more ยป" />

Jingle Bell Run

by Meghann on December 8, 2011

Get out your Santa hat, grab the kids, and dust off those old running shoes – it’s Jingle Bell Run season!

I LOVE holiday themed races! Especially small, local ones that bring the whole community out to run around a beautiful downtown on a random Wednesday night. Throw in a good cause and I’m always down to run! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was looking for a fun, local 5k this month, when Callie mentioned the Boleys Centers’ Jingle Run in downtown St. Petersburg, a locally run nighttime 5k fun run that’s in its 29th year and 100% supports the Boley Centers of St. Petersburg. It didn’t take long to convince our friend Mary to join in on the race fun and, before we knew it, we had a Wednesday night race party happening. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It just so happened that this night race occurred three days after my first night race on Sunday in Las Vegas. ‘Tis the season to night race?

We all made plans to have dinner after the race, so I made an extra large snack this afternoon to curb my hunger. Two graham crackers with a pumpkin/peanut butter spread and chocolate chips.

Then at 6:00 I had a mini granola bar because my body is conditioned to eat at that time an my tummy was grumbling. Oh, well.

The race started at the pier near downtown St. Petersburg at 7:30. It was a pretty packed race and I couldn’t believe how many people turned out dressed in costume ready to run it. I loved the atmosphere of fun and holiday cheer that was in the air.

I bought a new christmas hat for the occasion.

And fun socks. Not going to lie, I’ve always wanted to do a race in fun socks, it’s a good portion of the reason on why I wanted to do a fun holiday race in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This fun run was very casual. Everyone lined up at the starting line and just sort of went when the clock struck 7:30. There were no official time clocks and no speaker system; just a few hundred people making their way under a tiny arch of balloons.

Mary and I agreed to stick together and just join the crowd in a nice jog. The streets were so crowded that it was a little tough to do anymore than that. Plus, this wasn’t a very serious race. It was more fun to people watch and take in the sights. I have never been to downtown St. Pete while it was all decorated for christmas. There were fun twinkle lights everywhere and the water was so calm and peaceful at night.

They even had a few bands playing christmas music along the course. I’d say every 1/2 mile we were jammin’ to another christmas set.

The course was a quick out and back along the water. Neither Mary nor I kept track of our time, but I’m guessing somewhere around 30 minutes? give or take.

Mary’s husband Marcus ditched us in the beginning and had a great speedy run. He had more patience to fight the crowd than Mary or I did. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Callie did great as well. We even found each other a few times on the course and waived and hollered from across the lines.

All-in-all, I thought the Jungle Run was a blast! I can see why it’s such a fun, popular race among locals. It’s a great excuse to get out, share some christmas spirit, and see downtown decorated for the holidays. The only thing missing was hot chocolate and cookies at the ending. Not sure why, but I totally had my mind set that there would be cookies and hot chocolate at the end. Sadly there was none. ๐Ÿ™

After our run we took the not-so-short walk to Red Mesa Cantina for dinner.

I had heard good things about this restaurant and was excited to try it!

The table started with an order of chips with a dip trio. I was STARVING at this point and immediately dove in.

Walking to the restaurant in wet, sweaty clothes had me a little on the chilly side when we arrived. I was really craving the soup to warm me up, but also wanted to try of Red Mesa’s highly recommended tacos too.

The duck taco ( duck, grilled pineapple, goat cheese, cilantro, and red chile jelly)ย ย was AMAZING. It was a tad spicy, but not enough to overpower all the flavorings with the duck. It was delicious.

The soup was a bean and chorizo soup that was just hot enough to warm my soul without burning my tongue.

On our way home Callie and I stopped for fro-yo at Yogurtology. We lucked out because they were just locking the doors when we pulled up and the guy was kind enough to wave us in from the car.

The gingerbread flavor they have now is amazing, especially with chocolate covered waffle cones.

I can’t believe it’s after midnight on a Wednesday and I’m still awake. Must. Sleep. Now.

Good NIght!!!

1 Sana December 8, 2011 at 12:19 am

Hahaha, are night runs your thing now?
Sana recently posted..Peppermint Chocolate Cake Balls

2 Chef Katelyn December 8, 2011 at 12:20 am

Ahahha oh lawd. Themed ANYTHING makes me super happy. Especially those socks. Bing, bang, boom. SERIOUSLY go to bed!! I need to go to sleep. Final in the morning, twist my arm.
Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.

3 Gia @ rungiarun December 8, 2011 at 12:23 am

how fun … a holiday race at night amongst the lights is fantastic!! I wish NYC did that!
Gia @ rungiarun recently posted..I Forgot …

4 Meg@ runridelove December 8, 2011 at 12:26 am

This looks amazing!! I’m going to go check now for festive races in my area!!!

5 Ari @ Ari's Menu December 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

There is no fro yo that compares to Yogurtology!! Their yogurt is like serious business!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Scraping and Cookies

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 8, 2011 at 6:45 am

I did a Santa hustle this weekend in Chicago and everyone wears their Santa race shirt and a hat and beard tO the race! It was a ton of fun! I love that yours was on a Wednesday though! Great way to mix up the week!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW โ€“ Finals Style

7 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

You guys looked great–looks like a blast!
I may be participating in a ski dressed up like santa clause day next weekend! We’ll see what the snow situation is looking like!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Chocolate candycane chip cookies!

8 Kathy December 8, 2011 at 7:14 am

Looks like a lot of fun…love the socks too!

9 Kristy @ KristyRuns December 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

Fun! I’m doing my first Jingle Jog this Saturday! ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Hope December 8, 2011 at 8:08 am

That looks like such a fun race! I love your socks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Free Dinner Kind Of Eveningโ€ฆ

11 Emily December 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

Yeah for holiday themed runs! I am doing the Jingle Bell Rut this Saturday in my town. It is, however, way too cold to run in shorts (as of now the predicted temp is 25 F during the race!) so I’ll be wearing fun socks pulled up over my tights!

12 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

LOVE your socks! So cute!! Where’d you get them?
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Quinoa with spinach and butternut squash

13 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Target! Only $5.00!!

14 Faith @ For the Health of It December 8, 2011 at 8:57 am

Night races seem so much better than morning ones. I know my body sure doesn’t like cranking out the miles first thing when I wake up – I have to keep my eyes peeled for more evening-time races!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Taking my own advice

15 Army Amy* December 8, 2011 at 9:03 am

There’s a Jingle Bell run where I live. All the runners are given bells, so everyone really does jingle! I haven’t signed up, but now I’m tempted to have my own low-key, just for fun race.*
Army Amy* recently posted..FB Faux Pas

16 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

We were given bells too! But they were tiny ones that didn’t really jingle.

17 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

I love smaller local races. Looks like you had a fun time – love the socks! I would have been sad there was no cookies too.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Out of Cookies โ€“ Send More

18 Amanda December 8, 2011 at 9:14 am

What a fun night! Those socks are adorable. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad

19 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

Any race that I can run in costume or incorporate some sort of gimmick is good in my book!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..2012 Race Schedule!

20 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete December 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

I just heard that there WERE cookies at the finish line! They were just around the back of the Pier. Bummer! We’ll have to be sure to walk back there next year!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..New Post-Baby Distance Record —> 5 Miles!

21 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 9:58 am

haha! I knew there had to be! Next year they should have everything set up out front so we don’t miss it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

I LOVE those socks. Any kind of run that gets me in fro yo and I’m in! hah.

23 Allison December 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

I wish I’d known about this.. looks like fun!!

24 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

Ahhh!!1 Sorry Allison! I should have told you!

25 Allison December 8, 2011 at 10:04 am

Don’t worry about it! I’ll just have to remember next year!

26 Anne P December 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

This looks SO fun!! I wish I had been there ๐Ÿ™‚ Love your outfit, heh. I’ve always wanted to dress up for a race, too.
Anne P recently posted..Lemony Mustard Tilapia with Sautรฉed Kale, Mushrooms, and Zucchini

27 Barbara December 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

I LOVE those socks you all wore…sooo cute!!
That frozen yogurt concoction looks awesome…I could go for that right now!
Don’t take this the wrong way – I love all your stuff, but it’s “curb” your hunger…not curve ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 8, 2011 at 10:16 am

Such a fun time with you and Callie! We need to plan ahead next year and dress up even more – those reindeer and santa demolished our festive attempt!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The Next Challenge

29 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

The race looks like it was a lot of fun! I love your socks ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Healthy Breakfast On-the-Go is Possible!

30 Shanna, like Banana December 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

This is my kind of race! Since I’m not a huge fan of running, I would need tons of distractions AND the ability to wear something festive.

And Mexi at the end? Heck yes.
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Christmas Survey: This or That

31 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan December 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

You all were so cute! I put this race on my list for next year. I can’t believe they’re redoing the Pier, but I bet it will be beautiful when it’s done. Love the brown pelicans there!

32 Vikki December 8, 2011 at 11:36 am

Looks like you had fun! (Your snack however was tiny not extra large.)

33 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 11:58 am

2 graham crackers (120cals) + 2 tablespoons of PB (180 cals) + pumpkin (20cals) + chocolate chips (50cals) = 370 calories. I think that’s an extra large snack. ๐Ÿ™‚

34 Vikki December 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

So you only took a picture of part of the snack. That makes sense now. ๐Ÿ˜€

35 Allison December 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

LOVE your socks!
Allison recently posted..Raindrops Falling On My Window

36 Laura December 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Yum, yum yum! Just found your blog, and I love the combo of running/eating! I look forward to following along!
Laura recently posted..Our Familyโ€™s Food Philosophy