Meatballs

by Meghann on December 8, 2011

This is one of those meals that I wished photographed well because it was so freaking good.

Of course, it’s hard for anything that’s covered in a rich cheese, cream, and butter sauce not to be good, right? πŸ˜‰

It all started with a pound of ground pork that I seasoned with fennel, fresh parsley, oregano, salt and pepper, and flax seed then formed in pretty little meatballs.

The meatballs went in a super hot pan to brown with some onion and zucchini.

Looking good meatballs!

The meatballs were originally meant to be covered in marinara sauce, but I hadn’t realized Derek had already used the last of the marinara sauce until the meatballs were almost done. Dratz.

So I stood in front of the fridge for a few minutes looking for a decent replacement. My Dad used to make a homemade alfredo sauce that I thought I could replicate with what I had on hand.

I removed the meatballs and veggies from the pan and got to work.

My dad’s sauce was rich, rich, rich with heavy whipping cream, a whole container of parmesan cheese, and lots and lots of butter. I had none of those things – well, I had butter – so I improvised. I melted about 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan and added a big handful of fresh parsley, the last half of a bag of shredded italian cheese, and a cup or so of milk. I brought the sauce to a semi boil while whisking the cheese until it was all blended together.

Once the cheese was melted I brought back to a medium-low and added the meatballs and veggies back to the pan.

The sauce was still very rich, but also very tasty. It was the perfect saucy topping for the ravioli I had already set aside for dinner.

Meh. I’m just sorry I couldn’t get a better photo of it. Trust me, it tasted better than it photographed. πŸ˜‰

Random homemade sauce for the win! πŸ˜‰

Dessert was a dark chocolate bar.

Earlier this afternoon I snacked on a blueberry muffin crown.

I zoned out in work at Starbucks (and spent way too much time updating my Travels page) before finally heading the gym close to 6:00 for my skipped speed session from this morning. I did not want to run. I kept telling myself I only had 5x400s and it would be over in 30 minutes tops. I found a christmas movie on the Hallmark channel and just ran.

I warmed up at 6.0 for .5 miles then toggled between 8.5 and 6.0 at .25 until I had a total of 5 .25s under my belt. Then cooled down with 6.0 for a final .5.

I was surprised how great my legs felt at 8.5, it was as if I was flying during each set. Man, speedwork feels good. It’s one of those things you know is going to hurt, so you don’t want to start, but once you start and finish it’s awesome. πŸ™‚

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 8, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I know what you mean, yesterday I was going to do a 20 min HIIT session on the treadmill, it turned into 35 because I just wanted to keep going! It’s addicting!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Breakfast for Lunch!

2 Meg at runridelove.com December 8, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Sometimes the best meals don’t always look the prettiest! I make a curried sweet potato and black bean soup that look…pretty unappealing. But it is SO delicious. So I believe you πŸ˜‰ and i think it looks pretty good anyway!
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Top Trainer Flicks: The Female Perspective

3 wymberley December 9, 2011 at 12:44 am

Who says food has to be pretty? Look at Indian food. Its so yummy and it looks like…well, yeah.
wymberley recently posted..Three Things Thursday

4 mel December 9, 2011 at 6:41 am

Do you ever take rest days Meghann? I feel like you work out every single day and I know that when I take one or two rest days a week (like just walking my dogs), I feel ready to workout the next day. Just wondering! Have a good day

5 Meghann December 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

I took Monday off with no workouts. I was just tired yesterday morning because of my the 5k Wednesday night and needed to sleep-in on Thursday. I’ve never been a fan of working out in the afternoon, it’s just so hard when you could just as easily go home, that’s why I’m usually a morning workout person. always have been.

6 Hope December 9, 2011 at 7:58 am

Those meatballs look yummy! Sometimes the best tasting food, doesn’t look so pretty. The only thing that matters is that it tastes good πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Beginning Of December Favorites…

7 carissa December 9, 2011 at 8:18 am

Bless hallmark for their holiday movies! I’m addicted!

amazing looking meatballs. I usually bake mine but I like that method.
carissa recently posted..Christmas Cookie Party

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

Wahoo-you went and did the run. Good for you πŸ™‚

9 Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 9, 2011 at 9:17 am

YOU AND YOUR STASH OF MONTEZUMA’S CHOCOLATE BARS. Taunting me. Before 9:30 am, no less.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Gluten-Free Secret Kiss Cookies: Flour-Free Family Favorites

10 Meghann December 9, 2011 at 10:37 am

That was the last one! No more taunting, I promise! πŸ˜‰

11 Adrianne Franco December 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

I always eat healthy and avoid meat most of the time but this one is so tempting and it looks mouth watering. πŸ™‚

12 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

That sauce sounds delicious! I will have to try it!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Holiday Gift Giving Ideas

13 Julie December 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Yummers! Meat and cheese…yes please. I definitely want to try these some night. I just came across your site and am a new follower. I’m always in search of meal ideas, especially during training season. Thanks!