A Very Meg(h)an(n) Lunch

by Meghann on November 29, 2011

Dear Megan,

Why did you have to move so far away? Please come back to Tampa and stay forever.

Love, Meghann

*hugs* πŸ™‚

Actually I think we both agreed Orlando is where it’s at. Maybe we’ll both end up back there one day. A girl can dream. πŸ™‚

Megan has a late flight back home to Maryland this evening and had just enough for a lunch out with her sister and I before she headed out of town.

The last time I saw Megan’s sister (Brielle) was back in 2009 right after she graduated high school. Since then she’s graduated cosmetology school, moved out on her own, and just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. She’s so grown up now and is as beautiful as ever. Those McCarty girls have some good genes they’re working with!

None of us were craving anything in particular for lunch, so we headed to a nearby mall and walked inside the first place that caught our attention.

I’m not sure if GrillSmith is a national chain or not, but they’re everywhere in Tampa. I seem to drive by one no matter what side of town I’m in, but have never actually been in one. Today seemed as good as day as any to check it out.

The menu was your standard all-american menu full of burgers, sandwiches, chicken, steaks, etc. I was leaning towards a salad/soup combo when we all decided to just split a bunch of appetizers. Sounded good to me.

The Smoked Salmon Bruschetta was the table favorite. We all enjoyed the fishy-twist on the Italian classic.

The Chicken Gorgonzola Flatbread was a close runner-up. I really enjoyed the carmelized onions and crispy thin flatbread.

And, finally, we had the Caprese Salad, which was very fresh and delicious.

Megan and I both ordered a side of steamed veggie to sneak some extra nutrients in our meals.

It seemed like a lot of food as we were ordering, but it all ended up being just enough for the three of us.

As soon as we finished, I had to race across town to pick a friend up from the airport (I feel like I know that place like the back of my hand by now), then had a couple of afternoon conference calls to attend to.

A mini Erin Baker’s Breakfast Cookie was a nice treat between calls. Love these things!

I’m really glad I got to see Megan one last time before she left. It’s so sad that most of my friends live so far away now. I miss them! πŸ™

1 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm

i love sharing a bunch of small plates at restaurants… gives you a chance to try a bit of everything!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..’tis the season {holiday favorites}

2 Sana November 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hahah I am happy Megan lives near me now, but despite being 10 mins away we don’t hangout that often. The bf is obsessed with FL, I need to visit and see what they hype is all about but I am terrified of alligators!
Sana recently posted..Food Rules

3 Chef Katelyn November 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Oof. Flatbread makes me swoon.
Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Greatest Story Ever: The Pope and Swiss Cheese.

4 Army Amy* November 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Everything looks so good! And you can’t beat lunch with friends!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Boastin’ and Braggin’

5 Laura November 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

That meal looks very tasty! Does Derrick mind you always bashing Tampa, where he lives? It seems you are constantly complaining about how much you miss Orlando. Does this bother him, or does he not really notice what you say on the blog? I feel like it might offend him!!

6 Meghann November 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I wouldn’t say I’m bashing Tampa, I’d just say I prefer Orlando over Tampa because Orlando feels like home. πŸ™‚ We have plans to move back to Orlando in the next couple of years, so he’s as ready to move out of Tampa as much as I am. He’s never shown a real big attachment to Tampa and always jokes that I’ve probably been more places in the area than he has in the 27 years he’s lived here. πŸ™‚

7 Laura November 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm

oh good.. that makes a lot more sense, then, if you all are on the same page! I just didn’t know he felt the same way as you did.

8 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Ooooh, that bfast cookie looks yummy! I’ve never heard of that brand!

9 Lauren November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Love Megan! I’m so glad she lives close to me now and that we were able to become fast friends. So nice that you got to spend some time with her before she left.
Lauren recently posted..What My Workouts Look Like Now

10 Jenny November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Looks good, but I’m going to have to disagree with you– 3 appetizers split between 3 people does NOT seem like a lot of food! Even with steamed veggies on the side.

11 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never seen a caprese salad served that way; I like!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..A Green Fine Day

12 kenzie November 30, 2011 at 1:06 am

um…that does not constitute a meal.

13 MegaNerd November 30, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’m sad to be so far away from all my friends (and family), too!

It was great to see you twice this trip πŸ™‚ Thanks for coming to lunch with us yesterday.
MegaNerd recently posted..Seven Days

14 Emily November 30, 2011 at 8:27 am

You are so good ordering the veggies to go with your lunch. I probably wouldn’t do that. Hmmm… I should think about that now. πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo – Day 29

15 Cait's Plate November 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my gosh all the food just looks incredible!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Charged

16 Heather November 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

Grillsmith is a new concept by the original developers/owners of the Melting Pot. It is not yet a franchise but I believe they are steering in that direction. So far, they’re only in the Tampa area.

Another new one by the same people is Burger 21 (Westchase and Carrollwood). It’s a cool concept and very tasty, you should check it out! They have a marshmallow dipping sauce for sweet potato french fries that is amazing!

17 Meghann November 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

Thanks for filling me in! I’ve heard good things abou Burger 21 and have been wanting to try it. You’ve just encouraged me to try it sooner rather than later. πŸ™‚

18 Allison December 1, 2011 at 3:28 am

I work at the GrillSmith in Carrollwood!! It’s still somewhat new and only in the Tampa Bay area (I think there’s one in Clearwater, maybe St. Pete too), but it’s branching out! Seeing this post made my day, what a small world! You would LOVE the Sunday brunch, soooo good!!