more ยป" />

Christmas Decorating Round II

by Meghann on November 27, 2011

Go!

Gathering the christmas decorations for mine and Derek’s place was a little different than at my parents’. Less stuff, less space, and less time needed to set it all up.

IMG_2393.jpg IMG_2396.jpg IMG_2397.jpg

Done. And done. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2405.JPG

With the tree done, we broke for lunch just after 1:00.

I made wraps using what we had in the fridge – a wheat tortilla filled with cheese, salsa, spinach, olives, and tomatoes.

And fresh greens beans on the side.

When we were pulling christmas stuff out of the attic, Derek brought down two big rolls of unused wrapping paper that I had forgotten were up there.

I had purchased the wrapping paper the day or two after christmas when everything was crazy marked down. It was a nice surprise to find among the christmas junk and came in handy with the presents I had stocked up on this weekend. Makes me kind of excited for the post-christmas mark downs on December 26th this year. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now our tree looks complete. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2429.jpg

Afternoon snack: tangerine + cashews

Dinner was a Derek creation, so I grabbed a beer…

IMG_2446.jpg

…sat back and watched him do all the work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Derek’s specialty is salmon with a herbed yogurt dressing.

We had his brother over for dinner and he wanted to show off his culinary skills. The recipe is a no-fail by Martha Stewart and is one of those easy recipes that looks much more complicated than it is.

Dinner was fabulous.

The salmon was moist and flavorful. Derek is the salmon master. ๐Ÿ™‚

While Derek was working on the salmon, I roasted asparagus and microwaved a rice pilaf for the side.

When do you usually hang holiday decorations? The day after Thanksgiving or the week before?

I hope everyone had a great long weekend! Good Night!

1 Chef Katelyn November 27, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Herbed yogurt = simplicity at its finest. Delicious!
Chef Katelyn recently posted..This is Thanksgiving Healthy Living, Betches.

2 Marty November 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Day after Thanksgiving is definitely when I break out my bins of Christmas decs. I don’t jump the gun and do it before because turkey decor and Santa Claus decor don’t necessarily go well together. Martha Stewart would not be proud of that combination!
Marty recently posted..My 1st Libbyโ€™s Pumpkin Roll Cake

3 Sana November 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ I love it when boys cook! Are you not a fan of rice? I love ittt!
Sana recently posted..I am the brother

4 wymberley November 28, 2011 at 12:06 am

I think every ornament I loved got broken in our move. I look forward to December 26 so I can buy clearance PLASTIC ornaments! Till then, construction paper reindeer.
wymberley recently posted..Random Recap and Peeing My Pants

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 28, 2011 at 12:33 am

YAH love when a boy cooks for me!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Pushups

6 Kate November 28, 2011 at 12:37 am

There’s nothing better than a man that can cook, right? That beer looks great. I can’t find it anywhere around me, though!
Kate recently posted..Thanksgiving

7 Chuck November 28, 2011 at 1:47 am

I got my tree today! Had to go to 2 different Walmarts to find it though! I even bought a Christmas Tree scented candle to light next to it and make it seem more real lol
Chuck recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving

8 erica November 28, 2011 at 2:09 am

i put up our tiny (fake) tree the day after thanksgiving and hung the ornaments today! ๐Ÿ™‚ i miss having a bigger (and real) tree, but these tiny fake ones make setting up a breeze! lol.
erica recently posted..the holidays are here!

9 Jacqueline November 28, 2011 at 2:36 am

Salmon looks great! Yum!

10 michelle November 28, 2011 at 2:58 am

We have absolutely no Christmas decorations. It’s pretty sad. We went to a Christmas market here in Germany yesterday and it was out of this world! Now I’m in the holiday spirit and will go shopping today to get a tree.
michelle recently posted..Rhine River Castles, Boat Cruise, and Rudesheim Christmas Market

11 Molly November 28, 2011 at 3:33 am

What’s a ride pilaf?

12 Meghann November 28, 2011 at 11:05 am

It’s this new invention I had where you ‘ride’ the pilaf to the salmon and enjoy a great big bite. Orrrr…. I just had a typo. My bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Molly November 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You ha a typo?

Since blogging is your job, you really should either proofread or hire an editor.

14 Corey @ Learning Patience November 28, 2011 at 7:04 am

Your tree looks great! It really gets ya in the Christmas spirit doesn’t it?
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Segway Barbados = So Much Fun

15 Army Amy* November 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

My husband likes to decorate right after Thanksgiving. I prefer to wait until December.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Prezzies for my Peoples

16 Hope November 28, 2011 at 8:04 am

Your tree looks great! ๐Ÿ™‚ Isn’t it the best when guys cook for you? I love when my fiance cooks dinner. It’s rare and it’s nothing spectacular but it’s special and nice that he does that. The salmon looks delicious!
Hope recently posted..Sleepless in Philadelphiaโ€ฆ

17 Amanda November 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

Way to go, Derek! Food always tastes better when someone else makes it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Amanda recently posted..Spiced Apple Cider Sorbet

18 Ash Bear November 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

We normally decorate the apartment the day we return from Thanksgiving in Savannah. But, this year we’re doing it in stages since we’re having our apartment painted this week!!!! This weekend I bought a fresh wreath, put out our holiday candles, and decorated the table and sofa!
Ash Bear recently posted..Barbecue Three Ways

19 Emily November 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

The dinner looks DELICIOUS, your tree looks pretty, and I love that dogfish head beer. That’s my favorite pumpkin beer I have tried so far!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMoโ€“Day 27

20 Evelyne November 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

That’s the tinyest portion of rice ever!!!

21 Meghann November 28, 2011 at 11:03 am

I know. I made one of those Green Giant frozen rice pilafs and the box produced a lot smaller portion than I was expecting. I only took a little so the boys could have more, it was my fault for not realizing how little the serving would be for three people instead of two.

22 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 5, 2011 at 6:43 am

Ha, I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed it looked like a tiny amount. I don’t usually pay attention to the portion sizes, but the salmon looked like a giant next to it (no complaints here, hehe). The boys were lucky you felt like sharing a little more for their sake. <3
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Oreo cameos and condiment wallpaper – Food art

23 Cait's Plate November 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh my gosh that salmon seriously looks absolutely perfect. If Derek ever wants to come over and make me some he’s more than welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

I definitely start decorating right after Thanksgiving is over – gotta maximize the holiday goodness!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Last Seconds

24 Heather November 28, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love “finding” things I had bought the year before after Christmas! I plan to hit up some decorations on sale the day after Christmas myself this year. You have inspired me to wrap some gifts today!
Heather recently posted..Turkey Trot 5k 2011

25 Kristen November 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Yum, I am so trying that recipe! It looks so easy, surprising for Martha…LOL!

Christmas decor is 50% up, still need to pull the wreath and tree from the attic, my goal is to be finish this week. Then on to shopping and wrapping presents for the tree!

26 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Since I’m not there to harass her about it anymore, my mom puts off decorating for christmas until about 2 weeks beforehand… And that salmon really does look good! I wish I had someone to make me dinner!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..No Soup For You!

27 Lauren November 28, 2011 at 11:51 pm

That salmon looks awesome, I’m going to gave to check out that recipe!
We usually decorate the week after thanksgiving. We get a real tree and our 4 yr old cat still climbs it like a kitten…I’m not sure it would survive an extra week with him ๐Ÿ˜‰ I might start a bit this week, once December hits!
Lauren recently posted..Cranberry Sauce & Memereโ€™s French Meat Stuffing

28 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 5, 2011 at 6:41 am

That salmon looks heavenly. I’m so glad he doesn’t skimp on the sauce….it looks like the perfect amount to get a good taste in every single bite, yum.