Bake and Serve

by Meghann on December 6, 2011

Why, hello Mr. Lazy Dinner.

I found the ready-to-cook apple walnut pork chops at Publix today and was instantly sold on the pieces of walnuts on top and the thick cuts of apples, peppers, and onions underneath.

All I had to do was take the plastic lid off and bake it for 45 minutes.

It was a homemade meal without having to lift a finger. Loved it.

Unfortunately the pork was just meh. I loved the walnuts, but the sauce/meat was too sweet. I wouldn’t get it again.

Semi-roasted broccoli (I threw them in the oven too late)

Mashed sweet potatoes

Pumpkin pie ice cream for dessert

I had a very random snack today of leftover frozen veggies and string cheese.

Weird, but it worked.

Three things before I go to bed

1. Don’t buy the Coconut La Croix. It’s awful. Yuck.

IMG_2693.jpg

2. Today is my half-marathon anniversary! On this day in 2008, I ran my first half marathon! (recap here)

CIMG4180.JPG

3. Official Las Vegas photos are up! There are a couple of good ones in the pack. πŸ™‚

Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 3.44.08 PM.png Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 3.44.48 PM.png Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 3.45.13 PM.png

So. Close. to getting a good finishers shot! Le sigh.

Good Night!

1 michelle December 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

There is a race in May about an hour away that starts at 6:30 at night. European marathons are so different than the States when it comes to start times. There are so many evening marathons and even morning marathons often start late (10am, 11am, etc). Would you ever do an evening race again?
michelle recently posted..What I Hate About Living in Germany

2 Army Amy* December 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Ooh! That ice cream looks yum!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Put On Your Yarmulke

3 kate December 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm

i think the coconut la croix is the best flavor they have! delightfulness in seltzer form πŸ™‚

4 Krissy - Shiawase Life December 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

No WAY! Can’t believe you don’t like the Coconut LaCroix! I LOVE it and have been enamored since I read about it in eatingbirdfood’s blog!!!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Major Milestone!

5 Paige December 7, 2011 at 8:03 am

Seriously, it’s my favorite flavor BY FAR! Don’t hate on the coconut!

6 Meghann December 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

It tasted like I was drinking sunscreen. I just don’t think the flavor worked in a carbonated drink. :/

7 Jamie December 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

It tastes like banana boat to me! YUCK.

8 bethany December 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

it is my favorite flavor too!!! LOL my roommate and i are OBSESSED!

9 Kelly December 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I don’t know that I would go so far as to say I’m enamored with it, but as far as LaCroix waters are concerned, I liked it as well. I didn’t find it tasted like sunscreen any more than say, coconut water would. I personally found it to have a very light coconut flavor to it and really enjoyed it.

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 6, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I’ve never tasted it but I’m not sure I can imagine bubbles + coconut. It just kinda sounds weird…
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The grass is always greener…

11 Chef Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm

oooogh, the coconut sounds disgusting. love coconut water, but something about it in a soda? not a fan. anywhoooo. publix is actually the greatest. I freaking love it.
Chef Katelyn recently posted..SMQ: Sh*t Katelyn Says.

12 Cait December 7, 2011 at 12:02 am

looooove that coconut drink!

13 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

That ice cream looks awesome. I lI’ve seasonal ice cream like pumpkin and peppermint.
Great pics of the race!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Cookies, Ear Pain, and Tonsils

14 Emily December 7, 2011 at 8:01 am

Congrats on your anniversary. That is VERY exciting!
And I think take and bake type dinners are the greatest. In fact, I may be stopping at the grocery on my lunch to see if I can come up with anything.
Emily recently posted..Lower Body = blasted!

15 Hope December 7, 2011 at 8:21 am

Sorry the pork chops didn’t taste good. I think ice cream is the cure for everything especially when it’s seasonally flavored πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The First Dance…

16 Lauri December 7, 2011 at 8:35 am

I actually really like the coconut La Croix! Although it took awhile to grow on me, at first it was confusing – the smell is strong, the flavor not as much but I have learned to really like it πŸ™‚

17 Meghann December 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

Really? I thought the flavor was very, very strong. I’m not sure I even remember the smell. What happened was, Derek took one out of the fridge and took a sip, shuddered, and said ‘I think that’s the grossest thing I’ve ever drank’ I called him a baby and told him to let me try it. He then proceeded to make fun of me as I rushed to the sink to spit my sip out and gargle the cup of iced tea he had just poured to get the taste out. haha We’re a bit over dramatic here.

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Cute pics!!! How fun πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Treadmill HIIT Workout #1

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love that you’re wearing gloves in that picture. Such a Floridian.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Force Field Against Stupid

20 Meghann December 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

I promise I wasn’t the only one wearing gloves. Pinky swear. πŸ˜‰

21 Cait's Plate December 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ah so exciting! Happy half marathon anniversary! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Four Ingredient Fix

22 diana@mymarblerye December 7, 2011 at 9:18 am

congrats on your races!! But is that 1 oz of the pork chop?! So tiny!!! Damn…I must get pumpkin ice cream asap.
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Pauper Being Ritzy

23 Meghann December 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

My RD told me that 4 oz of lean meat for dinner should equal about 8 normal bites. It looks small in the photos, but it was thick cut. And YES pumpkin ice cream is AMAZING. πŸ™‚

24 Valerie December 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

First time poster, long time reader! Don’t you love easy dinner nights! The simpler the better. I’m 26 (about to turn 27) and I’m starting a list of 30 things to do before I turn 30 (yeah, I’m starting this early in the hopes I’ll be able to accomplish more things. I’m a procrastinator). One of my goals that I hope to fulfill is running a half marathon. When you first started out, what was your training regime like? I am by no means a runner. I’m athletic but I never got bit by the running bug until recently. I’d love to see a post on a training breakdown for one of these things! Like where you were when you first started to what you do now in preparation. Sort of a comparison. Just an idea! Keep on being fabulous! Maybe one day I’ll end up in Las Vegas too!

25 Meghann December 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hi Valerie. I would love to do a look back post because my mindset is so different now with races. When I trained for my first half marathon I didn’t have a training plan and just sort of built up my miles every week one mile at a time. I also owned one tech tee (that I bought for the race specifically) and raced in cotton shorts. Classy. I don’t think you have to start out as a ‘hardcore dedicated runner’ to have fun and I am proof of that. Of course, now I’m all about training plans and my wardrobe is overflowing with running gear. Man, how times have changed! πŸ™‚

26 Valerie December 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

haha! I am a big fan of the cotton shirt! I work out in my good ol’ college t-shirt collection from my early 20’s! When I feel extra classy I don a lulu tank but usually i’m not feelin’ it at 5am in the morning!

27 Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland December 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

All of the pictures of me from the race are terrible. The race photogs always catch me at my worst! ha. They got some good ones of you ladies though!

Good to know on the coconut La Croix. I almost bought it the other day but was worried I wouldn’t like it.
Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – The Lost Vegas Photos

28 Stace December 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

I actually love the coconut flavor as well and can never find it up here in PA except at Target sometimes. But, I will let you off the hook because most people I forced into tasting it, thought it tasted like sunscreen too. More for me……if I can find it that is. Happy Humpday!

29 Kelly December 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Have you checked your local whole foods? That’s where I found it.

30 Allison December 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I saw that flavor of seltzer at Target last night and was SO tempted to buy it- glad I didn’t! What didn’t you like about it? I’ve never tried coconut water so I don’t have much to compare it to, but I love various coconut flavored items πŸ™‚
Allison recently posted..Rainy and Cute

31 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oh gosh, for a minute I thought you meant you ran your first half 1 year ago!! Haha I thought there was no way you could have done so many races in a year! Congrats though!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW – Finals Style

32 m December 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I use the coconut la croix to make a skinny colada with rum and lime over ice. yum!