more ยป" />

Paper Lanterns

by Meghann on November 23, 2011

We made it to Titusville! Thanksgiving festivities have officially begun! Woo hoo!

I had a big ole hunk of No-Bake Pumpkin Protein PIe as a snack this afternoon before we left

And we stopped for subs at Publix on the way into town. I had the Cranberry Turkey special which had turkey, bacon, and cranberry sauce. It was amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

My brother and his fiance are getting married near the beach in February and have this crazy romantic idea of releasing (100% biodegradable) rice paper lanterns near the water during their reception. They’re still working on the permit process of legally being allowed to release 100+ lanterns in the night sky, but figured it would be fun to order a dozen or so for a test run first.

IMG_1916.JPG

We took the lanterns to an open field and had a go with seeing how they worked.

IMG_1920.JPG

The results were amazing. They were like shooting stars casually floating through the sky. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

Can you imagine the sky being filled with hundreds of them? Talk about a beautiful way to celebrate a new marriage! I can’t wait to see her vision come to life!

After the lanterns I had a little something to quench my thirst.

IMG_1947.jpg

Then this happened…

IMG_1953.JPG

Before I had a chance to stop him, my Dad had dug into the Caramel Pecan Pie Megan and I had made last night. I was hoping to save it for Thanksgiving tomorrow, but what can you do? If people want pie, then you give them pie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had a small sliver with some vanilla ice cream and was impressed with how rich and delicious the pie was.

IMG_1950.JPG

It was a tad runny in the center, but the flavor was all still there. Even the homemade crust was flaky and perfect. We did good. ๐Ÿ™‚

My alarm is set early for a little Thanksgiving run with my siblings.

Good night!

1 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete November 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm

The whole concept of those paper lanterns sounds so incredibly romantic!! I hope they end up getting a permit!

If we had pies already made, you can bet we would be having it right now!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Arizona Ironman: Pre Race Activities

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 23, 2011 at 11:05 pm

That no bake pumpkin pie sounds good! Enjoy your run in the morning – I’m doing the same with my hubby and brother! Happy Thanksgiving!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Guest Post: Holiday Meals

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I’ve never heard of paper lanterns that float into the sky like that. How original and beautiful! That will make for some awesome pictures ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Thanksgiving!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Coconut persimmon smoothie

4 Sana November 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

My dad always eats desserts when my mom makes them for someone else!!!

5 Army Amy* November 23, 2011 at 11:28 pm

The lanterns look so cool! I hope they can do it on the big day.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Things Runners Do

6 Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath November 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Yum…I love turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath recently posted..New Here?

7 wymberley November 24, 2011 at 12:49 am

What did you think of the Blue Moon harvest? I was sad it did not have a more mulled cider taste. It was not very pumkiny to me. but I still liked it!
wymberley recently posted..Something Different For Breakfast

8 Jess @JessCantCook November 24, 2011 at 12:58 am

I’ve never heard of those lanterns either, I bet that will be beautiful! Glad to hear they are biodegradable ๐Ÿ™‚
Jess @JessCantCook recently posted..Getting Our Football On

9 Laura November 24, 2011 at 1:26 am

Is your sister-in-law a fan of Tangled, by any chance? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just make sure you’re careful!

10 Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy November 24, 2011 at 4:36 am

When we were in Thailand at New Year’s, they release a ton of them into the sky at night and it’s incredibly beautiful! Hope they get the permits, and make sure they release them far away from the trees – if yours gets stuck in a palm tree it’s embarrassing ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy recently posted..Women & Muscles: Apples & Oranges, or Birds of a Feather?

11 Lyka Ricks November 24, 2011 at 5:46 am

The Paper Lanterns are Cool! Fireworks are already common for festivities and even lavish weddings. Paper Lanterns sound creative and not that common for some. They will be truly amaze on sky gazing for sure.
Lyka Ricks recently posted..Making Ethanol

12 Sarah November 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

the paper lantern is such a cute idea. We always let them off after all of the fireworks finish on the 4th of july.
Sarah recently posted..Marathon High?

13 Lacey @ Lake Life November 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

What do they use for the ring in the lanterns? I live on a lake and every holiday people set them off but then the rings end up floating up on everyone’s beach.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Finger Lakes Foliage

14 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday November 24, 2011 at 9:35 am

I`ve seen the paper lantern thing done at an outdoor wedding before and it was gorgeous! I don`t think they quite had 100 though. I imagine that would really light up the sky.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

15 abegail November 24, 2011 at 9:50 am

Paper Lanterns sound creative and not that common for some.Hope you had a great dinner..Happy thanks giving day!
abegail recently posted..flat rate movers

16 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT November 24, 2011 at 10:20 am

That sounds so nice, a run with your family! I hope you guys have a great Turkey Day! I love those paper lanterns. ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Mountain Series, Level 10, Backwards.

17 Cait's Plate November 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hahahah – I can’t blame your dad, that looks pretty incredible! And the positive side is you got a delicious dessert out of it too ๐Ÿ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

18 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm

What a wonderful idea, that would be so beautiful!!!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Blessing in Disguise

19 Axel November 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Where do you get paper lanterns? Can you make them yourself?

Happy Thanksgiving!