Food On My Mind

by Meghann on November 30, 2011

Thank you for all the wonderful Vegas suggestions! Sounds like there are plenty of good places to eat and if we want to drink we should play the penny slots and tell the servers to keep them coming. Good to know. 😉

It turned cold this afternoon. Really cold. I just checked the forecast and it’s supposed to be cold in Vegas too. I LOVE it. Now it feels like Christmas. 🙂

I had a tangerine with a small handful of cashews for my afternoon snack.

Then escaped the cold weather by returning to Hot Fitness Yoga to try another one of their yoga classes. This one was just regular ole hot yoga and was a bit on the slow side. We moved through each pose very slowly and took the practice in a relaxing, meditative fashion. I didn’t hate the class, but I didn’t love it either.

They have a power class that I want to check out, but I’ll have to wait until it fits in my schedule.

To be honest, through most of the class I was thinking about what we had in the fridge and what we were going to make for dinner. I know, bad yogi! But I was hungry and food is always on my mind. 🙂

Turns out we had almost an entire pan of cornbread that dinner had to involve in some shape or form. We also had 1/2 a pound of ground chicken that needed to be cooked or tossed.

The cornbread became the base for an open-faced sandwich with the meat, a random can of tomatoes, and some onion that I cooked in a medium frying pan and topped with cheese, as the filling.

Have you ever had sauteed yellow squash with fresh dill? It’s amazing. Dill is my FAVORITE yellow squash seasoning, but I rarely have both on hand. I lucked out this evening and ate an entire yellow squash covered in dill all on my own.

Delicious. 🙂

A serving of pumpkin pie ice cream made an appearance for dessert.

Ahhh… Home Alone 2 is on TV right now. LOVE that movie! One of the few movies where the second one is almost better than the first. Almost. We’ll just pretend any Home Alone made after that doesn’t exist. 😉

Good Night!

1 Kat @ Balance & Spice November 30, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That dinner looks truly to die for. Amazing and delicious. Genius!
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..I’m Moving….!!!!!!

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 30, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I totally agree about Home Alone 2! I can’t decide which one I like more… I still think maybe the first. Anyway, whenever Christmastime comes around I want to watch both of them!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Back to Class

3 Leslie November 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

“plan” of cornbread??

4 Mia December 1, 2011 at 12:32 am

Leslie,

I have been an avid reader of Meals and Miles–albeit a silent one–for almost two years now, and your persistent criticism of Meghann’s spelling and grammar has compelled me to leave my first comment. I implore you to remember what keeps us all coming back to this page day after day. Personally I have come to appreciate Meghann’s candor in chronicling her diet and exercise and have been able to draw inspiration from her as a female athlete myself. If I was concerned about impeccable writing I would be reading one of my college textbooks, but the conversational nature of the writing on this blog is what makes it so relatable and approachable. Yes, that means that there might be some grammatical errors here and there, but in my opinion they never prevent Meghann from getting her point across. This is not an academic publication, so please think twice before being so critical. I’m sure your keen eye has practical applications elsewhere though, I wish I had someone as observant as you to edit my English papers for me! 🙂 Take care and happy holidays.

5 KP November 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

yummm..I didn’t even know pumpkin pie ice cream existed! I am officially on the hunt for it!

6 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 30, 2011 at 10:02 pm

i went to a 12:00 yoga class and thought, basically the entire time, about what iw as going to eat for lunch. whoops!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..baked spinach + ricotta cakes

7 Liz November 30, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’m with you on Home Alone – I love the first 2, but anything after that is NOT really Home Alone. No Macaulay Culkin? Forget it!

8 Army Amy* November 30, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I don’t know about Home Alone, but when it comes to The Godfather, the sequel is superior! I can’t think of many other movies with a better sequel.*
Army Amy* recently posted..What’s up with that Wednesday

9 Chef Katelyn November 30, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Ahhh! Seriously miss zukes. Also cashews are magical roasted in maple sizzurp. Omg fairy dust and SPRINKLES
Chef Katelyn recently posted..What I Like to Eat Wednesday

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 30, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I LOVE cashews!! SO yumm.

I sometimes hate yoga because it makes my mind race….
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Stay On Track

11 Julia November 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I try not to snark on what bloggers eat, but four and a half cashews is not “a small handful.” One serving of cashews is 18-24 according to my my Planters can anyway.

12 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 30, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I love Home Alone!! Definitely feel so good after reading y’all love it as well 🙂 I guess age is just a number when it comes to childhood memories or holiday favorites 😉
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Penang in Atlanta

13 Lyka Ricks December 1, 2011 at 6:16 am

I miss eating cashew nuts! What a delicious dinner with a pumpkin ice cream as the sweet finale! Love it!
Lyka Ricks recently posted..Buying Beer Online

14 Emily December 1, 2011 at 8:04 am

You’re doing the half, right? I hear the course will be great!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 30

15 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 1, 2011 at 9:02 am

Since I always do yoga on a (pretty much) empty stomach, I tend to start thinking about what I’m going to eat afterwards, too!
This dinner looks DELICIOUS and comforting!!
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..December Goals!

16 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

Anything with cornbread is good in my book. That looks fantastic. And yes, there were no HA movies after the second.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Most important meal of the day?

17 Cait's Plate December 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

I LOVE Home Alone 2!! It was on last weekend and I watched it! Gotta love ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas! 🙂

18 Leslie December 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

Mia
I have been a long time reader of this blog as well. It was when I began to consider not reading due to the poor nature of the writing that I commented. I do not want to stop reading but I am put off by the neglect of simple proof reading. I like Meghann’s style and have enjoyed reading in the past. I am not enjoying it as much and wanted her to know why.The intent of my comments were never mean spirited. The persistance was due to my reluctance to drop her blog from my reader.

19 Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) December 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love those dinners where random ingredients come together for something really yummy. This looks like one of those! And I’ve never tried dill with yellow squash, but I always try to have dried dill in my pantry (SO great for fish!). Wonder if that would work, too?
Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) recently posted..My First “Adult” Thanksgiving Spent with Friends

20 Michelle December 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Meaghann,
I wonder if I am too late for this but you MUST have the breakfast buffett at the WINN ENCORE. It is probably the freshest, and healthiest food I have eatten in a long time. When I was there last year I vowed to attempt to make some of the museli (sp) – simply amazing. Enjoy your trip. Oh, and I can’t wait to hear the recap! 🙂

Michelle