Pacing Crutch

by Meghann on November 29, 2011

Good Morning!

The grey skies from yesterday made way for a beautiful day today. The sky is crystal clear blue, the temperature is just right, and the humidity is gone – a perfect morning for a run!

I laced up my shoes this morning with a goal of hitting an 8:45 average on my 5 mile run. It was hard not to start out fast, everything just felt right and I had to force myself to pull it in. Eventually I found a steady pace that I felt I could stick with until the end.

Unfortunately, my Garmin died a mile in and I lost my pacing clutch. Running without a Garmin is great on occasion and can be very freeing if you have no time goals, but if you are trying to meet certain goals, it’s a pain in the butt not to run with one. I know. I’m addicted.

I went by feeling and pushed myself to what I thought an 8:45 pace should feel like. I just let my legs do their thing and didn’t worry about it. If I didn’t exactly hit my goal, then it’s ok, I felt strong and fast and I’m happy about that.

After my run I made a pumpkin-themed breakfast that I had been craving during my run.

I made a mix of pumpkin, peanut butter, pumpkin butter, pumpkin spice, and raisins that I slathered generously on a piece of toast.

So, Good. πŸ™‚

The extra was placed on the plate as a dip for the fresh apple slices.

Again, So. Good. πŸ™‚

I think pumpkin and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. Agree? πŸ˜›

1 Lindsey November 29, 2011 at 10:07 am

I love pumpkin and peanut butter! I often mix them in with plain Greek yogurt – soo good!
Lindsey recently posted..Christmas Card Photos

2 Sana November 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

I don’t even go for a walk without my Garmin, my running days are long past me but i still love that chunky thing.
Sana recently posted..Healthy Goals=Happy Sana

3 Christy November 29, 2011 at 10:13 am

I just got a Garmin and will be using it while running the LV Half this weekend. But I was wondering how you use the pacing feature. Do you use the average pace or pace of last lap? So excited!

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 29, 2011 at 10:14 am

Totally agree! I had a pumpkin smoothie in a bowl with peanut butter on top this morning πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pomegranate orange scones

5 Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk November 29, 2011 at 10:17 am

I think you can mix pumpkin with anything and it would be outstanding!

6 Cait's Plate November 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

Oh my. That looks INCREDIBLE. Pumpkin and PB are almost as good as chocolate and pb in my book πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Nutty

7 Evi November 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

I find it hard to run without a Garmin. I’m ok not knowing the pace- but I definitely like to know the milage (just because around here there are so many places I could go). Glad to hear you had a good run!
Evi recently posted..Asian Noodle Bowl

8 Chef Katelyn November 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

Le duh! That’s why I make punkin spice peanut butter! #magic

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 29, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’ve just now started using my Garmin regularly and… I’m already addicted as well.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Facebook Fan Page

10 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday November 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

I like the peanut butter and pumkin combination. I used it when I made a sweet pumpkin dip for apples (here’s the recipe if you’re interested) that I made for hallowe’en. So tasty.

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 29, 2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t own a Garmin, but I can tell usually about how fast I am running-and I can use a timer with knowing how many miles I go.

Your b-fast looks awesome!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Is Sugar Addicting?

12 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 29, 2011 at 11:43 am

No humidity in FL? Sounds perfect for a run!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Crockpot homestyle pot roast

13 Amanda November 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

I agree about the pumpkin/peanut butter combo. It’s awesome!
Amanda recently posted..Cranberry Orange Muffins

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 29, 2011 at 11:55 am

I love making pumpkin oats and mixing in PB, but your spread looks pretty good too!

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 29, 2011 at 11:59 am

It’s sad how dependent I am on my Garmin. I wish I wasn’t because it can become my worst enemy, but I am so OCD about time/ pace that I need it! Lol
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Lessons From Death

16 Laura November 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I have a Garmin 110, so I have to his start/stop. If I don’t run with it I still find myself touching my wrist each time.
Laura recently posted..Operation Griswold, Part Deux

17 Meg November 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I get too competitive with myself when I wear my garmin, so I only wear it when I’m seriously training for something. Since I’m not right now, its just me and the ipod (and the pups of course!)

18 Maria November 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’ve never tried pumpkin & peanut butter, but it looks really good! I’m also addicted to my garmin. I need my garmin on my runs & my iPod at the gym. Without these, I’m lost especially if I’m trying to reach a time/pace goal. Once, I forgot my iPod on my way to the gym and didn’t notice it until I was in the locker room. I left without working out.

19 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Pumpkin and pb has been one of my favorite combos as of late! I haven’t tried it with raisins yet but I’ll think I’ll have to! I like shredded coconut on top too!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Autumn Harvest β€œPanzanella”

20 Diana November 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Your pumpkin-ness has got my husband eating pumpkin all the time. I basically eat whatever you eat…!

I’ve been wanting to ask you how you are enjoying your seasonal teas that you got from whole foods? I bought the gingersnappish and the sugar cookie flavors. Big thumbs up for the gingersnappish and thumbs down for the sugar cookie for me!

21 jena November 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

So, 4 paragraphs about your run & then no results? I mean, I know your garmin died, but surely you have an idea of how long you were out.
jena recently posted..fun w/ the whole damn family

22 Ida November 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I really rely on my garmin too. I run the same routes all the time so at least I know how far I’m going if the battery does die.

23 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane November 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I really want to try that mix!!
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Day Before Space Coast Half Marathon 2011 Part 1

24 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love my garmin, I hate when it dies when I’m trying to do a pace run. Did you check the clock when you got home to see how close you were without a watch?

Oh – and I’m glad I’m not the only one still eating pumpkin! πŸ™‚
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Tuesday Training: 4 Things I Learned From Hot Yoga

25 Stephanie November 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

pumpkin and maple almond butter are even better!

I don’t know if you are out of TJ’s pumpkin butter but a great breakfast combo is:
-hot oats
-1 tbs-ish of pumpkin butter -more or less depending on your taste
– a sprinkle of raisins
-a sprinkle of cinnamon
– a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
-half of an apple cut into chunks
-a spoon of maple almond butter lightly swirled on top of oatmeal

remaining apple slices with about a 1/2 T of maple almond butter on the side.

My favorite πŸ™‚

26 Susan November 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Do you mean a pacing cRutch? As in something you rely on? Clutch makes no sense in the context you used it.

27 Emily November 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Nice run!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo – Day 29

28 Axel November 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

OK, my last blog post (see link) mentions smartphone apps that could be used instead of a Garmin for pacing. They don’t help you with heart rate (unless you get a Bluetooth HR monitor strap to use them with) but it would help you in these cases. I haven’t seen my Garmin in months…
Axel recently posted..Gear Corner: Running Wirelessly

29 Christie November 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Pumpkin and Peanut butter really?? Never tried it. I love me some Pumpkin though

30 Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) November 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Oooooh I keep meaning to try making my own pumpkin butter, but I’m currently obsessed with apple butter. That stuff also goes SO well on toast. Trust me on this one πŸ˜‰

31 Meaghan O'Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration November 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Apples and dip is my favorite πŸ™‚ I love yogurt fruit dip.
Meaghan O’Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration recently posted..Day 29- Truth Matters