shame, you’re sending them to people who love you!
Katie recently posted..Looking Forward to….Christmas!

40 Alaina December 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I was so excited to send out Christmas cards when David and I got married. We haven’t done cards since, and we’ve been married for 3 years now.
Alaina recently posted..Polar Plunge

41 Ashley @ The fit academic December 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Adorable! I love to reeice holiday cards, but I have NEVER sent any out (I’m terrible with that type of stuff)! My hubs and I have been married for a year, living together for 5, and exclusively seeing each other fo 10 years!!! I think I had intended to do them this year (I have a vague memory of saying something like “once we’re married I’ll do it….), but obviously that hasn’t happened! haha!

42 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 9, 2011 at 11:06 pm

cute card! We didn’t do anything together until we were married. I’ve always been weirdly traditional in that stuff as well as spending the holidays with his family before we were married. It just felt weird and not right to me but I know people (including my brother) do it all the time!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Tofu bacon panini

43 Kath December 9, 2011 at 11:51 pm

You need a Great Harvest πŸ™‚

44 Kelly December 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

This is our first year sending holiday cards. I always thought it was too time consuming or a pain to send them. I’ve been married for a lot of years. People who have received them already are shocked! Who cares if you are engaged, married or whatever. Your cards are great! such a nice picture of the two of you.

45 Stacy December 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I have sent holiday cards the past 3 years with just me and my cats! Now, my boyfriend and I live together, so we’re sending out cards with the 2 of us and the cats…it would be weird not to include him, I’m looking forward to it!

46 Cara December 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Cute cards! I love the picture of you two!!! We haven’t sent out Holiday cards together yet, though I was itching to this year but next year when we are married it is MUST!
I also am obsessed with warm salads and melty hummus this week, I’ve made on everyday!

47 Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

As you know being able to successfully live together is MUCH more important than any types of FAIRYTALE WEDDING (hint, hint)…. so, since you mastered almost a year w/o killing each other, it is alright to send out Xmas cards together πŸ˜‰
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Mini Apple Pie, just for me!

48 Aleyta December 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

We sent out our first holiday card once we moved in together! Little did I know he was proposing that same xmas eve lol. I love your cards!!!

49 Allison December 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

Your cards are fab- that’s a great picture of you too! This is the first holiday season that my Dear and I are living together but between getting stuff for the apartment, work, and miscellaneous other things, we didn’t make cards… Gah, there’s always next year πŸ˜›
Allison recently posted..Best Batch Yet

50 Katy Widrick December 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

Um…I still have never sent out a card with Lucas, and we’ve been married 5 1/2 and dating since 2001! But that’s because I’m lazy with holiday traditions. πŸ™‚
Katy Widrick recently posted..Five for Friday

51 Heather December 14, 2011 at 12:38 am

I love sending cards, so I’ve sent them on my own to friends and family for years. This is our first year sendthing them together. I guess I just liked sending them on my own before we were married. πŸ™‚