more ยป" />

Sleeping in

by Meghann on December 8, 2011

I went to bed wayyyy too late last night. After a full evening of running, eating, and playing in St. Pete, I could barely lift my head when my alarm went off at 6:00am this morning.

I got up, took Maddie out in the cold, and turned right back around and headed to my comfy and cozy bed. My speed run was not happening this morning. I re-set my alarm for 7:30 and promised myself I would squeeze in my run this afternoon. Pinky promised.

I rarely talk myself out of a run in the morning, but I just couldn’t do it. My body needed some rest. Plus it was nice to spend some extra time hanging out with Derek before work. He usually wakes up after I do and leaves for the day about the same time I’m returning from my run. We always seem to miss each other coming and going in the morning.

Luckily he’s also working from home today, so we get to spend the whole day together working side-by-side. ๐Ÿ™‚

The cold weather had me craving a hot bowl of oats for breakfast.

I finally had a chance to try the egg-whites-in-oats trick by adding three tablespoons of egg whites to my normal pot of oats (rolled oats, milk, water, cinnamon, salt) just as the oats were finishing up. Egg white is a great protein boost to oats and really didn’t change the flavor or texture at all. It was really easy to do too.

On top I added an apple, peanut butter, and pumpkin spice granola.

Warmed me right up. ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re on day three of roofers. Word is they’re almost done. Woo hoo! Fingers are crossed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

Mmmm breakfast looks fabulous! Thanks for the egg-white tip! I’ll have to give that a try. It was far too cold and windy out for me this morning (I usually do my runs in the afternoon anyway), but I hope to start running in the morning while there’s a little daylight. The afternoons are getting way too dark, especially when I get stuck at work late!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..2012 Race Schedule!

2 Chef Katelyn December 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do! I will be so sad when apple season is over.
Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

Well have a fabulous run this afternoon! I know the feeling of wanting to go back to bed, especially when we’re in the negative temperatures here! But once I get to the gym I’m good to go. Glad to hear the eggy oats turned out well!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Whatโ€™s Trending for 2012

4 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

Haha I don’t know why, but when I read your last line about “roofers,” it totally made me laugh and think of The Hangover (“They shouldn’t be called roofies, they should be called floorsies!”)… So random!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Quinoa with spinach and butternut squash

5 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh man, you just reminded me I forgot to put cottage cheese in my oats this morning! :/ Enjoy working next to your man today!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..germaphobe

6 Lindsey December 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

I always add a egg white or two to my oats in the last few minutes of cooking. I cannot taste the difference but I think it adds more volume to the oats!
Lindsey recently posted..Camera Fun

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’ve added an egg to my oats but I whisk it in at the beginning. I’ll have to try your egg whites approach sometime!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Breakfast for Lunch!

8 Christina @ Just Running December 8, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yea, I like to beat my eggs before adding them. Love the fluff!
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..50-Miler Q&A with Brandi

9 Army Amy* December 8, 2011 at 11:10 am

How do you put egg whites in your oatmeal? Do you cook the egg? Or do you use egg whites from a carton, like Egg Beaters? I’ve never heard of doing this before, but I’m intrigued!*
Army Amy* recently posted..FB Faux Pas

10 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I just stirred it in at the end and made sure it was all cooked before I moved it from the pot to the bowl. I used egg whites from a carton, but I’m sure you can use a whole egg too.

11 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

it’s so good. I often bake oats with whole eggs so that I get the choline and the dha fats!! Sooooo good. just top it with milk and go!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Fudge You.

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I love adding eggs to my oats–makes ’em extra delicious–and adds major staying power!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Chocolate Milk After A Workout

13 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) December 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

mmm, looks wonderful! Green smoothie for me this morning! I am on day 4 of a 20 day green smoothie cleanse:)

14 Amanda December 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I don’t blame you for sleeping in. I would have done the same. ๐Ÿ™‚

So nice that you and Derek can work from home together.
Amanda recently posted..Gingerbread Cookie Butter Smoothie

15 Allison December 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I reset my alarm to catch an extra hour of sleep [and an afternoon workout] yesterday morning- sometimes the little extra sleep is exactly what your body needs ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m def gonna try egg whites in my oats- I love adding some Greek yogurt at the end [hot and cold combo] for some added protien, but why not bake it right in?!
Allison recently posted..Raindrops Falling On My Window

16 Hope December 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’ve never heard of putting an egg in oats but that is good idea for the added protein! They look yummy today! I like the addition of the apples.

Have working with your hunny! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Free Dinner Kind Of Eveningโ€ฆ

17 Hillary December 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Adding egg whites (or even a whole egg) to oats is one of my favorite ways to sneak in some protein. Easy, and just as delicious as the original!

18 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I never would have thought of stirring egg whites in oats – great idea! That oatmeal looks fabulous!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Two Left Feet

19 Stephanie December 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

this looks great! have to try this one! i checked out your shirt website. I LOVE it. will you help me or do you have some tips i am so lost with this stuff. lol
Stephanie recently posted..What Las Vegas Taught Me – How to Run a Race at Night

20 Ano December 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I really love your blog and read it every day in my Google reader – today, your comment about adding egg whites to get a protein boost made me pause briefly because egg whites have about 3 grams of protein (better than nothing, I know!), but most of the nutrients of an egg are found in the yolk (choline, etc.). And I know you were adding them to oatmeal, so it made sense to skip the yolk ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep up the great blogging.