Return of Long Sleeves

by Meghann on December 1, 2011

I know it’s a little late in the season, but I finally had a chance to break out a long sleeve running shirt this morning and I secretly did a little dance in its honor. πŸ™‚

longsleeverunningshirt.jpg

The weather was perfect this morning. PERFECT. It was chilly – but not freezing – and my legs were happy to soak it all in. They’ll take this weather over hot and humid any day of the week.

I had 6 miles on the schedule with 4 miles of intervals. I started with a 1 mile warm-up, then alternated between 2:00 minutes of intervals (or running as fast as I could sustain for that time) and 2:00 minutes of easy. I finished my run with a 1 mile cool down.

Overall I was happy with my pace. I kept my intervals at a sub-8:00 and my easy around 9:30. I finished in 52:58 with an overall pace of 8:49. Not amazing stats by any means, but we all have to start somewhere. πŸ™‚

There’s nothing better than a hot shower after a cold run, but stepping out of the shower into a cold room is a whole other story. I needed something hot and comforting to warm me back up.

Enter oatmeal:

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • raisins
  • Whole Foods Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
  • pumpkin
  • pumpkin spice

On top:

• apple
  • pumpkin spice granola
  • peanut butter

Paired with a cup of hot tea. Just what I needed. πŸ™‚

Teachers

I was Facebook messaging with an old friend from elementary school this morning and we were discussing how long we’ve actually known each other. I swear her and my twin brother were in the same kindergarden class (Mr. Q…), but she claimed ‘old age was setting in’ and couldn’t remember who her teacher was that year. Pshh… old age? We’re the same age. No old age here! πŸ˜‰

Anyways, that’s when I thought it would be fun to see how many of our elementary teachers we could remember. Turns out she wasn’t kidding about that old age setting in. It was like pulling teeth dragging these out of my memory banks. It’s so strange that so many of that teachers who had such a huge impact for a year of our life have sort of faded to the background of lifelong memories. I wonder where they all are now?

• K – Mrs. Perry
  • 1st – Mrs. Murray (?)
  • 2nd – Mrs. Knot
  • 3rd – Mrs. Barden
  • 4th – Mr. Thorn
  • 5th – Mrs. Holcomb
  • 6th – Mrs. M(?) <- she didn’t like me anyways

I’m not 100% sure on all the spelling of the names, but 6 out of 7 isn’t bad. 6th grade was a bad year for me, so it makes sense that I’ve pushed that teacher’s name out of my memory. I have my old yearbooks buried in a memory chest in the closet of my childhood room, I should go through it the next time I’m home and look that one up.

It’s a fun game – you should try it! Try listing all of your elementary teachers and see how many you get!

The real fun is remembering all of your middle school and high school teachers. I guarantee I would fail on that one.

1 Christina @ Just Running December 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

You are so slim!

K – Olsen
1 – Huffer
2 – Jacobs
3 – Brinker
4 – Mr. McGarvy
5 – Riser

Sixth grade was middle school for me, so that’s it!
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..50-Miler Q&A with Kara

2 Diana December 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

I swear I did the same exact workout (in Tampa πŸ™‚ ) this morning. However, I have always ran my intervals on the treadmill…

Do you do all your intervals on bayshore? Just wondering!

I find it annoying to have to run to get to bayshore before I have a good area to do intervals…I guess I’m spoiled by having bayshore at all!

3 Meghann December 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Nope! Bayshore is a bit far from me, but I wish I could run there everyday!

4 Cait's Plate December 1, 2011 at 10:32 am

Haha I always do that with my teachers too! I’m pretty good for the most part except I get a little fuzzy on 3rd grade (have NO idea why)!

And yay for perfect running weather! There’s nothing better πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pears Well

5 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

because third grade is stupid and your teacher may or may not have stuck you in the hallway every other day. Or maybe that was just me.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Manifest or Be Buried, Troll.

6 Cait's Plate December 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

HAHAHA! That made me laugh out loud.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pears Well

7 allison @ thesundayflog December 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

K – mrs. pfaff
1 – mrs. yost
2 –
3 – mrs. jack
4 – ms. zaslovsky
5 – mr. seitz
6 – mrs. moretta/ms. white
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Thanksgiving 2011

8 Meg at runridelove.com December 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

I feel terrible now b/c I can’t remember my first grade teacher! Oh well. I definitely remember 4th/5th grade. I had the same teacher both years, he took the whole class up to 5th grade, and he was awesome! I even remember the nickname he had for me, the Megster. I would go hang out with him now if I knew where he was these days!
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Sometimes It’s Just to Keep You Sane…

9 Dori December 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

I remember every teacher I had through 8th grade. I also remember every camp group I’ve been in from Kindergarten through working there.
Dori recently posted..After November 6

10 Chloe (In Fine Feather) December 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

That shirt is super flattering on you!

I have a terrible memory, especially regarding my childhood. I literally think I came into consciousness around 3rd grade and even then my memories are still fuzzy πŸ™‚

11 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 1, 2011 at 10:43 am

K-Miss Roloff
1-Mrs Maier
2-Mrs Wright
3- Mrs Ashbrook-HATED ME FIRST
4-Mrs Hudson-HATED ME
5-Mrs Pierce-I was never student of the week
6-Mr Mishak-awesomesauce
7-Miss Schaffer-chester molestress.
Class of 01-Holla.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Manifest or Be Buried, Troll.

12 sarah (sarah learns) December 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

i just had a conversation with one of my good friends from middle school about one of our teachers from middle or high school and neither of us could come up with a name – it drove us crazy!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas

13 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 1, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’m the same way- I know many runners consider winter the off-season, but I actually prefer running in the cooler temps than the heat!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Office Breakfast: OOIAFJJ

14 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

My brother and I just had this conversation not long ago. We went to private school so we have homeroom teachers from Kindergarten to 8th grade.
K – Mrs. Maurer
1 – Mrs. Schade
2 – Mrs. Roberts (favorite teacher!)
3 – Mrs. Mahnken
4 – Mr. Snyder (2nd favorite teacher)
5 – Mr. Kuhlmann
6 – Miss Bayer
7 – Mrs. Hoft
8 – Mrs. Wetzstein
I think it helps that I regularly see them at church too. My 1st, 3rd, and 6th grade teachers are all in choir with me also. I’m sure I make them feel really old that I just had a baby…
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..adventures in cloth diapering

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

I did 6 miles too this morning!
K – Ms. Steimer
1st – Ms. Dickerson
2nd – Ms. J (??? ahhh loved her!)
3rd – Ms. Baker
4th – Ms. Bryant
5th- Ms M(???) oh well hated her.
6th – Ms. Coulson
okay wow. That was a lot more difficult than I anticipated.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Feeling the Spirit

16 Megan December 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

Once you remember their names, look them up on facebook. Now that’s interesting!
Megan recently posted..Semanas de Despedidas

17 Tracey Leffler December 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

My dad and I played this game while I was home this past week. We both have pretty good long term memories, so it’s always fun/competitive to see who can remember more.

18 Lindsey December 1, 2011 at 11:07 am

That would be a tough one! Now I am going to write them down and see how far I get! I often forget my age, I have been 27 for a couple months but catch myself saying I am 26… haha
Lindsey recently posted..Christmas Music & Advent Calendar Time!

19 s December 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm

haha i realized i was 27 halfway through being 26 … that was odd, i actually had to do the math to calculate my birthday. being 28 is a lot easier to remember, because, well, i just kinda feel old, haha.

20 christine @ BookishlyB December 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

For Vegas (Sunday):

High: 52
Low: 32
Humidity: 0%

Better bring those long sleeves πŸ™‚
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Blog Hop- Brrrrrr With a Side of Ef Don DeLillo

21 Meghann December 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

And running gloves. Brrr!!! #FloridaWimp

22 Elisabeth December 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

Ooooh…fun!
K – Mrs. Krupp
1 – Mrs. Echelberry
2 – Mrs. Rheno
3. Mrs. Drake
4. Mrs. Keller
5. Mrs. Wise
6. Mrs. Miller

7. Ms. Miller, Mr. Van Ness, Mrs. Needles, Mrs. Plotnik
8. Mr. Rhodes, Mrs. Haddix, Mr. Haddix, Mrs. Findlay

I think I could remember all of my HS teachers, too, but that’s a loooonnnngg list πŸ˜‰

23 Alaina December 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

Oh fun! Let’s see what I can remember:

Pre-K-Jean
1-Haggerty
2-Levesque
3-Espenet
4-Pearlman
5-West
6-Keeler
7&8 – I can’t remember. That’s weird that the most recent one’s are the hardest to remember

Yeah to cool weather running!!
Alaina recently posted..Christmas in Copley

24 Ashley December 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

K-Ms Banks
1-Ms Cottle
2- Ms Whaley
3-Ms Arthur
4-Ms Hawes, Granny, and Ms Scallan
5- Ms Coates, Ms Turner, and Ms Howard
6-Ms Grady, Ms Wallace, and Ms Martin

25 Carrie December 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

I remember all of my elementary teachers. It’s the middle school ones that I have problems with.
K – Mrs. Nipper
1 – Mrs. Williams
2 – Mrs. Wilson (who became the schools art teacher the next year)
3 – Mrs. Weatherby
4 – Mrs. Payne
5 – Mrs. Fincher/Mrs. Jordan/Coach (aka Mr. Tippens)
6 – Mrs. Cagle/Mrs. White
P.E. – Mrs. Williamson (for K), Mrs. Moss (1-2), Coach (3-6)
Music – Mrs. McGowen

As an extra note: my kindergarten p.e. teach was my nephew’s 4th grade teacher. And the principal was my mom’s elementary school principal and my dad’s baseball, basketball, and football coach.

26 jena December 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m loving this cooler weather we are having in FL right now!

I can remember my K-5 teachers, but after that it get tricky – In Lake county we started middle school in 6th grade, and we had 6 classes/day. I can remember 3 of the 6. Then it’s kind of blurry & I forget who I had what year & for which class. In HS i had the same teachers several times so that’s even more confusing.
jena recently posted..fun w/ the whole damn family

27 Maddie December 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

I remember all my teachers! I feel like it’s crazy that people wouldn’t. k-mrs lesco, 1-ms. valentine, 2-ms. roylance (who was also my neighbor), 3-mrs. lambros, 4- mrs. blanchet, 5- mrs. brammer, 6- mrs. jordan (who was so mean and awful too! 6th grade was apparently a bad year).
Maddie recently posted..The 10% Rule Rules!!!!!

28 Carolyn December 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Is that an Old Navy LS shirt? I wore the same one this morning.
Carolyn recently posted..Heart Health

29 Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I can’t remember my K-2nd grade teachers’ names, but my 3rd-5th grade teachers had such a huge impact on me that I could never forget them! During high school, I actually volunteered in my 5th grade teacher’s classroom (who was teaching 2nd grade at that point) and she even came to my high school graduation! That relationship meant so much to me!
Bethany @ More Fruit Please recently posted..Whole Wheat Breakfast Biscuits

30 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I can remember my k-5, 1st, 2nd, and 5th… that’s pretty sad.

31 Laura December 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I know that 2nd was Ms. Kuhns. 3rd started as Mr. Thayer but then I moved and I don’t remember the second teacher. 4th – Mrs. Evans. 5th Mrs. Summers. 6th Mr. Skordal. Somewhere in the very beginning there was a Ms. Hartinger.
Laura recently posted..Five Guys Burgers and Fries

32 Army Amy* December 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I can’t remember my 2nd or 3rd grade teachers’ names. I wonder if they’d remember me! I actually teach middle school English in the same district as my former 5th grade teacher. We exchanged emails earlier this school year. She said she remembered me and even sent me an essay I’d written for her class in 1995!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Health Edumacation

33 Hillary December 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I teach middle school, and I always wonder how many of my kids will remember me in ten or twenty years! Hopefully a lot of them ; )
Hillary recently posted..Hold It Together

34 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I love a good, sweaty, HARD run .Feels awesome!
K.. burkhard
1. Alqhuist
2. Todd
3. Eisenberger
4. Nolte/Ristau
5. Dietrich
6. Caldwell
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Sugar Addiction -Part 2 + Thankful Thursday

35 Krista December 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

K-Mrs. Goodman
1st-Mrs. West
2nd-Mirs. Kolbus
3rd-Mrs. Dabney
4th-Mrs. Thornburg
5th-Mrs. Dauenheauer?
6th-Mrs. Birch
Whew….

36 s December 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

kennedy, ellis, mc-something?, crissup. i skipped 2nd grade, so that should make remembering them easier, but 4th grade is iffy because my teacher left in the middle of the semester (her husband was in the military and they were being relocated or something). anyways, 6th grade wasnt a good year for me either; in retrospect i was kind of a nerd, bahaha. but i had like a zillion teachers, since we did 1-5, 6-8, and 9-12th grades at elementary, middle, and high school, respectively.

37 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Haha I can def remember all of mine.. a lot of them were nuns!

Long sleeves ALWAYS makes me too hot, even when it’s freezing outside!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Hello world!

38 Anne December 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I think I can do it. Mrs. Director, Mrs. Algiers, Mrs. Hall, Mrs. Wakefield, Mr. Eads, Mr. Caskey, Mrs. Noll. HA!

I was trying to remember our language arts teacher from 5th grade the other day and it took me a long time. Maybe I remember mine so well, since I’m still really good friends with some people from way back when. We talk about our teachers every so often.
Anne recently posted..Grateful

39 Maria December 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

K: I have no clue :-/ I changed schools
1st: Mrs. Patterson
2nd: Mrs. Marriot…I’m actually in the Air National Guard with one of her sons…craziness! I saw her a few years ago when he got deployed. She didn’t remember me.
3rd: Ms. Doberful
4th: Ms. Lamb
5th: My Kohlmeier
6th: Mrs. Filak…I hated this woman!
Maria recently posted..Meatless Monday-Speedy Weeknight Dinner/SIDI

40 Sarah December 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh this is hard! Let’s see…

K – Ms. Bassegio
1st – Ms. Hoel (who I remember clearly bc she became a high school teacher later on)
2nd – Ms. McDonald
3rd – Ms. Stumpf (who was Ms. Ballard then got married partway through the year)
4th – Ms. Artzer for 1/2 the year + a sub I can’t remember for the other half.
5th – Completely drawing a blank. During 5th grade we had 3 rotating teachers to help prepare us for middle school. I remember Mr. Moore, Ms. Frank and….black hole, can’t remember the third, nor can I remember who was my “main” teacher.
Sarah recently posted..Let’s Talk Goals – December

41 jennyv December 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

K-Mrs. Deardorff
1-Mrs. Davis
2-Mrs. Ward
3-Ms. Beem
4-Mrs. Woltjer
5-Mrs. Peyton, Mr. Moenck, Mrs. McCollough, Ms. Steffen
6-Mrs. Weber, Mr. Bussan… can’t remember the rest!
It all gets fuzzy from here πŸ™‚

42 Cara December 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

In all seriousness, my kindergarten teacher’s name was Mrs. Word. Really. How perfect is that?

43 Liz December 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

1-Peckham
2-Fiddler
3-Pflum
4-Dyas
5-Rosenbach
6-we were in middle school so I had tons of teachers.
Most of mine retired the year after I had them and I think more than half have since passed away…ughh, I’m old πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..Project Christmas Cookie

44 Aimee December 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Kindergarten: ??????? (WHY CAN’T I REMEMBER)
1st: Greenwell
2nd: Rhodes
3rd: Lovegrove
4th: Duttenhaber (Duttenhaver?)
5th: Davis
6th: Meade (were we in the same?)

45 April @ Marathons N Martinis December 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I can tell this is going to get harder to remember as I get older, but for now, I do recall:
K -Mrs Karnes
1 – Mrs Grubb/ Ms Clancy
2 – Mrs Hill
3 – Mrs Jackson with Redwine for Reading and Eggers for Math
4 – Mrs Dowling
5 – Mrs Nabors
6 – Middle school, but had Mrs Cole, Mrs Walsh, Mrs Storms for English/Science/Math
April @ Marathons N Martinis recently posted..Top Ten Tips for Your First Marathon or Half Marathon

46 Christina December 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm

K- Mrs Blair
1- Ms Hicks
2- Mrs Miley
3 – Mrs Pickle
4- Mrs Sullivan
5- Mrs Gaddy & Mrs Sullivan(different one than 4th)
6- Ms Wicker, Mr Costilow, & MS Meanie..(ok that wasn’t her name, but i apparently blocked it out.. she was mean!)
What is it with 6th grade??

i love your shirt! i was just wondering myself what do most do/wear to keep warm on early morning runs when its frosty outside.

47 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

K-Mr. ? (tom was his first name though!)
1st-Mrs. Miller (evil, evil woman)
2nd- Mrs. Mullady
3rd-Mrs. Koalaz
4th-Mrs. Colasacco (best teacher ever)
5th-Mr. Lederman
6th was middle school for us so we had a ton…I can’t remember any of them right now!

It’s funny you brought this up b/c yesterday I was trying to remember a coworkers name from 3 years ago and can’t for the life of me! That’s old age right there kicking in!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Oat almond & date energy bites

48 Claire December 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

K – Sanford
1 – Jayroe
2 – Runge/Staton
3 – Farrah/Browning/Jackson/Lewis
4 – Thompson/Price/Pouncey/Gillian
5 – no one! MYSELF – we lived overseas this year and just did work from the school books
6 – Hartfield/Nelson/Stewart/Thomas

My mind is a steel trap. Plus, I was (am!) such a nerd. Loved all of my teachers. I could probably name all my jr high and high school teachers, too. College and med school, however, is another story!

49 sara December 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

K – Mrs. Pelura
1st – ??
2nd – Mrs. Semonche
3rd – Mrs. Litvin
4th – Mrs. McKinley
5th – Mrs. Donelson
6th (HR teacher) – Mrs. Denny

*Not too bad!
sara recently posted..getting dressed is so much fun now!