Kicking off Stage 5

by Meghann on December 6, 2011

When I first started The New Rules of Lifting for Women back in May I was warned that the workouts were going to keep getting longer and longer and longer. Well… they weren’t kidding. I kicked off stage 5A today with a grand total of 75 minutes in the weight room. That’s a big jump from the initial 35 minutes from stage 1.

Stage 5A just felt sooooooo long. Each workout had a total of only 4 reps, but mix that with a total of 4 sets each – and 120 second rests in between each set – and it adds up. The good news is that since the reps were on the low side, I was able to go a tad bit heavier on the weights than I normally would. After 4 sets of 4 reps, my muscles could really feel the burn. Loved it.

Just as stage 4 was similar to stage 2, stage 5 is similar to stage 3. It’s the same workouts, just a different combination of reps/sets/rests. I used stage 3 as a guide for selecting my weights and, like I said above, was able to gauge on the heavier side. It was nice to have the reference and even though I had done the similar workout before it still managed to feel completely new and different. πŸ™‚

I spent the first 20 minutes in the gym this morning warming up with a self imposed hilly walk on the treadmill before jumping to the weights.

After the gym I had my heart set on my current pumpkin-spread obsession (pumpkin, peanut butter, pumpkin butter, cinnamon) on toast.

Only we were out of my bread, so the rice cakes stepped in as the vehicle of choice to get the pumpkin spread to my belly with pumpkin spice granola. Yum.

Apple slices on the side

I really needed that breakfast. It was delicious. πŸ™‚

Being in Vegas was great, but coming home to an overflowing inbox of work was not. Boo. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted. πŸ˜‰

Time to get this day started!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

Sounds like a great workout and a delicious breakfast to follow up! Good luck playing catch-up today!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Gift Guide for the Foodies and Fitness Junkies – 2011 Edition

2 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

Welcome back! That breakfast looks so delicious. I have some pumpkin at home that needs to be used up, and with PB sounds like a perfect combination!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Ummm, awesome?

3 Michelle December 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

75min? Wow. Were you bored at all?
Michelle recently posted..Date #3 and Exciting News

4 Meghann December 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

The 120 seconds of rest in between each set are a bit of a snoozer.

5 Liz @ An Interesting Year December 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

Wow, that is so long…I JUST started NROLFW (as in, I am three workouts into Stage 1) and I’m loving it so far, but the workouts are definitely short. But 75 minutes sounds a little scary…although your breakfast sounds AMAZING! πŸ™‚
Liz @ An Interesting Year recently posted..Par for the Course

6 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

75 minutes in the weight room? Good Lord! I don’t think I am that hardcore.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Baby Jesus Can’t Eat Fruitcake.

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

I was really hating on the long rests intervals in between sets in stage 4, if they get even longer in stage 5 I’m not sure I can handle it! Although, I am excited to get back into NROLFW this week now that my races are over and I have the time again. πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The grass is always greener…

8 Meghann December 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was happy to get back after my race too. πŸ™‚

9 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 6, 2011 at 10:28 am

75 minutes seems like such a long time! I think I’d get bored being there that long–even with a full workout planned.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Frittata with Sage and Manchego

10 Army Amy* December 6, 2011 at 10:50 am

The most stressful part of taking time off of work is trudging through the emails that build up!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Put On Your Yarmulke

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

I kind of like playing catch up–it is way more exciting than boring nothing to do. Hah.

Totally love lifting!!It definitely feels awesome. Glad you’re liking it too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Protein Fat Carbs

12 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

An overflowing work inbox is always the most obvious sign a vacay is over! Happy Tuesday!

13 wymberley December 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

have you ever done p90x? THAT takes forever too. I hated it. I hope you can tough it out in the long workouts.
I’m considering the Crossfit movement just to get it all in under an hour!
wymberley recently posted..A Weigh A Day for December: Weigh 5 AND The Random Recap (now Including Cheese)

14 Meghann December 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t done it, but I would like to try it one day. I just need to find a friend to borrow the discs from. πŸ™‚

15 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous December 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

Hope you have a wonderful day!! What a long weight lighting session – phew!
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..November Musings

16 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

The long workouts are why I fell off the new rules of lifting for women bandwagon… o0ps.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Love

17 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I bought the book and plan on starting when finals are over, but this makes me nervous! I don’t usually have that kind of time!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Tea for My Sanity

18 Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I just finished Stage 1 today except for the extra 2 workouts. At first, I thought the 30 minutes was way too short but now I’ve gotten used to them. Especially since they’re so intense! Hopefully by the time I get to stage 5, 75 minutes won’t be so awful anymore. Good job getting this far!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Christmas Spirit and Cinnamon Rolls: Take 1

19 Liz December 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I am nearing the end of Stage 1 right now (this is take two, because I peaked at the end of Stage 4 last time) and I don’t know how I’m going to fit in 75 minute workouts without getting up at 4 am! eeek!
Liz recently posted..Clear Skies, Clear Minds, and Cabbage

20 Meghan December 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

As someone who has done a fair bit of weight lifting research and would really like to see you succeed, I think you should be eating some more protein after your workouts! I’ve done this program before and saw awesome results, but I also made sure to have a protein-heavy snack or meal right afterward. It really is necessary.