more ยป" />

Tempo Time

by Meghann on November 22, 2011

I’m a runner who loves a plan I can sink my teeth into.

Screen shot 2011-11-22 at 9.40.17 AM.png

(training plans are a beautiful, beautiful thing ;) )

Running for fun is, well, fun, but it doesn’t compare to the thrill of setting a goal and accomplishing it. I love direction, I love results, and I love a good plan that will take me there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Training for the St. Petersburg half marathon technically began last week, but I’m still in that first love stage where waking up to see what’s on the agenda next feels like Christmas. ๐Ÿ™‚

Screen shot 2011-11-22 at 9.20.25 AM.png

Since I’m easing my way back into speed training (I seriously feel like I’m starting from scratch), this morning’s tempo was a light one. Just four miles with two in the middle at 8:30. Not bad, right?

I started with a warm up mile at 9:20, then pushed my legs to pick the speed up to 8:30. Once my legs started moving, I had to hold them back from going any faster – they wanted to fly, but I didn’t want to burn out too soon.

The tempos ended up being 8:20, which felt just right. I wasn’t dying at the end and knew I could have gone a bit faster if I pushed it. The final mile was a 9:04 – I love how the miles after a tempo set are always slightly faster than the miles before a set. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a long way to go to run 13.1 miles at an 8:00 mim/mi pace, but I’m ready to put in the time. One step at a time. One step at a time.

My post-run breakfast was fun.

That’s a tortilla with a spread of pumpkin, peanut butter, and pumpkin butter that I topped with granola and toasted for a few minutes under the broiler. Let’s call it a Pumpkin Breakfast Pizza. It was amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

With a side of apple slices.

Yummy.

Time to start the day!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 22, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’m like you, I love racing for results. I’ve yet to run a race for “fun” and honestly think I’d struggle with that mentality. I way too competitive with myself. I just ran the Philly half this past weekend and literally just pressed purchase on the Palm Beach half in less than 2 weeks! I know I’m trained better this year than last and want to see what I’m capable of!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Butternut squash & apple rice bake

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

Looks like a strong plan! I love the structure that a training plan offers – all you have to do after it’s created is just get up and go! Love the pumpkin pizza idea!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Fall Produce: Carrots and Parsnips

3 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

what an interesting breakfast! i love that idea.

your training plan looks good! i love organized plans… and color coding!! (nerd alert).
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..candy cane crispy treats.

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City November 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

I agree, I love running and would run whether or not I have a training plan but I like having some sort of structure behind my workouts. I also like putting long runs and hard or different workouts on my schedule as something to look forward to!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..OOIAPBJ

5 Sara November 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

Great job on the tempo miles! Although… for a true tempo to be effective, you need to hold it for at least 20 minutes. The purpose of a tempo is to run at your lactate threshold, which helps you endure a greater intensity for a longer period of time, before your legs fatigue. It takes the body about 20 minutes to get into that zone, so doing a tempo run for less than that doesn’t really do anything to improve your speed/lactate threshold. (At least that’s what my coaches in college would tell me… we did tempo runs A LOT. Here’s a link to a helpful article – http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=7479&PageNum=1 )

Maybe the training plan meant for you to do 4 miles at tempo pace? Just something to think about! Good luck with your training!
Sara recently posted..Friends-giving (and Maple-Cider Brined Turkey with Bourbon-Cider Gravy)

6 sarahsaysrun November 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I agree with you Sara, i know it’s early on in your training plan, but you have enough running history to challenge yourself more. Two miles at tempo pace might be ok for a 5 or 10K but you’ll need to hold that pace for alot longer in a 13.1.

This is purely out of “i know you can do this” but I think you are definitely capable of upping your mileage a little more. Another mile here and there making a 6-miler a 7-miler will help you in the long run.

7 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

That looks like the best breakfast pizza EVER!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..A tale of two breakfasts

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 22, 2011 at 10:25 am

where did you get your training schedule from!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..My Roomie and a Full Body Workout!

9 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love having a training plan.. or a plan of any kind. Lists make everything better, in my book!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..First class

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

Looks like a good plan–and a yummy b-fast to boot ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Butterscotch Chia Cookies

11 Elizabeth November 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

I made what you made for breakfast, last night for dinner! That is so funny! I put some eggs in mine though for some more protein. Sounds weird but it was awesome!

12 Alaina November 22, 2011 at 11:37 am

My half marathon training starts soon and I’m hoping to PR too! Although I’m notorious for not really sticking to a plan 100%. I need to work on that… ๐Ÿ˜›
Alaina recently posted..Holiday Week!

13 Army Amy* November 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

I don’t enjoy speedwork, but it pays off!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Decorating Doldrums

14 skinnyrunner November 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

ill pace you to a half marathon pr. of course you gotta come out to the golden state and run here:)

15 wymberley November 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I’m ready for you to come to Texas and run Austin! Or how about a Tough Mudder?
wymberley recently posted..Something Different For Breakfast

16 Shannon November 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Nice training plan! Love your breakfast idea! I’m so typical with oatmeal, so I’m going to try to change things up soon.
Shannon recently posted..Space Coast Race Playlist