It’s Hot Outside

by Meghann on November 22, 2011

It’s hot outside today. Ridiculously hot, even for Florida.

It’s so hot that I was even craving a salad for lunch. I usually stop craving salads right around September, but today it just sounded right.

The base? Fresh kale massaged with olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar then left to marinate in the fridge for an hour.

Toppings? Hard boiled egg, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, carrot, and walnuts.

I wish I had some sort of soft cheese to sprinkle on top, I think that would have really completed the salad. Over all it was great, but definitely missing some cheese.

My side of carb included my ‘quick and easy’ version of garlic toast.

Toast bread. Lightly spray toast with Pam. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Done.

πŸ™‚

For all my Skinny Peppermint Mocha Starbucks fans – here’s a slightly cheaper, slightly skinnier version I created this afternoon.

IMG_1790.jpg

One non-fat iced coffee with one pump of sugar free peppermint and one pump of sugar free mocha.

Love. πŸ™‚

1 Caitlin C. November 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Garlic salt added to toast? Genius!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Birchbox Love

2 Army Amy* November 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm

That salad is huge! You can’t go wrong with a big bowl o’ veggies!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Decorating Doldrums

3 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

oh i love this! i’ve been spending a fortune on skinny peppermint mochas.

please feel free to send some of that warm weather up to chicago where it is 40 degrees and raining. thank you πŸ™‚
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..candy cane crispy treats.

4 emily November 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Yay! I’m heading to Miami for Thanksgiving and your title makes me so happy πŸ˜€
emily recently posted..Yes, You Want Cake

5 Shannon November 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Pam? On bread? Really? That’s… interesting.
Shannon recently posted..Bread Bakers Apprentice: Light Wheat Bread

6 Meghann November 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yep πŸ™‚ It’s something I started doing when I was little because I was never a fan of how hard butter was to spread.

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Send some heat our way! It’s not really that cold here in Ontario yet (by Canadian standards – it would be for you!) but I’ll take hot weather any day!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Fall Produce: Carrots and Parsnips

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I didn’t know they had sugar free peppermint and mocha!!! Genius.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..My Roomie and a Full Body Workout!

9 Laura November 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

You have warm weather and we’re drowing in a monsoon in Portland. I’m going to be stuck on a treadmill tonight and I’m not happy about it.
Laura recently posted..The Runner’s Christmas List

10 Julia @ The Bosky Blog November 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Mmm that salad looks delicious!

I have never massaged oil into kale, I am fairly new to eating it but have just been eating it raw and rough! Sounds delicious!
Julia @ The Bosky Blog recently posted..Girl, You Talk Too Much

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Totally trying that “cheap” (that’s a relative term in Starbucks land!) version out!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Butternut squash & apple rice bake

12 Deva @ Deva by Definition November 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Have you thought of maybe getting a misto with olive oil to spray on your toast instead? πŸ™‚
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..I did it OrMy First 5k

13 Meghann November 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I own one, but I am not a fan of it. I got a really nice one for Christmas a couple of years ago, but you have to pump it to get it to spray and it’s not very reliable. Sometimes I just like being lazy. πŸ™‚

14 Tami November 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hot in fla and we’ll have lots of snow here to morrow in new Hampshire! No school I hope

15 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

That’s almost exactly how I do a peppermint mocha! The sugar free peppermint this year is pretty much my favorite invention ever!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Thanksgiving 2011: The Menu

16 Cait's Plate November 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

That salad looks incredible. I just want to dive head-first into it. I can’t believe it’s so hot there – I could literally see my breath while running this morning!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hoboken Foliage Tour

17 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 22, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Mmm that drink sounds perfect! Their usual holiday lattes are soooo flippin expensive.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..First class

18 Hilary November 22, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Definitely not hot here…brrrrr! I’ve gotta try the whole massaged kale thing…I’m a kale lover and it looks GOOD!
Hilary recently posted..Don’t run in horror…

19 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Not gonna lie, I had almost the same exact salad today! It’s soo hot in FL today, yuck. I was wishing it was colder!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Running Music–Techno Edition

20 Hillary November 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Haha did you serve your salad in a serving bowl? I do that all the time. Glad I’m not the only one!
Hillary recently posted..Suck It Up

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

It is NOT hot here (visiting inlaws in UT), so enjoy!

I love salads no matter what time of year, though πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Butterscotch Chia Cookies

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I’m jealous of the heat! It’s cold & rainy in PA! I’ll take the heat & humidity any day! πŸ™‚
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sweet Potato Soup

23 Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

They have SF peppermint and mocha?? Good to know!
Lauren recently posted..The Best Leftover Meal

24 Britt @ Run with Britt November 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Genius! I wish I would have came up with that drink myself. πŸ˜‰ I’m just going to have to hop on over to Starbucks tomorrow before class. πŸ™‚
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Rock N’ Roll Marathon Video!!!

25 Kiah November 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hot outside? I am running in mittens! Lucky girl.
Kiah recently posted..professional development (and some hoops)

26 Sana November 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm

You are hot and I am cold! I also had the warm version of the skinny peppermint mocha πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Trapped in the Rain!

27 Sara@RunningInPinkProject November 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Im not loving the idea of it being hot in November down there. Its making me not want to move to Tampa. I am a cold weather girl!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Ive Been Hot For 45 Hours

28 Christine @ BookishlyB November 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm

All I’ve wanted is spinach salads lately and it’s 60 degrees where I’m at. I’m guessing it’s a tad warmer in sunny Florida…
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Lucky to Be Alive